Temperate Fruit & Orchards > Temperate Fruit Discussion

cherries in san diego what?

<< < (3/10) > >>

spaugh:
my house is 16 miles inland 1150ft elevation in the hot part of san diego county.  Cherries are not a problem here.  Another mwmber on this forum I know lives nearby in Poway also had tons of cherries on his minnie royal, royal lee.

zephian:

--- Quote from: spaugh on May 11, 2021, 12:34:09 AM ---Cherries like the heat.  Yeah they need some cold to trigger flowering but they grow great during summer when its hot.  They grow them in the central valley near Fresno where is crazy hot.  The cherry harvest will be done here in a few weeks then these things will put on 4-5ft of growth.  Its probably the most vigorous trees I have so plant with caution they want to get giant.

--- End quote ---
Monday we hit 108. All the cherries in our area have responded in kind and I swear they grew a foot overnight.

I grafted some cherries I got from you on my pluot and my 4 in 1 cherry last year and they are producing like mad already, thought they have a tendency to create 'double' cherries.

CherimoyaDude:

--- Quote from: spaugh
link=topic=43803.msg428188#msg428188 date=1620531044 ---these actually grow really easy here but Im super excited for them.  My kids love them and the trees are LOADED this year!  they are royal lee and munnie royal and royal crimson.  All 3 are fruiting here very heavy fruitset. if you live in southern ca, these are awesome trees.

--- End quote ---

Do you sell scions or know a good place to buy them? Having been trying to find good lowchill stonefruit for socal.

Francis_Eric:
So cal Maybe you should get a few native cherry seeds eventually graft yours onto them.

prunus ilicifolia (holly leaf cherry )BAJA CA)desert
*link I saved 5 years ago (I like your plants like Ocean spray (in Apple/ rose family)
Of Nursery (note search does not work that great No results for Prunus(

https://fourthcornernurseries.com/plant/prunus-emarginata/
(edit contact) https://fourthcornernurseries.com/contact/

*random link with Native species  )
https://calscape.org/loc-California/Prunus%20(all)?newsearch=1&srchcr=sc60d81b4464f26

spaugh:

--- Quote from: CherimoyaDude on June 28, 2021, 01:53:46 AM ---

--- Quote from: spaugh
link=topic=43803.msg428188#msg428188 date=1620531044 ---these actually grow really easy here but Im super excited for them.  My kids love them and the trees are LOADED this year!  they are royal lee and munnie royal and royal crimson.  All 3 are fruiting here very heavy fruitset. if you live in southern ca, these are awesome trees.

--- End quote ---

Do you sell scions or know a good place to buy them? Having been trying to find good lowchill stonefruit for socal.

--- End quote ---

Yes I do sell lots of low chil stone fruit I have all the good ones.  It's best to do the grafting in January or February.  If you ask me at that time I will have them.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version