Author Topic: Indian Mango Varieties In Florida  (Read 10655 times)

Mangorilla the Uslurper

• USA
    • View Profile
Re: Indian Mango Varieties In Florida
« Reply #25 on: August 12, 2015, 10:10:39 AM »
Kesar is my favorite Indian Mango. It's very sweet and has excellent Indian resin or Pine flavor. Alphonso has so many issues that I'm considering ripping out my tree. Even if you get fruit from Alphonso, it can have jelly seed. It can also have die back caused by fungus.

Simon

Have you ever picked an Alphonso that lives up to its reputation as the best mango in the world or does it never get that good in Florida? I'm going to leave mine to see what happens but if it doesn't survive I'll never plant another mango in the same spot because of the Alphonso Cooties

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 12, 2015, 10:25:38 AM »
Kesar is my favorite Indian Mango. It's very sweet and has excellent Indian resin or Pine flavor. Alphonso has so many issues that I'm considering ripping out my tree. Even if you get fruit from Alphonso, it can have jelly seed. It can also have die back caused by fungus.

Simon

Have you ever picked an Alphonso that lives up to its reputation as the best mango in the world or does it never get that good in Florida? I'm going to leave mine to see what happens but if it doesn't survive I'll never plant another mango in the same spot because of the Alphonso Cooties

I have never been impressed with a Florida grown Alphonso.
- Rob

TnTrobbie

• runs with pruners
  • ZonePusher has a spot for that.
    • 10b + 9b FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 12, 2015, 11:35:23 AM »
I had bought a couple Alphonso mangoes from Truly Tropical in 2014 or 2013 and I enjoyed them allot. Exteriorly they were very clean. Experiencing alternating tastes between sweet and sour with sweet while eating different areas of the mango was a new experience with mangoes for me. I don't know if that is what or how the true India grown alphonsoes taste like. In any case, most of the Indians I speak to about mangoes state that Alphonso is only chosen because it ships well. Dasheri on the other hand gets lots of praise and is touted as the best mango India has. One neighbour even told me that a well ripened Mallika tastes just like it.
The Earth laughs in flowers. And bear gifts through fruits.
No where to plant it ...but at least I got it. ;)
F*ck squirrels and deers

TnTrobbie

• runs with pruners
  • ZonePusher has a spot for that.
    • 10b + 9b FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 12, 2015, 11:41:29 AM »
Langra Banarasi was bland for me. Size was almost Cushman like and taste wise it reminded me of some grocery sold mangoes. *Bleh* The tree also is extremely vigorous but seems to hold lots-o-fruit to maturity. Kesar is nice. Fernandin is a very sweet white fleshed mango though they are on the small size (Neelam-ish). Gorgeous external skin coloring though.

I think much of the off flavors are due to being left on the tree too long.  Dont let them drop off.  Pick them well before that point.

The Langra and Kesar I gave you and the one's I had (except 2-3 Kesar) were just allowed to ripen off a bit before plucking off the tree. Only some Julies, Dot and Maha were allowed to drop off. I take it you liked the Langra Banarasi as you recommended it earlier in this thread.
The Earth laughs in flowers. And bear gifts through fruits.
No where to plant it ...but at least I got it. ;)
F*ck squirrels and deers

bsbullie

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 12, 2015, 11:50:05 AM »
Langra Banarasi was bland for me. Size was almost Cushman like and taste wise it reminded me of some grocery sold mangoes. *Bleh* The tree also is extremely vigorous but seems to hold lots-o-fruit to maturity. Kesar is nice. Fernandin is a very sweet white fleshed mango though they are on the small size (Neelam-ish). Gorgeous external skin coloring though.

I think much of the off flavors are due to being left on the tree too long.  Dont let them drop off.  Pick them well before that point.

The Langra and Kesar I gave you and the one's I had (except 2-3 Kesar) were just allowed to ripen off a bit before plucking off the tree. Only some Julies, Dot and Maha were allowed to drop off. I take it you liked the Langra Banarasi as you recommended it earlier in this thread.

Yes, flavor of both Langra and Kesar were excellent however I could tell, as could Walter, that they were picked too late.
- Rob

zands

• mango_zango
    • Zone 10b, Florida, USA, 33321
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: August 12, 2015, 12:42:32 PM »

Last year was first year for my Langra to fruit. I got lots more bland ones that year
But this year I was getting more flavorful ones...maybe due to the very dry spring. I was getting some that were a 7.5 or an 8.

I would not write off Langra as bland. The fruit seems variable and on the plus side (as you mentioned) it is a good reliable producer and a vigorous tree. Lots pf family and friends like bland mangoes OR it not a big deal to them. A mango is a mango and they are not going to prefer sweet-tart over Langra. Its all the same to them. Another plus is Langra is a large and good looking fruit and many eat with their eyes.

Langra is a productive tree so I will never axe it even though there are more delicious mangoes

greenman62

• CharlesitaveNB
    • [url=https://vgruk.com/]vgr uk[/url]
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 12, 2015, 05:55:02 PM »
i had an idea for growing more cold-hardy species.
i started researching and tracking down varieties from North India

member "Future" was doing some taste-testing, and got some seeds from him
Alphonso, Neelam , Kesar and Coconut Cream (last one was for taste :)
so, not all the ones i wanted, but, its a start, and they just germinated...

http://www.fruitipedia.com/Mango.htm

bsbullie

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 12, 2015, 07:25:10 PM »

You are barking up the wrong tree.  You aren't going to find those more cold hearty.
- Rob

Mangorilla the Uslurper

• USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 12, 2015, 08:13:00 PM »

You are barking up the wrong tree.  You aren't going to find those more cold hearty.
I'm no expert and certainly not on par with BSBullie. I respect your knowledge. I do believe tho that if someone is going to ever develop a cold hardy mango that seeds from cooler areas need to be planted in colder areas. It may take many failed trees but I think it's possible and worth trying. So he may be barking up the wrong tree but it's worth sniffing around maybe the next tree will throw us a bone

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk