Author Topic: Lessoned learned by trial/error  (Read 2042 times)

MarinFla

• Deerfield Beach, FL 33442
    • USA, Deerfield Beach/FL, 33442. Zone 10b
    • View Profile
Lessoned learned by trial/error
« on: February 15, 2013, 10:26:11 AM »
I posted this picture of this Maha Chanok scion grafted onto a random rootstock that I intend to make into a dual variety tree. The branches from the crotch were kinda short but I didn't want to wait since I had the scion already. The scion was longer than the branch I was grafting it onto. So I took a chance....and learned the following:
I left the rootstock branch on below the scion even after the graft took. When I saw the rootstock below the scion starting to push new growth I scooped off the swelling buds  thinking the scion would then push instead but it didn't. After doing this a few times I decided to take the risk/chance and hesitantly cut the rootstock branch off below the scion and see what would happen. I went out and checked it a week later and the gamble was worth it... IT WORKED! The scion Maha Chanok buds are now pushing growth 7 months after I did the initial graft!!! <Props to Harry for the Maha Chanok scion back in July!! Thanks again.>
This was taken in November 2012 (4 months after the graft was done)

This was taken today 2-15-12 (7 months after the graft was done)

« Last Edit: February 15, 2013, 11:11:19 AM by MarinFla »

Patrick

• Administrator
    • USA, Palm Beach, FL 33467, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
Re: Lessoned learned by trial/error
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2013, 10:48:49 AM »
It helps that you have leaves below the graft too! That way you still have "solar panels" for the roots!

Ethan

• Central California Z9/9
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2013, 10:55:10 AM »
Congrats Marin, sometimes it helps to take a chance!  A few years and you'll have fruit, what variety are you grafting on next?

MarinFla

• Deerfield Beach, FL 33442
    • USA, Deerfield Beach/FL, 33442. Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2013, 11:07:40 AM »
Congrats Marin, sometimes it helps to take a chance!  A few years and you'll have fruit, what variety are you grafting on next?

Originally I was planning to graft NDM onto the other side but now I am seriously thinking Okrung or that polyembrionic green mango that Sleepdoc has (can't remember the name right now)

natsgarden123

« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2013, 11:46:17 AM »
I like the idea of cocktail mango trees. I have never grafted.  I would like to add other varieties onto my Valencia Pride, if its possible.  There is a grafting class at Gene Joyner's next month-I'm going to attend ( at least try-you know how plans get changed in our business)

HMHausman

• Mod Emeritus
    • USA, Fort Lauderdale, Broward County, Florida, Zone 10B
    • View Profile
    • Pines Ticket Defense, LLC
« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2013, 12:48:27 PM »
I am seriously thinking Okrung or that polyembrionic green mango that Sleepdoc has (can't remember the name right now)

I think he said it was Mun Khun See or Kuhn See, something like that.
Harry
Fort Lauderdale, FL 
USA

adiel

• Zone 10b Miami FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2013, 03:41:37 PM »
Great Job Marin.  :)
Adiel

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk