Citrus > Cold Hardy Citrus

F2 citrange winter hardiness trial

<< < (74/124) > >>

Walt:
This changes your options.

kumin:
Tetraploidy as well as triploidy may enhance stress tolerance, including cold tolerance in Citrus. This may partially explain the hardiness of both Conestoga # 010 and Conestoga # 011. At this point I suspect that both are tetraploids.

An additional observation has been the twin thorns frequently present on # 011. I'm curious if tetraploidy causes, or contributes to that phenomenon?

https://www.frontiersin.org/articles/10.3389/fpls.2020.00330/full

kumin:
A group of surviving outdoor F2 Citranges. These have been exposed to 2 Winters with lows of +10F degrees. I really won't know their hardiness until we get a colder Winter. These aren't the very hardiest trees. These trees have not been uprooted since the original planting.
<br /><br />

Outdoor planting of F2 Citranges, all grafted on Poncirus. Hoping for a mild Winter!
<br /><br />

Original Citrange trees surviving the past 2 Winters without any protection. There's a planting of American persimmons in the background. The persimmons were grown from seed and have been bearing fruit several years.
<br /><br />

Trunk diameter approaches 1" (2.5 cm) at ground level on this Citrange.
<br /><br />

Three F2 Citranges growing beside each other. The center tree favors Poncirus rather strongly. Each tree has different leaves.
<br /><br />

mikkel:
This is really good work! Thank you for sharing your experience with us!
 Are the plants in the first picture the ones that froze to the ground in the 1st winter and then sprouted again?
If those are already hardy to 10°F, they are probably already hardy enough for many parts of Europe. The -11°F survivors probably can't be topped for citrus hybrids at the moment. That's a big step forward!

Ilya11:
Nice plants with very strong growth over summer. 
A striking demonstration how different are the climates for same zone at East Coast and in the Western Europe.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version