Author Topic: New Seeds Available Right Now  (Read 8300 times)

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
New Seeds Available Right Now
« on: February 10, 2012, 09:52:08 PM »
Artocarpus integer (Chempadek)
Baccaurea dulcis   (Ketupa)  [size=78%]http://www.asianplant.net/Phyllanthaceae/Baccaurea_dulcis.htm[/size][size=78%] [/size]
Bouea macrophylla  (Maprang)
Garcinia dulcis (Mundu)
Garcinia sizygiifolia  (Funi) fruit very similar to mangosteen [size=78%]http://janters.blogspot.com/2012/01/garcinia-sizygiifolia-berbuah-di-kebun.html[/size]

All of these have in very limited quantities, so if interested please contact me right away off group and let me know how many of each and total quantity you would like.
Thanks, Oscar

Oscar

murahilin

• Administrator
    • USA Greenacres, Florida Zone 10b
    • View Profile
Re: New Seeds Available Right Now
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2012, 09:59:20 PM »
Damnit Oscar. I just told myself I wasn't going to buy any more seeds for a while.

What does the Mundu taste like?

You said the Garcinia sizygiifolia is similar to mangosteen, how similar is the taste?

I was planning on buying a bunch of maprang seeds but then you said maprang can be grafted onto mango... How much better is maprang as a rootstock for maprang?

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2012, 10:11:42 PM »
Damnit Oscar. I just told myself I wasn't going to buy any more seeds for a while.

What does the Mundu taste like?

You said the Garcinia sizygiifolia is similar to mangosteen, how similar is the taste?

I was planning on buying a bunch of maprang seeds but then you said maprang can be grafted onto mango... How much better is maprang as a rootstock for maprang?

Mundu is sweet/tart. Some trees better than others. Fruits and tree look very similar to G. xanthochymus but as dulcis name suggests it is sweeter than xanthochymus. These seeds come from sweet trees. Never had sizygiifolia fruits before. This is a super rare species. Did you see the link i gave above from Sarawak web blog? There it says very similar to mangosteens, sweet with a bit of tartness.
Oscar
Oscar

murahilin

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2012, 10:21:11 PM »
Mundu is sweet/tart. Some trees better than others. Fruits and tree look very similar to G. xanthochymus but as dulcis name suggests it is sweeter than xanthochymus. These seeds come from sweet trees. Never had sizygiifolia fruits before. This is a super rare species. Did you see the link i gave above from Sarawak web blog? There it says very similar to mangosteens, sweet with a bit of tartness.
Oscar

I did not see the little translate button the side of the page so I just disregarded all the text because it was not in English. Now that I clicked the button I see its description.

The sizygiifolia looks similar to a fruit we had at Felipe's farm in PR. I wonder if it is the same Garcinia or if there are a few mini mangosteen looking fruit?

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2012, 10:44:08 PM »
Like i said, this garcinia is super rare = meaning i doubt anyone in USA is growing it, including any of the govt. experimental stations. I didn't even know about this species till very recently.
BTW, You can see the whole list of what Felipe has on his farm here:
http://machabuca.com/
He has a few garcinias but not the sizygiifolia
Oscar
Oscar

Jsvand5

• Ocala FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2012, 10:26:58 AM »
Is the Garcinia sizygiifolia on your site? I looked it over a few times and didn't see it.

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2012, 04:39:09 PM »
Is the Garcinia sizygiifolia on your site? I looked it over a few times and didn't see it.

No it's not, only had a very few seeds so did not include it on the seed page, Now they are all gone.
Oscar
Oscar

Jsvand5

• Ocala FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2012, 09:29:58 PM »
Will it be a long time before you get more?

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2012, 09:32:17 PM »
Will it be a long time before you get more?

Don't know that i ever can, but will try.
Oscar
Oscar

janter

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 19, 2012, 02:13:08 AM »

Garcinia sizygiifolia tastes good and refreshing, like mangosteen fruit (Garcinia mangistana), but Garcinia sizygiifolia has a more sour taste.

You can read this abstrac :
Analysis Relationship between Mangosteen (Garcinia mangostana L.) and Its Relatives Based on  Morphological and Moleculer Marker (ISSR) under direction of SOBIR and EDI SANTOSA (http://janters.blogspot.com/2012/01/garcinia-sizygiifolia-berbuah-di-kebun.html)

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #10 on: February 19, 2012, 09:35:40 PM »

Garcinia sizygiifolia tastes good and refreshing, like mangosteen fruit (Garcinia mangistana), but Garcinia sizygiifolia has a more sour taste.

You can read this abstrac :
Analysis Relationship between Mangosteen (Garcinia mangostana L.) and Its Relatives Based on  Morphological and Moleculer Marker (ISSR) under direction of SOBIR and EDI SANTOSA (http://janters.blogspot.com/2012/01/garcinia-sizygiifolia-berbuah-di-kebun.html)

That's the same link i gave at the very beginning of this thread. On the right there is a Google translation button. Basically he says it tastes very similar to mangosteen, sweet and slightly sour. Anyway no more seeds available for now.
Oscar
Oscar

murahilin

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 19, 2012, 09:55:32 PM »
That's the same link i gave at the very beginning of this thread. On the right there is a Google translation button. Basically he says it tastes very similar to mangosteen, sweet and slightly sour. Anyway no more seeds available for now.
Oscar

I think he may be the person who wrote the blog.

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #12 on: February 19, 2012, 10:21:56 PM »
Oscar

I think he may be the person who wrote the blog.

OK, thanks Murahilin, i didn't notice the addy name is the same name as on the blog. If you are indeed the same person can you please give us a better description of this fruit? What areas of Indonesia is it growing in? Is it ever sold in the markets? Thanks, Oscar
Oscar

BMc

• Brisbane, Queensland, Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 21, 2012, 06:06:29 AM »
Also, how different is this to the Brunei cherry/Kundong (G. parvifolia?) or G. forbesii?

Tomas

• USA, Virginia - 7a
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 22, 2012, 10:57:36 PM »
Oscar,

Do you know if Garcinia sizygiifolia is monoecious?

Tomas

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #15 on: February 23, 2012, 12:09:54 AM »
All the old world garcinias are officially classified as dioecious. But very few actually turn out to be truly dioecious. Many of them produce some hermaphrodicte flowers or produce fruit without pollination, as with the mangosteen. But to be on safe side would be better to have more than one tree.
The only garcinia i know that may be truely dioecious is G. praniana. And even there i'm not sure because the supposedly male flowers have an ovary, but that ovary is usually sterile. But even in this species it's possible that they may produce fruit w/o pollination, or so i've heard from some growers having solitary plants that fruited.
Oscar
Oscar