Author Topic: Jaboticabaholics Anonymous  (Read 387507 times)

FlyingFoxFruits

• Prince of Plinia
  • www.FlyingFoxFruits.com
    • USA, FEMA Region IV, FL Zone 9a
    • View Profile
    • Flying Fox Fruits
Re: Jaboticabaholics Anonymous
« Reply #1375 on: September 01, 2019, 05:40:53 PM »
I got a lil baby Grimal Seedling and was wondering how mamy years this cultivar takes to flower.

5-7y

4 if lucky or good conditions, 8 or longer if unlucky or poor conditions.
www.FlyingFoxFruits.com

www.PLINIAS.com

https://www.ebay.com/usr/flyingfoxfruits

www.youtube.com/FlyingFoxFruits

https://www.instagram.com/flyingfoxfruits/
I disabled the forum's personal messaging system, please send an email to contact me, FlyingFoxFruits@gmail.com

Jabba The Hutt

• Appleton, New York, 6b/Pine Island, Bokeelia, Florida 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #1376 on: September 01, 2019, 11:07:06 PM »
This is a thread for those who have a problem.  This isn't a thread for the casual jaboticaba grower...such as the growers who're satisfied with one or two varieties.  If you find yourself thinking about new varieties of jaboticaba several times a day, you have found the right place. 

Go ahead and contribute to the discussion, and you'll be an official member of J.A.  I ask that everyone please refrain from using real names, and defer to profile usernames...so we can remain anonymous.  ;D  ;)

here is a prayer to get our first meeting started:

God, give me grace to accept with serenity
        the jabuticabeiras that I cannot cultivate,
        Courage to collect the jabuticabeiras
        which should be grown,
        and the Wisdom to distinguish
        one from the other.

Adam,
Are you still running the JA? You got me started when I lived in NY, seeing all your strains, got me craving so badly, never even had a Jaboticaba before but instantly fell in love. I knew I had to seek these out and get a taste... Moved to Pine Island so my wife and I could get our fix on. Got our hands on a blue and red Jabba and we sprouted our 1st seedlings from Sabra(from our very 1st hit of Jabba ever) Oooooh it feels so good!!!

PS... Thanks a lot :-X :P

FlyingFoxFruits

• Prince of Plinia
    • View Profile
    • Flying Fox Fruits
« Reply #1377 on: September 02, 2019, 12:14:41 AM »
Hi Jabba!

it's nice to hear from you!

I'm still down and dirty, here is a recent video we made!  and part 2 coming soon!  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UtxvhXFRFrc&feature=share
Error 404 (Not Found)!!1

and check out this pic i made a while ago, maybe u can use it for your profile pic...brazilian grape minds think alike! :P 8)

Adam,
Are you still running the JA? You got me started when I lived in NY, seeing all your strains, got me craving so badly, never even had a Jaboticaba before but instantly fell in love. I knew I had to seek these out and get a taste... Moved to Pine Island so my wife and I could get our fix on. Got our hands on a blue and red Jabba and we sprouted our 1st seedlings from Sabra(from our very 1st hit of Jabba ever) Oooooh it feels so good!!!

www.FlyingFoxFruits.com

www.PLINIAS.com

I disabled the forum's personal messaging system, please send an email to contact me, FlyingFoxFruits@gmail.com

Jabba The Hutt

• View Profile
« Reply #1378 on: September 02, 2019, 02:05:16 AM »
Oh dear God, that is beautiful!!! Thank you Adam, I'm definitely going to have to slap that bad boy on immediately! My wife and I will have to give that video a watch tomorrow, always looking to learn and grow. I feel so far behind the curve living in NY my whole life, we dealt with only temperate trees there. Every tree feels exotic and exciting! It's truly magical :D We're hoping to meet you one day and see what rare trees we can take home ;) Those videos you did with Pete Kanaris were awesome BTW!
Hi Jabba!

it's nice to hear from you!

I'm still down and dirty, here is a recent video we made!  and part 2 coming soon!  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UtxvhXFRFrc&feature=share
Error 404 (Not Found)!!1

and check out this pic i made a while ago, maybe u can use it for your profile pic...brazilian grape minds think alike! :P 8)

Adam,

OCchris1

• Old Towne Orange, CA 10B
    • View Profile
« Reply #1379 on: September 03, 2019, 01:28:08 AM »
Embrace that feeling of "everything feels exotic"...you can get jaded after a while. Just do your best
-Chris

Jabba The Hutt

• View Profile
« Reply #1380 on: September 03, 2019, 09:03:18 AM »
Embrace that feeling of "everything feels exotic"...you can get jaded after a while. Just do your best

I'll definitely never let myself become complacent, there is always something new to learn and something new to grow, always some new experiment you can come up with, the possibilities are endless!

ScottR

• USA,Arroyo Grande,Calif. 93420,zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #1381 on: September 03, 2019, 11:25:55 AM »
Wow,wow-Adam another great video thanks for taking the time to do these video's and is great to see you visit some of the old timers and get them on video's. Lot's of knowledge to share!! 8) 8)

Jabba The Hutt

• View Profile
« Reply #1382 on: September 04, 2019, 12:24:42 AM »
My wife and I thoroughly enjoyed your video! Can't wait for part 2. ;)

BR

• SWFL
    • View Profile
« Reply #1383 on: October 09, 2019, 07:55:18 PM »

Got my first red jabo today! I think its close to fruiting size. What do you guys think about my plan to nurse it back to health?

-Upgrade to 15gal pot
-50/50 sphagnum/soil mix + perlite
-Holly-tone on top

Any advice? My other jabos are in the ground so I’m not very familiar with keeping them in pots
« Last Edit: October 10, 2019, 07:23:08 AM by BR »

achetadomestica

• FLORIDA 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #1384 on: October 09, 2019, 08:49:45 PM »
It looks a little dehydrated? I would leave it in shade until it
starts flushing new growth and water daily

strflyr78

• Orlando Florida, 9B
    • View Profile
« Reply #1385 on: October 10, 2019, 07:02:35 AM »
How does a jaboticaba respond to kept or seaweed fertilizers?

K-Rimes

• Santa Barbara
    • View Profile
« Reply #1386 on: October 11, 2019, 12:48:25 PM »

I've been using Foxfarm nutrients with similar ingredients. It was flushing great, but it has attracted an aphid infestation unfortunately. Had to cut almost every single fresh growth off to stave it off.

K-Rimes

• Santa Barbara
    • View Profile
« Reply #1387 on: October 11, 2019, 12:49:47 PM »

Got my first red jabo today! I think its close to fruiting size. What do you guys think about my plan to nurse it back to health?

-Upgrade to 15gal pot
-50/50 sphagnum/soil mix + perlite
-Holly-tone on top

Any advice? My other jabos are in the ground so I’m not very familiar with keeping them in pots

I bought a few red jabos from Flying Fox and warmed them up to my environment in shade for 3-4 weeks - Then put them in full sun. They are fine. The ones that I waited just a week in shade and put them in full sun look like yours. I just put them back into shadier areas and they are "healing". I would suggest the same for yours.

TSmith

• Orlando, FL 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #1388 on: October 23, 2019, 10:50:42 AM »

Have you utilized the seaweed fertilizer yet? Any updates?

I use some foliar spray and i do use some of the Fox Farm nutrients as well on many of my plants, including the jaboticabas.

TnTrobbie

• runs with pruners
  • ZonePusher has a spot for that.
    • 10b + 9b FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #1389 on: December 08, 2019, 01:23:16 PM »
Need some help identifying these two jabos. A and B.

Could "B" be Grimal?

The Earth laughs in flowers. And bear gifts through fruits.
No where to plant it ...but at least I got it. ;)
F*ck squirrels and deers

OCchris1

• Old Towne Orange, CA 10B
    • View Profile
« Reply #1390 on: December 09, 2019, 01:08:51 AM »
A.) Myrciaria strigipes and B.) Grimal w/nutritional deficiencies (Have had the same problems ;))
-Chris

Canvo

• Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #1391 on: February 02, 2020, 05:57:58 AM »

Must admit I am somewhat surprised to see this Cambuca slowly establishing itself on one branch of a mature Sabara.

Indra

• WA,zone 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #1392 on: February 03, 2020, 03:26:16 AM »

Must admit I am somewhat surprised to see this Cambuca slowly establishing itself on one branch of a mature Sabara.

Awesome 👏

FlyingFoxFruits

• Prince of Plinia
    • View Profile
    • Flying Fox Fruits
« Reply #1393 on: May 07, 2020, 08:18:47 PM »
www.FlyingFoxFruits.com

www.PLINIAS.com

joehewitt

• Hilo, Hawaii
    • View Profile
« Reply #1394 on: August 12, 2020, 08:31:43 PM »
Today I was shocked to find the first flowers on my Sapucaia and Rosa de Pescoço trees. These seedlings are only three years old. I am not aware of anyone who has fruiting trees of these varieties outside of Brazil. I can’t wait to taste them! My grafted ESALQ has also begun flowering but that variety has been fruiting in Florida for some time. It seems that Plinia phitrantha is a fast fruiting species. Doesn’t get much faster than 3 years from seed!

Sapucaia:

Rosa de Pescoço:

achetadomestica

• FLORIDA 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #1395 on: August 12, 2020, 08:39:54 PM »
Today I was shocked to find the first flowers on my Sapucaia and Rosa de Pescoço trees. These seedlings are only three years old. I am not aware of anyone who has fruiting trees of these varieties outside of Brazil. I can’t wait to taste them! My grafted ESALQ has also begun flowering but that variety has been fruiting in Florida for some time. It seems that Plinia phitrantha is a fast fruiting species. Doesn’t get much faster than 3 years from seed!

Sapucaia:

Rosa de Pescoço:

Hell yea!!!
I have one of each of those also and my Rosa is the same size. I haven't even checked for
flowers. I will tomorrow morning. Beautiful trees!
Let us know how they taste

Longranger

• USA, Bonsall Ca
    • View Profile
« Reply #1396 on: August 15, 2020, 01:39:13 PM »
This section of the forum makes me angry and sad. How is it even possible to develope an addiction to Jaboticabas? As a compassionate human being I want to help all of you. You must unyoke yourself from your addiction. This is the first in a series of posts to try to help you.

First and foremost your addiction is not the plants fault. Do not project your anger onto the plants. In fact divesting yourself of seedlings and fresh seeds may be the first step in your recovery. Do not panic you can send them to me for safe keeping. This is just a small first step. We will cure all of you with as many different interventions as needed to get your habit under control.

I am so thankful that I am immune to this syndrome and will do everything in my power to help you. You will be shocked at how much better you will feel just taking the first recommended step. I will stay in touch. Remember you can all return to pre Plinia normalcy.

TheGivingTree

• Florida Zone 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #1397 on: August 15, 2020, 01:52:57 PM »
Which is the best variety in terms of fruiting, growing, taste, etc.?

Dirt Diva

• Houston, Tx 9A
    • View Profile
    • YouTube Channel for the DivingTemptress
« Reply #1398 on: August 15, 2020, 06:27:39 PM »
I had no idea that I had a weakness ... thought I had the will power ...
Now I know I need this support group

Please make me an official member of the Jabo Anonymous Society.  I have plenty of peat and hollytone I just hope I have the will power to wait for the fruits

The best part is knowing that I am in good company !!!

P J, the Dirt Diva
P J, the DivingTemptress and Dirt Diva

FLnative

• Palm Beach County Florida 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #1399 on: August 16, 2020, 10:14:48 AM »

Rosa de Pescoço:

Congratulation on your flowering these seedlings in only three years! I also have a Rosa de Pescoço about the same age and was concerned about lanky growth habit, but see it's normal.  Thanks for posting.