Author Topic: Which mango varieties are earliest this Year?  (Read 28513 times)

Sleepdoc

• Davie, Florida Zone 10b
    • View Profile
Re: Which mango varieties are earliest this Year?
« Reply #50 on: April 29, 2012, 04:49:05 PM »
Harvested my first pickering this season, April 27th...and then another today...

The first to be ripe was the smallest of all that formed on the tree, but no problem, I'm not worried about size....just fruit quality and quantity. 

The second fruit harvested today, was normal size.  I notice about 3 of the 7 mangoes are small (slightly larger than the first one I picked, pictured below)

I have 10 that will definitely be coming off of this tree!

I may have to mail some to my friends! :)

Pic of tree right before harvest time!

and first fruit harvested! Smells amazing! after eating these, I can't buy mangoes from the store ever again..imported....they are absolutely disgusting compared to these.

I think that's too small to be mature ....  unless the hand holding it is a Sasquatch    ;)

Cookie Monster

• Broward, FL Zone 10b
  • Administrator
  • Eye like mangoes
    • Tamarac, FL, 33321, 10B
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: April 29, 2012, 05:11:44 PM »
Looks totally consistent with rosigold.

My Glenns, in Vero Beach, FL, are sizing up nicely, but not ready yet.

Nice tree, gorgeous fruits, but I have question about it being Glenn.  Fruit looks too long to be Glenn.  Size and shape of the fruit seems more like Rosigold.  Tree's canopy isn't as straggly as some Rosigolds (like mine).  That has me wondering.  Where did you get the tree?

Harry

I'm with Harry ... Don't think it's Glenn ... Rosigold or maybe Cogshall?
Jeff  :-)

Cookie Monster

• Broward, FL Zone 10b
  • Administrator
  • Eye like mangoes
    • Tamarac, FL, 33321, 10B
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: April 29, 2012, 05:18:29 PM »
My beefness! How many other mango trees load up with fruit in a pot like that?

Harvested my first pickering this season, April 27th...and then another today...

The first to be ripe was the smallest of all that formed on the tree, but no problem, I'm not worried about size....just fruit quality and quantity. 

The second fruit harvested today, was normal size.  I notice about 3 of the 7 mangoes are small (slightly larger than the first one I picked, pictured below)

and first fruit harvested! Smells amazing! after eating these, I can't buy mangoes from the store ever again..imported....they are absolutely disgusting compared to these.

Jeff  :-)

puglvr1

• USA, Central, FL xxxxx, Zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: May 01, 2012, 04:13:39 PM »
Congrats Adam! I agree...that Pickering really seems to be an excellent Container Mango...great growing!!

Tim

• Global Moderator
    • USA, Escondido, CA 92027, zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: May 01, 2012, 10:43:42 PM »
Agreed...the more I look at that picture, the more I want a Pickering tree  ;D   still looking...
Tim

FlyingFoxFruits

• Prince of Plinia
  • www.FlyingFoxFruits.com
    • USA, FEMA Region IV, FL Zone 9a
    • View Profile
    • Flying Fox Fruits
« Reply #55 on: May 02, 2012, 12:12:17 AM »
sleepdoc,

maybe cut back on the ambien it can cause vivid nightmares of bigfoot holding under ripe mangoes.

but now u can "rest assured", this mango had a sweet scent, and divine taste.  the orange color indicates that its fully ripe.

it was small, but worth eating.  and I even shared it with a friend...who took it home and shared it with his pappy.

I guess the price I pay for having a 4ft tree in a 15gal pot, producing 11 fruits months ahead of season (for this cultivar).:.is having a few undersized mangoes. 

FL grown (pesticide free organic) fresh harvested mangoes are a hot commodity.

I think that's too small to be mature ....  unless the hand holding it is a Sasquatch    ;)
www.FlyingFoxFruits.com

www.PLINIAS.com

https://www.ebay.com/usr/flyingfoxfruits

www.youtube.com/FlyingFoxFruits

https://www.instagram.com/flyingfoxfruits/
I disabled the forum's personal messaging system, please send an email to contact me, FlyingFoxFruits@gmail.com

Mike T

• Zone 12a
  • Cairns,Nth Qld, Australia
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: May 02, 2012, 08:10:16 AM »
Sam ru du/chocadam is an excellent sweet fiberless mango.It is referred to as the 3 seasons mango in thailand for its habit of flushing with fruit several times a year including in the middle of winter.It is the first and last mango in the market every year here even though there are only a few trees round.It would be a prized addition to any backyard mango selection in florida.

Sleepdoc

• Davie, Florida Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: May 02, 2012, 08:32:55 AM »
sleepdoc,

maybe cut back on the ambien it can cause vivid nightmares of bigfoot holding under ripe mangoes.

Hey, how did you know about that Ambien ?!

Anyway, didn't mean to offend, thought it was funny in my ambien induced stupor..

In all seriousness, it does look small to me, like one of those underdeveloped fruits the tree decides to abort.  But I will take your word for it being mature and ripe.  Stranger things have happened, and glad you were able to have a nice fruit..

Charlie23

• View Profile
« Reply #58 on: May 02, 2012, 03:21:17 PM »
Adam, do you think you fertilized enough on your pickering?  You think by getting less fruit on that lil tree, maybe the fruit size will get bigger?

BestDay

• Long Beach, CA 10B 22
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: July 12, 2012, 01:12:42 AM »
So I just reread through this entire post and I have a couple questions.

Harry, how would you say the Rosa, Tess and Hawaiian Dwarf compare to Rosigold?  You say you aren't very impressed with them but compared to the other early mangos how do they compare?

Has anyone in this forum tasted Raposa?  How is it?

Is Jakarta usually before Edwards?

I'm basically trying to find the best early mango.  Any info or opinions would be appreciated.

Bill

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #60 on: July 12, 2012, 06:02:27 AM »

Harry, how would you say the Rosa, Tess and Hawaiian Dwarf compare to Rosigold?  You say you aren't very impressed with them but compared to the other early mangos how do they compare?

I'm basically trying to find the best early mango.  Any info or opinions would be appreciated.

Bill

Have tasted rapoza, and it is excellent, at least here in Hawaiian climate and soils. Hawaiian dwarf i am guessing is a Floridian invention.
Oscar

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: July 12, 2012, 07:08:03 AM »

Bill
These answers are based in Florida (not sure the outcome in Cali):

Edward is far earlier than Jakarta.

I have tasted Rapoza and Hawaiian Dwarf grown in Florida...Rapoza is much better but I have a feeling, based on what I tasted, it is not as good as what is grown in Hawaii.
- Rob

HMHausman

• Mod Emeritus
    • USA, Fort Lauderdale, Broward County, Florida, Zone 10B
    • View Profile
    • Pines Ticket Defense, LLC
« Reply #62 on: July 12, 2012, 07:28:07 AM »

Bill

I have tasted these other mangoes once and not side by side with Rosigold.  To draw a comparison upon which you can rely for picking and planting out a tree would not be a very good idea. You have to try fruits several times before being able to really get a good enough idea about the quality of the fruit sufficient to decide what to plant out.  I am sure Rosigold would be much more avaialble to you as far as sourcing a tree. From my very limited exposure, I would say that the fruits that I did try were not as good as Rosigold, but it was close with regard to Tess and Rosa.  I would agree with Rob that Edward is earlier than Jakarta.  Regarding Rapoza, again I have had very limited tasting.  While my tasting experience was underwhelming, based upon very reliable mango-informed people (not the least of which was Oscar, but there were others) I did obtain, from Oscar (in a joint order with murahilin a while back) budwood for this cultivar.  I did plant out a grafted tree in my yard. So lets see how it does.

Harry
« Last Edit: July 12, 2012, 06:59:23 PM by HMHausman »
Harry
Fort Lauderdale, FL 
USA

BestDay

• Long Beach, CA 10B 22
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: July 12, 2012, 06:44:22 PM »
Ok guys, thanks for the info. Right now I have Rosigold and then Edward as my early Mangos. I will have to wait and see when there season is in California.

It sounds like Raposa may have some hope as an early Florida mango. If that holds true I may have to try and obtain a plant in the future and see what it does in California.

Bill

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: July 12, 2012, 07:59:25 PM »
Ok guys, thanks for the info. Right now I have Rosigold and then Edward as my early Mangos. I will have to wait and see when there season is in California.

It sounds like Raposa may have some hope as an early Florida mango. If that holds true I may have to try and obtain a plant in the future and see what it does in California.

Bill
Rapoza was not an early season mango in Florida when I have had it.
- Rob

Guanabanus

• SE Palm Beach County, East of I-95, Elevation 18'
    • USA, Florida, Boynton Beach, 33435, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: July 12, 2012, 08:16:23 PM »
I am not sure that what I've had was the 'Rapoza'.  An old map of the trees at Trully Tropical shows two Raposa trees, but I later realized that it was the fruits from those trees that Ms Chris was selling as Dwarf Hawaiian.  Whatever they are they are really good, very early AND very long season--- late March to late June, with a few very green fruits for later.
Har

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #66 on: July 13, 2012, 12:08:52 AM »

Bill

Rapoza is not considered an early mango here. It is usually labeled here as a late season mango. I think this is also incorrect. Better would be to call it an extended season mango. It usually starts fruiting mid season and can flower for a very long time. This is a big plus here, due to heavy rainfall. The tree tends to "pick" one dry spell and will fruit succesfully during that short spell. It is a heavy cropper, and very nicely colored, as well as great tasting. So has all the good qualities for a mango here.
Oscar

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk