Citrus > Cold Hardy Citrus

Frosthardiness experience with citrusvarieties in zone 7, down to 3,2 F

<< < (3/35) > >>

Citradia:
Socal2warm, my hybrid citrus die when not covered at all from either too many cumulative days below freezing or from extreme low temps. The ones that broke dormancy in the opened ventilated high tunnel broke dormancy in mid March which is when everything is starting to bloom here. My point was that I get late freezes here and if citrus of any kind other than trifoliata is starting to push new growth, it needs to be kept above freezing at that time or it may die. Today is April 22 and I had a low this morning of 28 degrees and below freezing for five hours. Have had temps in 60’s and 70’s since Early March with one other 29 degree low a few weeks ago. Even my unprotected poncirus has already bloomed. I have to keep my greenhouse frames up and heaters ready to go up until Mother’s Day here. My satsumas and grapefruit are in full bloom and my seedlings and grafted potted citrus are all safe inside my heated enclosures last night and tonight because I am not taking a chance on loosing my crop from last year, still fruit on trees ( grapefruit and Meiwa), or this years blooms, or loosing my trees. My protected citrus grafted on trifoliata and FD actually brake dormancy later than my unprotected trifoliata trees. I think I am doing it right for my roller coaster climate since I have harvested fruit for the past 6 or more years.

tedburn:
here is the final update of the survivors (new green buds and no dry back anymore) and the candidates with still mortal risk (dry back goes on or rootstock got cracks) and the Dunstan which is already died.
Due to our very cold April ( coldest since many years) the plants start very slow growing.
The Thomasville had new shot and this was eaten by an unknown insect, so because the plant is still small I put it in a net for protection for a few weeks.

tedburn:
Now a final conclusion after the winter is possible.
From the 3 candidates with high mortal risk in the last report, the 5* and the HRS 899 finally died but I' m glad to report, that Ichangquat 245 survived. So from 10 frosthardy variants 7 could survive this for citrus very hard winter and spring.
Best regards Frank

nullroar:
Exceedingly helpful! As a 7b-er trying to grow citrus out here, i really appreciate the data!

tedburn:
So I' m glad if my post is useful.
Regards Frank

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version