Author Topic: Oro Negro vs. Monroe Avocado  (Read 9262 times)

johnb51

• USA Deerfield Beach, FL Zone 11a
    • View Profile
Oro Negro vs. Monroe Avocado
« on: January 06, 2015, 09:58:17 AM »
Okay, those of you who have tasted them side by side, what do you think?  I know Mike Bender's been selling them both over the past month, but I never got a chance to get over there.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2015, 03:21:27 PM by johnb51 »
John

gunnar429

• Nothing like fruit from your own yard!
    • West Park, FL 33023, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
Re: Oro Negro vs. Monroe Avocado
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2015, 11:15:47 AM »
Carlos has stated Monroe is better in the past, but I suspect yield had a lot to do with it.  To me, it's a no-brainer in terms of taste:  Oro Negro wins a knockout in the first round.  I don't care too much for traditional FL avocadoes, but the ON is like a hass but much larger!  It is not a heavy bearer though, so keep that in mind.
~Jeff

"Say you just can't live that negative way, if you know what I mean. Make way for the positive day." - Positive Vibration

CTMIAMI

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2015, 12:01:04 PM »
Let me put my 2 cents.
I have both. Agree Monroe production is much much  better. Flavor wise they are totally different. This years Monroes are superb.  Oro Negro is OK. Is all a matter of taste. Oro Negro has this egg yolk taste like the Catalina that I don't object to it but I don't particularly like,  both are outstanding avocados. If you like Canistel you would like Oro Negro. Monroe will hang longer in the tree and that is a plus if you like to extend the season.

A few weeks ago I made guacamole with Oro Negro and Monroe mixed together. It was outstanding, stayed creamy in the refrigerator for two days without braking down.  They do complement each other well.

The final test for me is this. When I want to get some fruit for my home and have several choices what do I wind up bringing home is Monroe.

to me Oro Negro and Hass are totally different. Like pears and apples. Every one's taste is different, that is why I encourage people to taste the fruit before they buy a tree for the house.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2015, 12:14:09 PM by CTMIAMI »
Carlos
 Tweeter: @carlosdlt280
www.myavocadotrees.com
zone 10a Miami-Dade County

edzone9

• Zone 10 SW Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2015, 01:15:36 PM »
Last year I received some beautiful Oro Negro & Monroe From Carlos, Both Taste Fantastic & was to date the best avocados that I have tasted , and I eat avocado everyday !..

Thanks Ed
Zone 10

HMHausman

• Mod Emeritus
    • USA, Fort Lauderdale, Broward County, Florida, Zone 10B
    • View Profile
    • Pines Ticket Defense, LLC
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2015, 06:51:17 PM »
I'm with Carlos....sorry, Jeff.  There would be no first round knock out for me with Oro Negro winning.  Both are good, but for me Monroe is hands down better and the much better producer. I also agree that this year's crop is not only excellent, but one of the best in quantity in recent years.
Harry
Fort Lauderdale, FL 
USA

savemejebus

• Coral Springs, FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2015, 07:06:11 PM »
I wasn't thrilled with oro negro. Not sure how to describe it, but it just wasn't tops (or anywhere near tops) for me.

Can any or all of these avocado varieties be kept to a manageable 10 - 15 foot height through judicious pruning? I love the seedling tree in my yard, but the previous owners let it get 30+ feet and I really can't afford the room that it takes.

CTMIAMI

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2015, 07:58:10 PM »
Monroe maybe you can keep at 15-18 ft. Oro Negro for me once is 2-4 years old will be hard to keep that small. Heavy pruning may produce a every other year.
Carlos
www.myavocadotrees.com

FrankDrebinOfFruits

• Kauai, HI 12A
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2015, 08:18:34 PM »
Monroe maybe you can keep at 15-18 ft. Oro Negro for me once is 2-4 years old will be hard to keep that small. Heavy pruning may produce a every other year.
In some ways I am anxious to see that much growth on my avos, but at the same time I know pruning will be a lot of work.  It will probably be like kids, "remember when they were so small and easy to take care of".

gunnar429

• Nothing like fruit from your own yard!
    • West Park, FL 33023, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2015, 09:12:22 PM »
Surely there are other monroe haters out there.  Ouch!   :-\
~Jeff

"Say you just can't live that negative way, if you know what I mean. Make way for the positive day." - Positive Vibration

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 06, 2015, 09:30:12 PM »
Surely there are other monroe haters out there.  Ouch!   :-\

I am with you...not a fan of Monroe in general.
- Rob

johnb51

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 07, 2015, 03:19:06 PM »
It seems to be evenly split--those who prefer Oro Negro and those who prefer Monroe.
John

franciscu

• USA Florida Boca Raton 33431 (2.5 km from ocean) 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 07, 2015, 06:44:16 PM »
I chose the Oro Negro first, but it malingered and then died. Now I have a small Monroe that seems quite happy. Even split - the ON didn't like me, the Monroe does...

johnb51

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 07, 2015, 08:39:36 PM »
I chose the Oro Negro first, but it malingered and then died. Now I have a small Monroe that seems quite happy. Even split - the ON didn't like me, the Monroe does...

