Author Topic: Redland Fruit Festival June 16th-17th Say hello to Pepe's Fruit Trees  (Read 4445 times)

ggpalms

• Pepe's Fruit Trees
  • Eat more fruit! Plant a tree!!
    • Davie, Florida USA
    • View Profile
    • Pepe's Fruit Trees
Hello friends,

I am looking forward to a great event next week and maybe meeting some of you.
Redland Summer Fruit Festival and Fruit Tree Sale
Fruit and Spice Park
Here is a partial list of my inventory:

3 gal Canistel Eggfruit grafted varieties
1 gal Dragon Fruit "Delight" "Makisupia" "Purple Haze" "American Beauty" All rooted cuttings.
3 gal South Florida Low Chiil Persimmon Trees grafted
3 gal Atemoya Geffner, Lisa and  Priestly grafted on Cherimoya root stock
1 gal Green Ischia Fig Trees rooted cuttings
1 gal Panache "Tiger Fig" Trees rooted cuttings
1 gal Israeli "Schar" Fig Trees rooted cuttings
3 gal Violet De Bordeaux Fig Trees rooted cuttings
3 gal Brown Turkey Fig Trees rooted cuttings
3 gal Texas Blue Giant Fig Trees rooted cuttings
3 gal Golden Celeste Fig Trees rooted cuttings
3 gal LSU Purple Fig Trees rooted cuttings
3 gal Dwarf Julie Mango Trees grafted
1 gal seedlings also of guava, sapodilla, loquat, avocado and more. Get some and graft on to them.
1 gal Soursop seedlings, Miracle Fruit seedlings, Cherimoya seedlings also. 8)

All items are available on a first come basis. Please call me if you want to confirm the item is not sold out before you arrive.
954-740-4070

We will also have Fabric Grow Bags Not cheap low quality ones! Top quality UV Nylon treated double stitched and double strength seams. With handles and or velcro sides for easy transplanting.

Also we will offer Maxicrop Norwegian Sea Kelp and other great products.

Visit http://www.pepesplants.com for more information.

Hope to see you on June 16/17

Jason "Pepe"
 8)

Fruitguy

• Zone 10b - Miami, FL
    • United States, Miami,Florida Zone 10b
    • View Profile
I noticed that you are using cherimoya as a rootstock for various atemoyas.  Since cherimoya have such poor reputation for fruiting here in Florida, have you (or anyone) grown out these grafted plants to see how well they do?  I realize that fruiting and use as a rootstock are two different things, but I am curious nonetheless.  Also if anyone has fruited cherimoya here in Florida, please share your experience as to environmental factors and taste.

Thank you.

murahilin

• Administrator
    • USA Greenacres, Florida Zone 10b
    • View Profile
I noticed that you are using cherimoya as a rootstock for various atemoyas.  Since cherimoya have such poor reputation for fruiting here in Florida, have you (or anyone) grown out these grafted plants to see how well they do?  I realize that fruiting and use as a rootstock are two different things, but I am curious nonetheless.  Also if anyone has fruited cherimoya here in Florida, please share your experience as to environmental factors and taste.

Thank you.

I've have pics of a fruiting cherimoya at Excalibur. It was in a giant 100g container but I can't remember if it was a grafted cultivar or not. It didn't have many fruit. Probably around 5 or so? That was like 4 years ago so I could be completely off on the number of fruit on the tree.

Fruitguy

• Zone 10b - Miami, FL
    • United States, Miami,Florida Zone 10b
    • View Profile
Very cool!  I never bought into the argument that they wouldn't fruit here due to us being at sea-level.  I've seen them fruiting at sea-level on the southern coast of Spain.  Glad to hear it is possible.  :)

ggpalms

• Pepe's Fruit Trees
  • Eat more fruit! Plant a tree!!
    • Davie, Florida USA
    • View Profile
    • Pepe's Fruit Trees
Cherimoya rootstock is in my experience better suited for grafted Atemoya. The Atemoya tree will live longer and have a better resistance to cold snaps. Try it and see!

Special thanks to all that stopped by and said hello at the Fruit N Spice Park Last week!

Jason "Pepe"
http://www.pepesplants.com

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
Very cool!  I never bought into the argument that they wouldn't fruit here due to us being at sea-level.  I've seen them fruiting at sea-level on the southern coast of Spain.  Glad to hear it is possible.  :)

Fruitguy, look at the latitude of coastal Spain (35N-42N), Very different from latitude of coastal Miami (25N)! Southern Coastal Spain is about same latitude as northern part of Southern California, which is also great cherimoya growing area, for example coastal Santa Barbara.
Oscar

Mike T

• Zone 12a
  • Cairns,Nth Qld, Australia
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
Oscar I have seen latitudinal limits for sugar apples,atemoya and cherimoya published for Australia.For coastal climates cherimoyas have been quoted as suitable for 28 to 42 latitude,atemoyas 17 to 35 latitude and sugar apples 10 to 26 latitude.There will be considerable variation between varieties I imagine.

Jackfruitwhisperer69

• Zone 11b
    • View Profile

Not only the southern coast of Spain has them....southern Portugal, Azores, Canary Islands and yours truly Madeira Island...Cherimoya's are probably the most common fruit tree you will find here. There is even named cv. that are genetically improved and high yielding ''Export varieties'' just to name a few...Funchal, Perry vidal, Madeira and Mateus 1.
Time is like a river.
You cannot touch the same water twice, because the flow that has passed will never pass again.
Enjoy every moment of your life!

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
Oscar I have seen latitudinal limits for sugar apples,atemoya and cherimoya published for Australia.For coastal climates cherimoyas have been quoted as suitable for 28 to 42 latitude,atemoyas 17 to 35 latitude and sugar apples 10 to 26 latitude.There will be considerable variation between varieties I imagine.

That might be true for Australia, but keep in mind Florida is a very different situation from Australia. Florida is surrounded by very shallow and warm Caribbean ocean.  Average temperatures in 25N Miami are much warmer than here at Hilo 19N due to our much deeper and cooler ocean water! I think also Australian waters are much cooler than Caribbean waters.
Oscar

Mike T

• Zone 12a
  • Cairns,Nth Qld, Australia
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
Yes Oscar that is correct.I think Miami might be more like 22 latitude here and there is a big change at about 20 latitude with the coral sea and gulf of carpentaria.Miami I believe has quite low winter mins and can get in the low 30's.The lats I suggested are just a guide and climate does have many local influences as you advise.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk