Temperate Fruit & Orchards > Temperate Fruit Discussion

Best performing blueberry varieties

(1/5) > >>

Plantinyum:
Hi, which are your best performing blueberries ? I'm looking for reviews on taste, production ,fruit size etc.
What do u do to acidify the soil? I have several bushes planted in pure pine forest top soil which are doing great, but i'm considering of planting more and changing the soil is a huge chore for me. So what would u recommend for amending clayish type soil? Would the plants be okay just planted in such soil which has been ammended with acidifying fertilizers ?
Also I have the following varieties ; bluecropp, darrow and two unknown , others I should consider ?
Thanks very much !!!☺☺😀

Triloba Tracker:
The only way i know to lower soil pH reliably is applying granulated elemental sulfur.
I think a lot of the stuff you read, such as pine straw, peat moss, etc doesn't actually work.

Plantinyum:

--- Quote from: Triloba Tracker on November 24, 2020, 10:08:23 AM ---The only way i know to lower soil pH reliably is applying granulated elemental sulfur.
I think a lot of the stuff you read, such as pine straw, peat moss, etc doesn't actually work.

--- End quote ---
thanks ,so this route should be then..I have watered mine with coffee also ,didnt hurt thought do not know how much it helped .

Daintree:
Our soil here is very alkaline, and there is nothing other than sulfur that will help, and you have to keep adding it all the time. The soil will always revert to its natural pH.  There is a blueberry farm here, and they have to add TONS of sulfur every year, and always will.
If you can, plant them in pots. Then you have total control over the mix. Mine are planted in 20 gallon pots in peat moss and bark, and do great.

Carolyn

Plantinyum:

--- Quote from: Daintree on November 26, 2020, 10:13:58 PM ---Our soil here is very alkaline, and there is nothing other than sulfur that will help, and you have to keep adding it all the time. The soil will always revert to its natural pH.  There is a blueberry farm here, and they have to add TONS of sulfur every year, and always will.
If you can, plant them in pots. Then you have total control over the mix. Mine are planted in 20 gallon pots in peat moss and bark, and do great.

Carolyn

--- End quote ---
thanks Carolyn ! Do u take them in a basement or something for the winter when growing in pots, or do u just let the pot freeze ?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version