In your case, Monroe chose you!  I've got Oro Negro so in a few years you and I can swap avocados since we live close. ;D
John

franciscu

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 08, 2015, 09:18:28 AM »
Sounds good. We love avocados and consider them a very healthy part of our diet. But lately we've had AWFUL luck with store (Costco) bought avocados (Hass style). They look good in the store, but then go from hard to full of brown without much edible flesh. We have been discarding at least half of what we buy. Extremely aggravating!!! It wasn't like this in the past. Anybody know what's going on?

zands

• mango_zango
    • Zone 10b, Florida, USA, 33321
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 08, 2015, 09:57:59 AM »
Sounds good. We love avocados and consider them a very healthy part of our diet. But lately we've had AWFUL luck with store (Costco) bought avocados (Hass style). They look good in the store, but then go from hard to full of brown without much edible flesh. We have been discarding at least half of what we buy. Extremely aggravating!!! It wasn't like this in the past. Anybody know what's going on?

South Florida has been getting Dominican avocados at good prices for the last few months. As low a 2 for a dollar. You find them in ethnic markets that are Caribbean and Hispanic oriented. Or try Doris Mkt if one is near you. Also Penn Dutch market right by Sample and 441
I have  a young Monroe avocado tree that has to kick in 8)
« Last Edit: January 08, 2015, 10:14:54 AM by zands »

johnb51

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 08, 2015, 03:06:53 PM »
We've been buying those Dominican avocados.  The first ones, I don't know the variety, were turning brown on the inside as soon as they ripened.  Now we have Lulas, also from DR, and they're perfectly fine and delicious with the sweet Lula flavor.

Franciscu, in addition to the Oro Negro tree, I have Simmonds and Day, so in a few years I'll have plenty of avocados for you.  Now all we need is a spring-ripening avocado!
John

zands

• mango_zango
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 08, 2015, 03:20:05 PM »
We've been buying those Dominican avocados.  The first ones, I don't know the variety, were turning brown on the inside as soon as they ripened.  Now we have Lulas, also from DR, and they're perfectly fine and delicious with the sweet Lula flavor.

Maybe some large Dominican groves just came on line because this is the first year I have seen them. I figured they were Lula though I see some rounder shapes too. Between the Florida and Dominican we have a great avocado selection for many months.
There is a Bravo supermarket where I usually buy them. Bravo has many locations and is Hispanic oriented just as the name suggests

CTMIAMI

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 08, 2015, 04:09:52 PM »
I don't think DR grows Lula, those are probably Semil 34.
Carlos
www.myavocadotrees.com

zands

• mango_zango
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 08, 2015, 06:03:34 PM »

You must be right Carlos.  When the DR starts sending us GMO avocados I am going to throw in the towel. Kind of joking. I have not heard of anything GMO going on in avocados

willowwater

• Bahamas
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 08, 2015, 09:55:32 PM »
Decided to get off of the fence and go with the Oro Negro...for now. Trying to upload pic of new tree but site not letting me. 

johnb51

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 09, 2015, 08:43:03 AM »

Yes, Carlos, they are Lulas.  Go to http://aiosa.com/
John

franciscu

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 09, 2015, 10:16:55 AM »

Franciscu, in addition to the Oro Negro tree, I have Simmonds and Day, so in a few years I'll have plenty of avocados for you.  Now all we need is a spring-ripening avocado!

Sounds better and better! When I bought my little Monroe I also bought a Catalina, Fuerte, Lola, Nishikawa, and Wurtz. I have high hopes, but it's going to be a while....

johnb51

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 09, 2015, 11:55:14 AM »
Oh man, that's fantastic!
John

will iam

• lONGWOOD, FLORIDA
    • View Profile
    • tropical fruit forum
BROGDON-DAY-SUPER HASS-ORO NEGRO
« Reply #23 on: August 20, 2020, 07:33:39 PM »
I have all three BROGDON-DAY-SUPER HASS-ORO NEGRO. The Day is doing well and has been producing. I lost the Brogdon to either mushroom root rot or laurel wilt. I purchased another Brogdon and an oro negro. I hope they taste good. I can only go on what I've read.

johnb51

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 20, 2020, 10:02:44 PM »
Here's my update.  I ended up taking out the Oro Negro tree.  It never grew very well for me, and also the fruit had serious ripening issues.  I don't believe I'd ever plant Oro Negro again.
John

CTMIAMI

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 21, 2020, 07:48:21 AM »
Here's my update.  I ended up taking out the Oro Negro tree.  It never grew very well for me, and also the fruit had serious ripening issues.  I don't believe I'd ever plant Oro Negro again.
May be you got a bad tree. ON grows like weed.  Maybe wrong root stock for your area.
Carlos
www.myavocadotrees.com

Mark in Texas

• Fredericksburg Texas, (central TX), zone 8a
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 21, 2020, 07:58:36 AM »

This shows you how "terroir" and location, climes can differ, also methods of planting.  My Oro Negro was/is very vigorous producing a huge amount of fruit not ready until the following year around Feb. and March.  It now hosts Jan Boyce, Lamb Hass and a huge amount of Sharwil.  I'm sure after the freeze there's a branch in there of ON left.   Flavor was not bad.

Lamb grafts producing this June:

johnb51

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 21, 2020, 10:04:21 AM »
May be you got a bad tree. ON grows like weed.  Maybe wrong root stock for your area.
Thanks, Carlos and Mark.  Your comments are valuable.
John

Mark in Texas

• Fredericksburg Texas, (central TX), zone 8a
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 21, 2020, 10:26:56 AM »

Welcome.  Next time stump the tree and graft to the green shoots that push.   

johnb51

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 21, 2020, 12:32:40 PM »

Welcome.  Next time stump the tree and graft to the green shoots that push.

Unless wrong rootstock, as Carlos mentioned.
John

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk