Author Topic: Jackfruit wounded. Should I cut it or cover the wound.  (Read 1150 times)

wonderfruit

• US, Florida, Fort Lauderdale, 10
    • View Profile
Jackfruit wounded. Should I cut it or cover the wound.
« on: March 11, 2021, 11:51:39 AM »

A few years ago a hurricane broke it in half. Still is my biggest jackfruit. All others gave fruit but not this one. This year only 3 male flowers.
Should I try to cover the wound so at least rain does not get inside the hole. Or cut it and graft something new or let the tree come back.?
Thanks for your opinion
Nam Myoho Renge Kyo

cbss_daviefl

• USA, Southwest Ranches,FL 33331, 10B
    • View Profile
    • bfgtropicals.com
Re: Jackfruit wounded. Should I cut it or cover the wound.
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2021, 12:33:21 PM »
I have a few trees with wounds, some for multiple years and I just leave them be. Sooty mold sometimes grows on the dead wood. You can spray with fungicide if you are concerned and it will probably close.
Brandon

K-Rimes

• Santa Barbara
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2021, 12:43:44 PM »
Could use some of that tree wound paint. Trees sustain pretty nasty injuries in the wild and heal up just fine though - there are some oaks around me with 3' holes in them but still growing fine n dandy

wonderfruit

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2021, 05:22:36 PM »
Thanks for adivices. The picture does not hep but the wood area is dead. Ants live there and I think if I don’t do anything the hole will get bigger. May be I painted and fill the hole. Or just cut. But I guess if I cut I have to cut a big peace down
Nam Myoho Renge Kyo

K-Rimes

• Santa Barbara
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2021, 05:28:04 PM »
Thanks for adivices. The picture does not hep but the wood area is dead. Ants live there and I think if I don’t do anything the hole will get bigger. May be I painted and fill the hole. Or just cut. But I guess if I cut I have to cut a big peace down

It is a very difficult decision. It looks like if you cut it out you will lose 50% of the tree, but I can't really tell what it looks like up top. It may continue spreading if it's really bad and gets filled with water or that sort of thing...

I feel for you, that's a bummer

wonderfruit

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2021, 12:09:32 AM »

I found in my garage a half gallon old exterior paint that I poured filling the whole. No fruit yet hopefully they don’t smell like fresh paint
Nam Myoho Renge Kyo

Obg1

• Israel
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2021, 03:37:41 PM »
It will close on it's own. Using paint\sealer will just make it harder for the tree to close the wound. 

sapote

• USA, CA, Burbank, 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2021, 04:43:07 PM »
It will close on it's own. Using paint\sealer will just make it harder for the tree to close the wound.

With the dead wood right in the middle, I don't think it will close the wound, and the decay will get deeper down into the trunk.

With saw, chisel, hammer, cut all of the dead wood off to the living tissue. Then trim off other small branches and save 3 biggest branches. Ideally it should just have one main trunk right at that point but it was left to have many shoots after the trunk broke. With all dead wood removed, it will grow new bark to cover the open wound.

Orkine

• Jupiter, FL, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2021, 06:52:50 PM »
You may have to cut it in the end.
I think a high wind event may break one or more of the branches off at that location.  If it snaps off, then good, if it rips you may lose even more of the tree.

If you are patient and have time, perhaps cut it back and shape it as it regrows.

Sure not the recommendation you wanted to hear but that is my 2 cents.

pineislander

• Bokeelia, FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 22, 2021, 07:41:54 PM »
It's not fruiting anyway so not much to lose by making a clean angled cut and re-structuring the regrowth. I have seen some intentionally cut back to chest high and get back into production in two years.

wonderfruit

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 22, 2021, 11:03:57 PM »
I see your points. Thanks. I l leave it like that for one year. And if the tree does not produce fruit I’ll prepare my saw.
Nam Myoho Renge Kyo

sapote

• USA, CA, Burbank, 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 23, 2021, 06:10:22 PM »
I see your points. Thanks. I l leave it like that for one year. And if the tree does not produce fruit I’ll prepare my saw.
[/b]

Talk to the tree.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk