Author Topic: Damaged cherimoya  (Read 702 times)

K-Rimes

• Santa Barbara
    • View Profile
Damaged cherimoya
« on: August 19, 2020, 02:42:10 PM »

Would you do anything with this damage? It seems so bad that but it’s growing slowly above it still. I’m tempted to lop it off at the bottom of the damage and hope it sends up a new leader.

Oolie

• San Diego
    • View Profile
Re: Damaged cherimoya
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2020, 06:56:35 PM »
Though heading a tree is usually not recommended, I think it should be considered in this case as the branches are splitting at the trunk connection. Usually you want thick strong branches, but the tree isn't able to support something like that yet.

spaugh

• San Diego County California
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2020, 07:19:17 PM »
Kevin, I put some red lines where I would cut.  2 different options to fix the tree.  The part that's ripped will heal if you leave it but the branch coming off that joint doesn't look good. 

Just keep in mind it's hard to tell if those are the best cuts to make from that photo.  Maybe it looks different in person.

« Last Edit: August 19, 2020, 07:22:38 PM by spaugh »
Brad Spaugh

Bush2Beach

• Santa Cruz, California Sunset Zone 17
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2020, 12:32:27 PM »
The rules for pruning Cherimoya I learned on the forum are to cut any branches pointing down or siidewys and feature main branches at a 45 angle or pointed up, because they’ll be able to hold pound plus fruit better and Cherimoya will re shoot from each node so you could literally cut every branch and the main stalk would shoot everywhere and you can pick which new branches to feature.
I prune my Cherimoya’s hard everyyear, once during dormancy for scion and grafting, and once around now for shaping and featuring this years new growth. Big up!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk