Author Topic: One Seed Loquat Fruit  (Read 1542 times)

sc4001992

• USA, CA, Fullerton
    • View Profile
One Seed Loquat Fruit
« on: May 09, 2021, 03:16:23 PM »
Just curious if anyone else has a loquat tree which grows fruits with only 1 seed. This is not quite a seedless loquat but for me it's probably the closest thing I will get naturally grown.

I have a seedling tree that fruited first time this year where all the fruits had only 1 seed. I didn't notice at first and thought the fruits were on the small side. Then when I realized the fruits only had 1 seed, I thought this might be a neat tree to keep around and see how it does next year.  Since I have so many seedling trees that fruit, sometimes I forget to check for unique fruits like this.

I'll post some photos later.

kapps

• Florida, Zone 10A
    • View Profile
Re: One Seed Loquat Fruit
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2021, 06:05:19 PM »
My Champagne has only one seed.

marklee

• Chula Vista, California Zone 24 or 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2021, 07:08:38 PM »
Jim Neitzel had one he called "onsey-twosey, because of the low seed count.

Oolie

• San Diego
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2021, 07:12:17 PM »
Jim Neitzel had one he called "onsey-twosey, because of the low seed count.

I was thinking of the same fruit.

Seed count doesn't count for much though, unless it's for ease of processing.

sc4001992

• USA, CA, Fullerton
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2021, 07:19:34 PM »
Mark, my fruits on the new seedling tree has only 1 fruit on all of the fruits, not just some fruits. I know that all loquat trees will have maybe one or two fruits with only 1 seed, but not all fruits on the tree with 1 seed (never heard of that yet).

Oolie, it's nice to have only 1 seed or no seed because when you eat it you know there's only one seed to split out and hopefully will have higher flesh to seed ratio.

beicadad

• San Diego
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2021, 07:20:51 PM »
flesh/fruit weight percentage is a more meaningful number. Perhaps you can compare different varieties including the single-seed one

sc4001992

• USA, CA, Fullerton
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2021, 07:42:26 PM »
Well for now, it's to early for this 1 seed fruit, way to small to check out that spec. Maybe next year when it has second crop and if it's still 1 seed per fruit. By the second year of fruiting these loquats are close to their final fruit size. My KT14 & KT18 fruits were small the first year and increased in size now to medium fruits on the second year. Although my KT15 fruits were medium size fruits the first year.

But you bring up a good point. Since I was selling some loquat seeds of three varieties (Vista White, Big Jim, Kosmic), I did review over 200-300 seeds of each type and certain ones do have a better flesh to seed ratio after looking at the size of these seeds I harvested.

I'll take a few photos of the seeds and you can see how small or large the seeds are in these ripe fruits.

mbmango

• LAX, CA
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2021, 12:13:29 AM »
This year I've been getting a good percentage of 1-seed Champagnes.  Although they're smaller outside, they usually have more edible flesh than the multis, so I look forward to them.  Not sure if related, but I had moved my only other tree, so there was much less chance of cross-pollination, since only 2 stalks of Big Jim otherwise.  Will see if the final batch of fruits will have less seeds since they opened after BJ was done.

sc4001992

• USA, CA, Fullerton
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2021, 02:30:02 AM »
My 1 seed seedling tree is in the middle of all my other large loquat trees (8 of them) so it's getting plenty of cross pollination. Next year I should know if its a fluke or the real deal. The fruit is orange flesh and taste very good, similar to my KT4 Teardrop flavor.

JoeP450

• Mahaha Chinook
    • Palm City FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 10, 2021, 08:54:44 AM »
I agree with the one seed idea, it would make eating them easier IMO. Last year I was eating fruit off my mom’s orange type tree (don’t know the cultivar) and I got a one seeded fruit and had this same idea to see if I could fruit it and if fruits would have only one seed......ended up using it as rootstock though for the vista white scions you sent me Kaz ...

Good luck with this low seed count idea, I think a good a neat idea would be to do a small YouTube video opening up randomly selected fruits off your tree next year to show the seed count, would definitely watch that.

-joe

ScottR

• USA,Arroyo Grande,Calif. 93420,zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 10, 2021, 10:37:57 AM »
Some of my seedlings sometimes throw single seeded fruit but not all the time. Wonder if it's environmental thing?

sc4001992

• USA, CA, Fullerton
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 10, 2021, 10:51:44 AM »
Yes, that sounds like a good idea. This year my tree didn't have enough fruits to pick, only a dozen or so small fruits before I noticed this. I did pick some fruits after I noticed the 1 seed and took some photos.

The 1 Seed fruit photos doesn't look so good since I cut the fruits in half in the morning and didn't take the photo until later that day.

sc4001992

• USA, CA, Fullerton
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 10, 2021, 11:10:39 AM »
Well Robert I can tell you this since I had to cut up many loquat fruits this weekend to harvest seeds I'm selling. I had approx. 300 each of the seeds from Vista White, KT4, and KT1-Kosmic fruits. And since I noticed this 1 Seed loquat fruits, I decided to see how many one seed fruits I would find in these 300 seeds harvest. Here's the numbers of 1 seed fruits found in these varieties which by the way are all growing next to each (6 large trees grouped in 20ftx20ft area).

1) Vista White - 11 fruits with 1 seed (out of 300 seeds total) - no I didn't count the total fruits
2) KT1-Kosmic - 2 fruits with 1 seed (out of 300 seeds total)
3) KT4-Teardrop- 3 fruits with 1 seed (out of 300 seeds total)

So to me this shows a rather small percentage of fruits would randomly have only 1 seed. This makes the probability of my 1 Seed loquat tree fruits even more higher that next year I may continue to have fruits with one seed, hopefully 90-100%

When I noticed the 1 seed on my seedling tree and started checking the fruits, I had 6 out of 6 fruits with 1 seed, wasn't checking the seed count of the fruits I ate before this.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk