Author Topic: My soursop seedlings (One year update)  (Read 11990 times)

nch

• SoCal
    • View Profile
My soursop seedlings (One year update)
« on: September 29, 2014, 12:35:31 PM »
These cute 5" tall soursops were from seeds kindly given to me by a forum member. I planted the seeds exactly 10 weeks ago today. Only 2 out of the 22 seeds didn't make it. I am planning on keeping them in this planter until next spring before I put them in separate pots, so I can cover them during the wintertime. Please feel free to correct me if I am wrong, but from my limited experience with soursop trees, I notice they lose their leaves when it's cold, and that although they love the hot temperature, they don't like hot sun. They prefer some shade. In the first picture, on the upper left corner you'll notice a stowaway Cherimoya, probably from a previous batch of them grown in this same planter.

[][/img]
« Last Edit: October 27, 2015, 11:24:47 PM by nch »

NewGen

• Zone 10a, Central Valley, CA, USA
    • View Profile
Re: My soursop seedlings
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2014, 02:18:34 PM »
nch,

My experience mirrors yours.  Cold temp can kill soursop. I lost a 5 foot tall tree when temps dropped to mid 30s last year. All leaves dropped, the tree never recovered. I have a couple other ones that only saw low 40s and they did OK. I agree that they don't like full, hot sun. I have a 6 footer whose leaves got burned in the 90s F sun, I moved it into a partial shade area, it recovered quickly, and put out lots of new leaves. You have a great collection in that planter, good luck!

nch

• SoCal
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2014, 04:10:29 PM »
Thanks, Newgen, for sharing your experience. Have your soursops fruited yet? Several years ago, when I didn't know anything about tree planting, I went to Colombia, and brought home a few seeds from a humongous soursop. The fruits they had there were  bigger than a person's head. I took pictures, I'll try to find them to post. The seeds sprouted, but the little plants all died that winter because I left them outside in the yard.  >:(

NewGen

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2014, 06:10:35 PM »
I wish mine would fruit, but I think it's  an uphill battle. My tree is still too immature to even think of fruiting. It's skinny, tree girth is small. I just got it about 6 months ago. Even without any fruits, I love how shiny and green the leaves look, and when you lightly press them between your fingers, they give off a very fragrant, fruity smell.

gnappi

• South East Florida (U.S.A) Zone 10A
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2014, 10:20:36 PM »
Wow! You better hope some die or you're going to have a soursop forest!

FYI, those seeds came from an old south Florida (Broward county) tree that has seen a few cold spells. What seedlings from it will endure is unknown.
Regards,

Gary

nch

• SoCal
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2014, 11:24:56 PM »
Gary, I don't mind a soursop forest in SoCal.   :) I am working toward a little oasis of annonas, mangos, and papayas in my neighborhood.
Newgen, I love the soursops' shiny leaves too. They look so healthy.

gnappi

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2014, 11:54:16 PM »
When I took my soursop home I was AMAZED at the wonderful aroma the leaves gave off in the enclosed space.
Regards,

Gary

nch

• SoCal
    • View Profile
Re: My soursop seedlings (One year update)
« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2015, 11:43:55 PM »
Time to share new photos of my one year old Soursop seedlings. Out of the initial 20 plants, only 10 are left. I gave 2 to my cousin, and the rest died. Out of the 10, 2 are 3ft tall, 2 are 2ft, and the rest around a foot tall. Here are the 3 footers
[imghttp://][/img]
The rest
[][/img]

I also have another one that I bought from Ethan 2 years ago, when it was about a foot tall. It's now 4ft. I am looking for a spot in the ground for it.
[][/img]
« Last Edit: October 27, 2015, 11:47:31 PM by nch »

JF

• North OC California Zone 10B/America Tropical 13A
    • 90631/97000
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 27, 2015, 11:55:23 PM »
Time to share new photos of my one year old Soursop seedlings. Out of the initial 20 plants, only 10 are left. I gave 2 to my cousin, and the rest died. Out of the 10, 2 are 3ft tall, 2 are 2ft, and the rest around a foot tall. Here are the 3 footers
[imghttp://][/img]
The rest
[][/img]

I also have another one that I bought from Ethan 2 years ago, when it was about a foot tall. It's now 4ft. I am looking for a spot in the ground for it.
[][/img]

that's very nice nch you should put that larger one in the ground.

fyliu

• Burbank/Covina, CA 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 28, 2015, 12:19:35 AM »
Very nice! Hopefully you'll have fruits soon.

I'm always amazed at how other people make their plants grow bigger than the pot. Mine always seem to shrink into the pot. Not soursop, just plants in general.

gnappi

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 28, 2015, 06:11:35 AM »
Thanks for the update Nancy. It's remarkable how some seeds thrive and others do not. I'm re-potting my soursop today her's gotten pretty big at over 7' tall next spring I'll put him in the ground... somewhere.
Regards,

Gary

nch

• SoCal
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 28, 2015, 09:16:36 AM »
Thanks, JF, Fang and Gary.
 Fang, you are too humble, I always think of you as a master gardener.
Gary, is your 7' soursop from the same batch of seeds you gave me? If it is, it must be due to the miracle weather of Florida. With my seedlings, location plays a major role, I think (duh). The littlest ones were under a tall Pomegranate, the bigger ones received partial shade. My cousin had hers in full sun, and they were burnt badly. They were the tallest plants when I gave them to her, but now they are the same size as my smallest ones.

gnappi

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 28, 2015, 12:00:49 PM »
Nancy, my tree was bought as a stick around the time I sent you your seeds.

I don't remember if I told you but those seeds came from a mature parent tree that had been through several cold snaps that had severely stunted or killed other soursop in the area. No guarantee this one will do as well but it's a good start if you get cold snaps.

Regards,

Gary

gozp

• West Hills, CA
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 28, 2015, 05:47:23 PM »
Wow, you guyabano looks awesome.

Berto

• Southwest Florida
  • Ready to learn!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 29, 2015, 05:43:13 PM »
I would delay putting a graviola (Annona muricata) in the ground, until it reachs at least six (6) to seven (7) feet tall.  A young tree is very susceptible to cold damage, and may never recover in case of a cold Winter damage.
« Last Edit: October 29, 2015, 05:47:33 PM by Berto »

JF

• 90631/97000
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 29, 2015, 05:58:03 PM »
I would delay putting a graviola (Annona muricata) in the ground, until it reachs at least six (6) to seven (7) feet tall.  A young tree is very susceptible to cold damage, and may never recover in case of a cold Winter damage.

Under 2' August 2014

A year later September 2015 took the winter fine temps got down to 37F in January

gozp

• West Hills, CA
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 29, 2015, 08:20:41 PM »
U think my huanabana wud survive in my area? ( san fernando valley)

Ty

EJO8

• Orange County, CA
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 29, 2015, 09:23:01 PM »

Ty

Probably not, your winters are  too cold. They are fringe even in coastal Southern California.

nch

• SoCal
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 29, 2015, 10:17:57 PM »

Ty

Maybe if you cover it on freezing nights. That's what I plan to do when I put mine in the ground.

JF

• 90631/97000
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 29, 2015, 10:47:18 PM »

Ty

I agree with Eric unless you grow it in a greenhouse or a container and bring it in when it drops below 50F in the AM which is practically the entire winter.

gozp

• West Hills, CA
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 30, 2015, 12:08:57 AM »

Ty

I agree with Eric unless you grow it in a greenhouse or a container and bring it in when it drops below 50F in the AM which is practically the entire winter.

i see.. what will u cover it with?

NewGen

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 30, 2015, 01:37:11 AM »

Ty

Frank,
So your winter temps rarely go down below 50F in  the morning?

Doglips

• Houston TX 9A
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 30, 2015, 06:59:30 AM »

Ty

I'm with you, I purchased a 7 gallon and I think it defoliated at 45 degrees the first year I had it.  It did recover the following year.  My rule of thumb is that the tree will never see 49 or less again.  Garage is not good enough in full winter here, it is a house plant (actually about that time).   I got at least one aborted fruit this year.  So hopes are higher for next year.  I would guess that 50s is full dormant (I know, not true dormancy).

I'm still waiting for Adam to release the "Sour Paw"

Mike T

• Zone 12a
  • Cairns,Nth Qld, Australia
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 30, 2015, 05:51:14 PM »
I have been spoiled for choice with soursop.Tha standard cuban fiberless locally should have been called cuban fiber.I have morado,Arusha and Lisa in the ground and doing well soon to be joined by whitman fiberless. Panama fiberless and Recife plants will need to be given away as I have  no more space for soursops.A seedling from a seeds Whitman himself sent to north queensland is growing in a yard locally. People speak of this tree in hushed tones out of respect it is supposed to be that good and productive unlike it's parent. I have been unable to secure a fruit or location of this specimen yet.

mwambao

• Canada
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 30, 2015, 07:23:05 PM »
They grow very well under very hot Sun of Mombasa Kenya.This picture was taken just Yesterday.
No fertilizer no water.It gets water only during rainy season.
Mourad