Author Topic: Pineapple thread  (Read 25945 times)

Mike T

• Zone 12a
  • Cairns,Nth Qld, Australia
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
Re: Pineapple thread
« Reply #75 on: November 27, 2020, 03:50:59 AM »

A couple of weeks ago I noticed they still take the tops off the good types when they are lined up and the tops stay on the regular types.

Mike T

• Zone 12a
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: November 28, 2020, 12:14:09 AM »
I went out to bag myself a good pineapple today. Nothing less that a festival (pina colada) or jubilee will be good enough.

No not Mareeba gold

aussie rough looks good but it is just a type of queen

Aha bagged it and with a name like piņata sounding like pina colada it must be jubilee.
Googled it chums and I have been swindled. It is just a 73-50 and I paid $4 ($US2.80ish) so I bet they are still high 5ing and laughing about it at the market.

Evildeadguy

• Polk County, FL, Zone 9B
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: November 28, 2020, 12:25:05 AM »
I went out to bag myself a good pineapple today. Nothing less that a festival (pina colada) or jubilee will be good enough.

No not Mareeba gold

aussie rough looks good but it is just a type of queen

Aha bagged it and with a name like piņata sounding like pina colada it must be jubilee.
Googled it chums and I have been swindled. It is just a 73-50 and I paid $4 ($US2.80ish) so I bet they are still high 5ing and laughing about it at the market.

The 73-50 is a sweet pineapple. Its parentage includes 54% Cayenne, 20% Mordilona, 13% Pernambuco, 13% Red Spanish and 3% Queen. It was considered by PRI breeders to be a high yielding cultivar with low acidity and high vitamin C ..... It's also the same variety of pineapple grown in Hawaii called Maui Gold
Pineapples i Grow: Natal Queen

spaugh

• San Diego County California
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: November 28, 2020, 12:33:41 AM »
https://www.bangkokpost.com/life/social-and-lifestyle/326398/scientists-step-away-from-the-pineapple
It seems new and fancy varieties get some publicity every so often but they rarely seem o make it o general circulation.

Mike, I just saw this post, missed it when you first posted it.  A guy on this forum send me a coconut flavored pineapple slip to grow.  Apparently its in production in florida already. It will be a while still.  If its good Ill send it to Oz.
Brad Spaugh

Mike T

• Zone 12a
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: November 28, 2020, 12:38:18 AM »
Thanks but I think it is an Australian one I should be able to get locally if I try. Sending plant material here is frowned upon.

Mike T

• Zone 12a
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: November 28, 2020, 12:41:19 AM »
EDG I know they are alright but at least its not 100% cayenne.

Francis_Eric

• 40 miles west of Chicago Aurora IL ZONE 5
    • View Profile
    • https://myspace.com/undisclosedforthetime/
« Reply #81 on: November 28, 2020, 04:30:40 AM »
Yay genetically engineered fruit!

I'd still grow it...

Whats left of the crown in their pic would probably still grow.  Ive had several drilled crowns grow new shoots from the side even though the central growth is gone.

This could drive Business away from DOLE
A educational video on marketing (on NBC AS WELL but link title ruins it)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g0sjRG34DlA

« Last Edit: November 28, 2020, 04:32:11 AM by Francis_Eric »

Francis_Eric

• 40 miles west of Chicago Aurora IL ZONE 5
    • View Profile
    • https://myspace.com/undisclosedforthetime/
« Reply #82 on: November 28, 2020, 04:47:27 AM »
I brought In a pineapple from outside , and it is not growing do yuo think it has gone dormant it is just placed by a window?
I see to cure them you can lay out the tops even for a Month if the growing plant dries up will it die ?

I may have a dead one in a pot , but it does not matter as I have another plant I just placed in same pot
How long will a dead Pineapple show signs of death if it is?

cen

• US, CA/SF peninsula, Menlo Park, 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: December 07, 2020, 01:15:51 AM »
Yay genetically engineered fruit!

I'd still grow it...

Whats left of the crown in their pic would probably still grow.  Ive had several drilled crowns grow new shoots from the side even though the central growth is gone.

(Regarding PinkGlow pineapple) So far, the seeds have been fermented and have been on a wet paper towel in a plastic bag on a heat mat, but have not sprouted. It has only been a couple of weeks. I've had no luck with the crown, though.

(Regarding Kaua'i Sugarloaf pineapple) I get these about once a year for special occasions. This year, they have been warning of a three to eight week lead time due to the harvest, and I wasn't able to time it correctly for either Thanksgiving or Christmas. But the reason I mention this is that I cut into one today and found four seeds. They all came from the same flower site. Three are well formed and one is more flat. Hawaii isn't supposed to have any pollinators, so perhaps this was just a lucky accident. Of course, I'm going to try to grow these seeds. I don't have a greenhouse or an indoor space, so I don't get fruit here, but if they sprout, I'd probably give one away to someone who does get fruit.

strom

• so cal, 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: December 13, 2020, 10:12:46 AM »
Should I bring my new pups/slips (thanks Brad!!) indoors?  Nighttime temps here in coastal so cal 10a are in the high 40F.  Daytime temps have been 60-70F range. 

They have been outside the past several days, but I can put them by a south-facing window that gets light most of the day.  Once my electricity is back, I can even add a heating pad, but I don't think that's necessary, lowest indoor temps are around 55F.

spaugh

• View Profile
« Reply #85 on: December 20, 2020, 12:26:16 PM »
Those temperatures are a bit low but shouldnt kill the babies.  They might be better in the window on a heat mat though.  A greenhouse thats really warm during the day would be ideal through winter.

I had a casualty here.  This was the first cheese pine fruit I had and it got heavy and snapped off.  It still need a couple of months and is compost now  :'(

Heres some new ones from Malaysia.  Thry are supposed to be giant sized, they are called Paun or Puan.  These ones are in 10gal squat pots.

And a couple other new ones nearing flower
This one is a kona pine.  I got it from someone in HI and dont know anything else about it.  Maybe a smooth cayanne cross.  The plant gets really long leaves that are spineless and has a nice coloration.

This one is a josapine from malaysia.  They are supposed to be high end fruit.  The plant is nearly spineless and smaller in size with a really nice purple color.

« Last Edit: December 20, 2020, 12:40:03 PM by spaugh »
Brad Spaugh

Galatians522

• Florida 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: December 20, 2020, 02:04:15 PM »
Is your Paun pineapple the one that can weigh over 20lbs? I had heard there was a cultivar like that, but never knew the name. Too bad about your Cheese Pine. At least you didn't lose it to raccoons.  >:(

spaugh

• View Profile
« Reply #87 on: December 20, 2020, 03:00:00 PM »
I dont know how big it can reach, but they are supposed to be large.  These are photos off the web of large Pinas you can see how large some types can grow.  Pretty awesome. 

Brad Spaugh

Galatians522

• Florida 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: December 20, 2020, 09:14:08 PM »
Wow!

cen

• US, CA/SF peninsula, Menlo Park, 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: December 22, 2020, 07:29:52 PM »
Some PinkGlow seeds harvested on 5 November have begun to sprout.

Evildeadguy

• View Profile
« Reply #90 on: April 01, 2021, 09:59:29 PM »
Those temperatures are a bit low but shouldnt kill the babies.  They might be better in the window on a heat mat though.  A greenhouse thats really warm during the day would be ideal through winter.

I had a casualty here.  This was the first cheese pine fruit I had and it got heavy and snapped off.  It still need a couple of months and is compost now  :'(

Heres some new ones from Malaysia.  Thry are supposed to be giant sized, they are called Paun or Puan.  These ones are in 10gal squat pots.

And a couple other new ones nearing flower
This one is a kona pine.  I got it from someone in HI and dont know anything else about it.  Maybe a smooth cayanne cross.  The plant gets really long leaves that are spineless and has a nice coloration.

This one is a josapine from malaysia.  They are supposed to be high end fruit.  The plant is nearly spineless and smaller in size with a really nice purple color.

The cheese pine pineapple plants I was growing don't grow to well in the part of florida I'm in during winter the cold killed them even with protection over them.. I didn't have any more growing material so I couldn't try again... .most of the pineapple plants I grow like Natal Queen Don't mind the cold and don't take hardly any damage

spaugh

• View Profile
« Reply #91 on: April 01, 2021, 10:08:36 PM »
I can send a cheespine slip next time if you want one.  They seem ok in the hoophouse here over winter but you can tell the plant isn't that hardy.  The queen types are for sure tough.  I got one from malaysia called Sawit that looks like a queen type if you want to try and grow it. 
Brad Spaugh

Evildeadguy

• View Profile
« Reply #92 on: April 02, 2021, 12:15:37 AM »
I can send a cheespine slip next time if you want one.  They seem ok in the hoophouse here over winter but you can tell the plant isn't that hardy.  The queen types are for sure tough.  I got one from malaysia called Sawit that looks like a queen type if you want to try and grow it.

I'll probably pass on the cheese pine but thanks for offering... If the ones you are talking about from Malaysia came from a guy on ebay named Peter I already bought most of what he had to offer I believe back in 2018 or 19 can't remember. most of them did well but Josephine didn't do so well during winter time I ended up selling it to a guy who grows all his pineapple plants inside under grow lights its doing awesome for him so that's good.

I like my Natal Queen the best its awesome tasting and very hardy.... I might want some more Queen Victoria pups again in time.

cassowary

• Australia FNQ 13a Tropical Monsoon
    • View Profile
    • cassowaryseeds
« Reply #93 on: April 02, 2021, 11:15:38 PM »

No not Mareeba gold

Got seeds in Mareeba gold once and lots sprouted, gave em away to a friend with a green house beause I was afraid they would be smashed by the heavy rain.
So they have seeds and there's hope of growing some :D

Anyone know the name of the Red skinned large sweet pineapple? I ate it in Peru and it tasted great, they just kalled it "Pina de la selwa" "pineapple from the jungle" excuse my spanish please :)
It was not the a. bracteatus (pink/white) as that one is very different from what I ate. And it wasn't the small ornamental red/purple pineapple.
CASSOWARYSEEDS.COM
Seed shop and Seed exchange

Viraldonutz

• La Mesa, San Diego, 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: April 07, 2021, 11:12:48 AM »
I just looked at the PinkGlow site, and it seems the price has come down to $29, at least from the West Coast Distributor.
--Jake

spaugh

• View Profile
« Reply #95 on: April 23, 2021, 07:43:59 PM »
Harvested my first malaysian Paun.  It weighs 7 pounds.  Havent cut it up yet.  This was ripened through winter and can maybe get larger if it flowers in spring and ripens during summer.

Brad Spaugh

John B

• USA, San Diego, CA, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: April 23, 2021, 08:36:24 PM »
Harvested my first malaysian Paun.  It weighs 7 pounds.  Havent cut it up yet.  This was ripened through winter and can maybe get larger if it flowers in spring and ripens during summer.

That's a bruiser. How long from veg to harvest?

spaugh

• View Profile
« Reply #97 on: April 23, 2021, 08:57:42 PM »
From small offset to fruit was around 20 months.  Its pretty much a year and a half or so for all the varieties. 
Brad Spaugh

zands

• mango_zango
    • Zone 10b, Florida, USA, 33321
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: April 23, 2021, 09:42:42 PM »
I dont know how big it can reach, but they are supposed to be large.  These are photos off the web of large Pinas you can see how large some types can grow.  Pretty awesome. 

This DM article shows the above pineapple with the grower photo -->>>> https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-5344567/Big-pineapple-goes-hammer-charity.html

What a whopper! Giant pineapple so big it has its own Instagram account sold for $220 in a charity auction
The 35 centimetre tall pineapple took two years to grow in a Cairns backyard
Coral-Leah Kemp's pineapple was 6.8 kilograms and had its own Instagram page
The pineapple was sold at auction for $220, which will be donated to charity
Sands provides support and education to anyone affected by the death of a baby
By KYLIE STEVENS FOR DAILY MAIL AUSTRALIA

PUBLISHED: 09:29 EDT, 2 February 2018 | UPDATED: 09:54 EDT, 2 February 2018

What is believed to be the world's longest pineapple has gone under the hammer for charity in far north Queensland.

Cairns resident Coral-Leah Kemp has spent the last two years tendering to the juicy fruit, which grew to 35 centimetres tall and 6.8 kilograms on her first attempt on growing a pineapple.

She even created an Instagram page for her pride and joy, called pricklypiney.

'I've been watching this mega pineapple grow for months and had no idea it would get so big,' she told the ABC.

'It's the first pineapple I've ever grown and it's turned into a monster. It's quite an unusual shape as well.'

While it's taller than Northern Territory woman Christine McCallum's effort in 2001, it missed out on the world record for being the world's biggest pineapple because it's 1.4 kilograms lighter.

In far north Queensland, pineapple is sold at $2.29 per kilogram, which means the monster fruit would sell for $15.50 if sold at market price.

John B

• USA, San Diego, CA, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: April 23, 2021, 10:40:34 PM »
From small offset to fruit was around 20 months.  Its pretty much a year and a half or so for all the varieties.

Are you "shocking" the plant at any point to bloom with a high phosphorous feet? I've never had one even start blooming until after 24 months. Admittedly, I've never really invested time to them. Just let them go on their own.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk