Author Topic: Planning My Last Few Mangos  (Read 3070 times)

FruitGrower

• South Florida
    • View Profile
Planning My Last Few Mangos
« on: August 14, 2020, 03:54:15 AM »
I am planning to put mangos in my last 3 spots and wanted to get other’s thoughts. I have two locations I am planting at.

Location 1 is 5 miles from the coast and I have one spot where I will be replacing a lemon merengue that is not doing well. I would like a something with a similar upright growth habit and with good vigor. I was thinking Val-Carrie since the one I had was excellent but I am hearing/ reading conflicting info on the vigor. Does Val-Carrie have an upright, somewhat vigorous habit like the PPK or is it a more moderate grower? Would Orange Essence be a better fit in terms of growth habit?

Location 2 is 3 miles from the coast and I have two spots. One for a smaller mango along the lines of cotton candy and Mahachanok. For this spot I was thinking’s about white pirie based on the descriptions, does it have any similarities In taste to the mangos I am currently growing (list below)? I am trying to vary the taste profiles.
I also have a spot for a larger mango (15x20 ft). I really liked Baileys Marvel this year and I was hoping I could plant it in that 15x20 spot but it will be just south of a pineapple pleasure that is 9 months in ground from 7 gallon. Will the BM fit in that space without over growing the PP to the north of it (given proper pruning)? Or will it just be too difficult to maintain in that area?

Mango List

- CAC (2)
- Carrie (2)
- Coconut Cream (3)
- Columbus Kidney
- Cotton candy (2)
- Edward
- Fairchild (2)
- Fruit Punch
- Ice Cream (container)
- Jehangir
- Kesar
- M-4 (2)
- Mahachanok (2)
- Malika
- NDM
- Orange Sherbet (2)
- Pina Colada (3)
- Pineapple Pleasure
- PPK (2)
- Rosigold (2)
- Sugarloaf (3)
- Sweet Tart
- Venus

mangokothiyan

• Coral Springs, Florida
    • View Profile
Re: Planning My Last Few Mangos
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2020, 08:53:32 AM »

Val Carrie is vigorous and has an upright growth habit. It is similar to PPK in that regard. I personally love the flavor, but I know a few who don't. Most people love PPK. Orange Essence isn't a fast grower. 

White Pirie is really good. My tree, in the ground for to years, flowered and fruited for the first time this year. Slow to moderate growth, and the flavor is really good..similar to Bombay and Sunrise and from the looks of it, much more productive.

johnb51

• USA Deerfield Beach, FL Zone 11a
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2020, 09:06:19 AM »
No Lemon Zest?  Nothing in the Julie family?
John

skhan

• United States, Florida, Coral Springs, 10b
    • View Profile
    • Videos of Garden
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2020, 09:12:28 AM »
I think white pirie is a good idea. It doesn't look like you have anything in that flavor group.

If the BM will be planted around 25ft away from the Pineapple Pleasure i think it should be fine with annual prunning.
I'm drawing a blank as to another classic flavor mangos that would be a good replacement.
It looks like your late-season mangoes aren't covered that well. Maybe consider Beverly instead of BM

johnb51

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2020, 12:43:12 PM »
It looks like your late-season mangoes aren't covered that well. Maybe consider Beverly instead of BM
Or Honey Kiss?
John

FruitGrower

• South Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2020, 06:50:53 PM »

Val Carrie is vigorous and has an upright growth habit. It is similar to PPK in that regard. I personally love the flavor, but I know a few who don't. Most people love PPK. Orange Essence isn't a fast grower. 

White Pirie is really good. My tree, in the ground for to years, flowered and fruited for the first time this year. Slow to moderate growth, and the flavor is really good..similar to Bombay and Sunrise and from the looks of it, much more productive.

Thank you!! I love PPK but have another one that is growing well, so I wanted to get something different. I’ve only tried one Val-Carrie but it was excellent. I did see a video where Har stayed that the taste can vary, but I liked it enough to give it a try.
White Pirie sounds like a winner. Had quite a few Sunrise this year and they were excellent.

Thanks!!

FruitGrower

• South Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2020, 07:15:20 PM »
No Lemon Zest?  Nothing in the Julie family?

I actually had a lemon zest in that spot where the PPK is now. It was replaced by the PPK, which is now showing the same symptoms as the LZ was before I pulled it, so I’m hesitant to try LZ again. Plus since I have 2 orange sherbet and another PPK, I thought I had that flavor profile covered. Are they really different enough to try LZ again?

As for Julie relatives I forgot to mention 2 mangos that are on the “to buy” list but not listed in the current mango list I posted; Juliette and Honey Kiss. So that would give me Juliette and I believe Carrie is also a relative of Julie, no? Isnt Ice Cream also related/ similar to Julie? I haven’t tried Julie yet but all these others I have and liked them all. Always open to suggestions though.

FruitGrower

• South Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2020, 07:41:00 PM »
I think white pirie is a good idea. It doesn't look like you have anything in that flavor group.

If the BM will be planted around 25ft away from the Pineapple Pleasure i think it should be fine with annual prunning.
I'm drawing a blank as to another classic flavor mangos that would be a good replacement.

Thank you!!

White Pirie is sounding like a winner!

I think I didn’t explain the spacing for the BM well. I have a spot between a cocktail avocado (to the south) and a pineapple pleasure to the north. The space between those trees is 30 ft so if I planted it right in the middle, that would give me 7.5 ft each way, for a total of 15 ft, for the north-south spread (assuming the same for the other two trees). For the east-west orientation I have 20 feet since I have no trees to either side, so the total area that it can grow to without becoming a problem is 15x20 ft. Maybe pictures will help.

The spot where the watering can is would be where I want to plant the BM. You can see the avo at the forefront and the pp in the back.

FruitGrower

• South Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2020, 07:44:11 PM »
Or Honey Kiss?

Honey Kiss is on the “to buy” list and Beverly may be an option too. I just haven’t tried it, is it as good as BM?

johnb51

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 14, 2020, 09:27:53 PM »
I've never tasted Bailey's Marvel.
John

bovine421

• Shake Rag Rd Fl 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 14, 2020, 09:57:13 PM »
Earlier in this year's mango season. I made a post  Do Carrie haters dislike  Val-Carrie and none of them really came out and said that they did. Now that I've tried Val-Carrie. I will vouch it is a excellent mango. IMHO Very sweet rich flavor
« Last Edit: August 14, 2020, 10:01:44 PM by bovine421 »
Tete Nene Julie Juliet Carrie Ice Cream Coconut Cream Little Gem  Dot  Mallika PPK  OS  Pina Colada Cotton Candy Buxton Spice Karen Michelle M-4 Beverly Marc Anthony White Pirie Lychee Cherilata Plantain Barbados Cherry

FruitGrower

• South Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 15, 2020, 12:15:18 AM »
I've never tasted Bailey's Marvel.

It’s an excellent classic-flavor fruit and was my favorite this year. I recommend it.

FruitGrower

• South Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 15, 2020, 12:16:58 AM »
Earlier in this year's mango season. I made a post  Do Carrie haters dislike  Val-Carrie and none of them really came out and said that they did. Now that I've tried Val-Carrie. I will vouch it is a excellent mango. IMHO Very sweet rich flavor

I did see that post and I agree, the taste is great. I just wanted to make sure the growth habit matched what it was replacing.

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 15, 2020, 02:03:22 AM »
Bailey's Marvel is a very vigorous tree which you will probably have difficulty down the road and keeping it a size that you are looking to keep it at. It also does not perform well inland and humid areas.

Val Carrie is a moderate to moderately vigorous tree that is upright with slightly spreading growth habit.

White Piri has a distinct flavor in the Bombay group. It produces better than Bombay but again, not that great inland.

For a tree with a complex flavor, you might want to consider Phoenix.   

For a smaller tree grown closer to the coast, with a classic flavor profile but very complex, you might want to consider Spirit of 76. Spirit of 76 is a snaller sized tree.
- Rob

FruitGrower

• South Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 15, 2020, 02:08:09 AM »
Bailey's Marvel is a very vigorous tree which you will probably have difficulty down the road and keeping it a size that you are looking to keep it at. It also does not perform well inland and humid areas.

Val Carrie is a moderate to moderately vigorous tree that is upright with slightly spreading growth habit.

White Piri has a distinct flavor in the Bombay group. It produces better than Bombay but again, not that great inland.

For a smaller tree grown closer to the coast, with a classic flavor profile but very complex, you might want to consider Spirit of 76. Spirit of 76 is a snaller sized tree.

Thanks Rob! Would you consider my location 3 miles west of the coast/ bay as inland?

bsbullie

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 15, 2020, 02:10:38 AM »
When you say 15x20 feet, please provide explanation.  If either of those dimensions are height, that would NOT be considered a larger sized tree.  If that is WxD and height is not an issue, might want to consider Peach Cobbler.

For one of your other two spots, Son Pari would work and has excellent flavor.
- Rob

FruitGrower

• South Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 15, 2020, 02:15:15 AM »
When you say 15x20 feet, please provide explanation.  If either of those dimensions are height, that would NOT be considered a larger sized tree.  If that is WxD and height is not an issue, might want to consider Peach Cobbler.

For one of your other two spots, Son Pari would work and has excellent flavor.

15x20 feet would be the maximum distance the tree could spread without growing into the other trees or the neighbors yard. Meaning it can spread 15 feet north to south and 20 ft east to west. The height can go as high as it needs to but I would always want to keep it as low as possible to make picking fruit easier.

bsbullie

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 15, 2020, 02:18:41 AM »

Thanks Rob! Would you consider my location 3 miles west of the coast/ bay as inland?

No, 3 miles from the coast is not inland where you would have a problem.  Jog Road to Turnpike and West is where you could run into humidity issues.  A lot also has to do with having open land in the area with good airflow vs poor airflow where air stagnates and holds putrid humidity in the air.
- Rob

FruitGrower

• South Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 15, 2020, 02:20:44 AM »
I tried both peach cobbler and son parí this year and wasn’t a big fan of either. The PC had an intense flavor but had a note that I also find in Dwarf Hawaiian that I’m not a fan of. It was only one so maybe I had a bad sample, I’ll keep trying it.

Son Parí was good but not in my tops; I thought white pirie sounded good from the descriptions but if it won’t do well at my location, I may go with the SP.

FruitGrower

• South Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 15, 2020, 02:21:54 AM »

No, 3 miles from the coast is not inland where you would have a problem.  Jog Road to Turnpike and West is where you could run into humidity issues.  A lot also has to do with having open land in the area with good airflow vs poor airflow where air stagnates and holds putrid humidity in the air.

That’s encouraging, thanks!

bsbullie

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 15, 2020, 02:23:02 AM »
Guava mango might be to your liking and would fit into your spaces.
- Rob

FruitGrower

• South Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 15, 2020, 02:25:33 AM »
Guava mango might be to your liking and would fit into your spaces.

That is one I also considered, largely because of your recommendations of it as one of the better early season. The thing that made me consider the others was reported poor productivity.

bsbullie

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 15, 2020, 02:34:48 AM »
I have recently seen Guava mangoes be very good producers. My original comments on productivity were from Walter Zill's trees which sometimes produce very good crops and sometimes produce so so crops.   I have a very small Guava mango tree that has been in the ground only 2 years as a 3 gallon.  I am in West Wellington, West of Palms West Hospital, and this year which was a very poor year for a lot of my trees with respect to blooms, it set and held 12 fruit on a tree that was only 4' tall with poor number of blooms.
- Rob

FruitGrower

• South Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 15, 2020, 11:41:28 PM »
I have recently seen Guava mangoes be very good producers. My original comments on productivity were from Walter Zill's trees which sometimes produce very good crops and sometimes produce so so crops.   I have a very small Guava mango tree that has been in the ground only 2 years as a 3 gallon.  I am in West Wellington, West of Palms West Hospital, and this year which was a very poor year for a lot of my trees with respect to blooms, it set and held 12 fruit on a tree that was only 4' tall with poor number of blooms.

Thank you Rob, that’s encouraging to know.

pineislander

• Bokeelia, FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 16, 2020, 06:05:33 PM »
Bailey's Marvel is a very vigorous tree which you will probably have difficulty down the road and keeping it a size that
Interesting you say that. I have one Spirit of '76 and two Bailey's Marvel here on Pine Island, SWFL. The Spirit of 76 I have is of equal vigor & height to Bailey's Marvel. I had to climb the tree with a pole to harvest '76 this year.

bsbullie

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 16, 2020, 06:27:07 PM »
Bailey's Marvel is a very vigorous tree which you will probably have difficulty down the road and keeping it a size that
Interesting you say that. I have one Spirit of '76 and two Bailey's Marvel here on Pine Island, SWFL. The Spirit of 76 I have is of equal vigor & height to Bailey's Marvel. I had to climb the tree with a pole to harvest '76 this year.

Maybe due to rootstock or location?  How old and large are the trees?

I have never noticed a Spirit of 76 having same vigor as Baileys.
- Rob

FruitGrower

• South Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 16, 2020, 10:40:46 PM »

I would also be interested in knowing how old your trees are and if you find the fruit comparable?

johnb51

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 17, 2020, 09:14:16 AM »
I would also be interested in knowing how old your trees are and if you find the fruit comparable?
Meaning how '76 and BM compare in flavor, right?  Me, too.
John

bsbullie

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 17, 2020, 09:35:30 AM »
On the east coast, tastes have been consistent for both varieties from multiple growers of each.

BM - classic mango with an acidic component.
Spirit of 76 - classic mango with a definite fruit cocktail taste profile (mango, peach and cherry...think flavors from Dole fruit cocktail can).
- Rob

johnb51

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 17, 2020, 09:58:10 AM »
On the east coast, tastes have been consistent for both varieties from multiple growers of each.

BM - classic mango with an acidic component.
Spirit of 76 - classic mango with a definite fruit cocktail taste profile (mango, peach and cherry...think flavors from Dole fruit cocktail can).
I finally got to taste my Providence mangos this year even though I no longer own the tree (or the house).  For me they have a flavor very similar to their parent Kent, which is "canned fruit cocktail," and they are some huge mangos, up to 3 lbs!  Also, the fruit is clean.  No MBBS so far.  But I've never tasted Spirit of 76.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2020, 09:44:42 AM by johnb51 »
John

bsbullie

• View Profile
« Reply #30 on: August 17, 2020, 11:09:07 AM »
Providence and Spirit of 76 have absolutely nothing in common in taste and/or texture.
- Rob

johnb51

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 17, 2020, 02:32:34 PM »
Providence and Spirit of 76 have absolutely nothing in common in taste and/or texture.
Interesting.  What does Providence taste like to you?  You don't think it tastes anything like its parent Kent?
« Last Edit: August 18, 2020, 09:47:31 AM by johnb51 »
John

FruitGrower

• South Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 17, 2020, 07:26:46 PM »
Meaning how '76 and BM compare in flavor, right?  Me, too.

Yes, in terms of flavor. I ask because, although I did get the classic mango flavor in the BM, I also got a “fruity” note that I have not tasted in any other mango (though I haven’t tasted fruit punch yet). That’s why I am trying hard to make the BM tree fit in that space. Maybe the Spirit of 76 does have that flavor too? I’ve never had it.

palmcity

• Martin County, Fl zone10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 17, 2020, 11:35:35 PM »
About 4 years ago I went to the taste test mass event at ERickson Farms. I was in line going around the table and I raved about the Spirit of 76 when I first tasted it saying I thought it was the best of the available varieties on the table back then and the one person next to me seemed to agree...

Then the results came in and I think it was way down low at about the 12th favorite.... lol... tastes sure vary...

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk