Author Topic: Is it ok to fertilize with fruit still on the tree?  (Read 1006 times)

edweather

• Kingsland, GA Z9a, HZ9
    • View Profile
Is it ok to fertilize with fruit still on the tree?
« on: January 02, 2021, 11:23:47 PM »
Our orange trees are going to start pushing new growth in a few weeks. Is it ok to fertilize with fruit still on the tree?

poncirsguy

• Cincinnati, Ohio, USA, 6a/6b
    • View Profile
Re: Is it ok to fertilize with fruit still on the tree?
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2021, 09:58:03 AM »
I hope so.  My lemons are turning yellow the tree is pushing out lots of new growth, and it is in heavy flower bud production and I gave it 3 gallons of Miracle Gro 24-8-16

I don't know
« Last Edit: January 03, 2021, 02:41:53 PM by poncirsguy »

Millet

• Colorado
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2021, 02:08:57 PM »
Yes it is OK to fertilize while fruit is still on the tree. Fertilizing can be done with fruit or no fruit on the tree.  However, in your location, I would hold off on fertilizing until Feb. 1st.  It is important to understand that warm weather temperatures, not irrigation of fertilization, play the  MAJOR role in stimulating untimely winter flushes of large mature trees. However, when unseasonably warm temperatures occur, young tees may flush more easily than larger, mature trees, especially trees planted the previous year. If such young trees flush  during winter months, fertilization may simulate additional tender growth, making trees even more susceptible.  Consider the degree of flush, tree size, time of year and geographic location, when making this decision.(Florida dooryard citrus guide).
« Last Edit: January 03, 2021, 04:01:18 PM by Millet »

poncirsguy

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2021, 02:46:01 PM »
My tree is in a lean2 greenhouse so tenderness is not a problem but die-off of new shoots and dropped new fruits is.  So I need to feed.  I was really hopping that with no feed since summer it would not burst out with flowers an growth until march.  I also needed to know about feed time.  Thanks

edweather

• Kingsland, GA Z9a, HZ9
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2021, 03:03:25 PM »
Ok thanks. Seems like the best plan would be to hold of on fertilizing for a few weeks. I think I still need to spray with low biuret urea now though. The blossoms will definitely be forming in 6-8 weeks.

Millet

• Colorado
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2021, 04:11:58 PM »
1.5 to 2 months before expected bloom date is the time to apply the first application of low biuret urea. 

Poncirusguy, as your tree is growing in a protected area, (an artificial 12 month summer), you can fertilize any time.

edweather

• Kingsland, GA Z9a, HZ9
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2021, 05:23:11 PM »
I thought the low buiret urea was to increase the number of blossoms. The blossoms are already formed by the bloom date. So wouldn't  the time to spray be 6 to 8 weeks before the blossoms are formed? My blossoms are visible weeks before they actually bloom.

poncirsguy

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2021, 06:53:31 PM »
What is the difference between low buiret urea  and  High buiret urea.

Millet

• Colorado
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2021, 08:20:47 PM »
edweather, concerning the time to apply the 1st urea spry to increase flowering is indeed approximately 2 months BEFORE the expecte3d bloom date.  As I wrote above.   
« Last Edit: January 03, 2021, 08:48:05 PM by Millet »

edweather

• Kingsland, GA Z9a, HZ9
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 04, 2021, 07:07:44 AM »
Ok, thanks. Got it!