Author Topic: 'Po Pyu Kalay' ('Lemon Meringue') vs. Lemon Zest Mangos  (Read 9995 times)

NathanC

• USDA 9b - Phoenix, Arizona
    • View Profile
'Po Pyu Kalay' ('Lemon Meringue') vs. Lemon Zest Mangos
« on: May 21, 2014, 01:02:02 AM »
I have never tried any of these fruits, nor will I ever, so I need help from my fellow forum members. Grading in terms of flavor intensity, creaminess, and production.

jc

• Treasure Coast, Florida, 10a
    • View Profile
Re: 'Po Pyu Kalay' ('Lemon Meringue') vs. Lemon Zest Mangos
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2014, 05:50:45 AM »
Use the search feature and look up joep450 for his mango reviews.
JC

dongeorgio

• If you have any mango that I don't...CONTACT ME!
    • zone 10
    • View Profile
George

zands

• mango_zango
    • Zone 10b, Florida, USA, 33321
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2014, 08:13:12 AM »
go here>>>>>>> http://tropicalfruitforum.com/index.php?board=1.0    type_____  zest Meringue ______ into search box at  this location. You will get the results you want
« Last Edit: May 21, 2014, 08:14:50 AM by zands »

nullzero

• Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2014, 11:18:42 AM »
From what I read on this forum and Joe's review, it sounds like Lemon Zest is a great selection of PPK. The Lemon Zest mango has amazing vigor and disease resistance from what I have seen so far.
Grow mainly fruits, vegetables, and herbs.

ClayMango

• MangoHunter
    • Zone 9B Ca
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2014, 11:47:41 AM »
From what I read on this forum and Joe's review, it sounds like Lemon Zest is a great selection of PPK. The Lemon Zest mango has amazing vigor and disease resistance from what I have seen so far.

After dropping all leaves from shipping after over a  month...This LZ  tree has grown faster than any of my back yard weeds...this thing put on an amazing flush until we got that crazy Socal heatwave last week....now its just greening up on the leaves...but man...it almost gained about a foot in a couple of weeks from this flush....definately tends to be an upright grower...hopefully it will start to spread out a bit with time.... People swear by the LZ as one the best Mangos ever...
Thinking about joining a Fruitaholics anonymous support group...Fruit addiction has taken over my life!

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2014, 12:03:32 PM »
While PPK is LZ's parent, they are completely different.   One thing that is very important with LZ is picking at the right stage and letting it ripen properly.   But be careful as it does have a tendency to get jelly seed but so does PPK and Orange Sherbet (another PPK seedling for those who don't know).

Is it the best mango, at times however there are many others that will match or beat it on any given (Sun)day.
- Rob

NathanC

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2014, 06:31:10 PM »
It seems LZ is better.

nullzero

• Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 21, 2014, 06:45:17 PM »
It seems LZ is better.

Could not say for sure... but I do hear more buzz and oh wow comments about LZ then PPK.
Grow mainly fruits, vegetables, and herbs.

Sleepdoc

• Davie, Florida Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 21, 2014, 07:34:05 PM »
  One thing that is very important with LZ is picking at the right stage and letting it ripen properly.   

What stage should it be picked?  My tree is holding its first crop so I would like to get the timing right..

Mr. Clean

• FLMangos.com
    • US, FL, West Palm Beach, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
    • Florida's Finest Mangos
« Reply #10 on: May 21, 2014, 11:05:52 PM »
So far no one seemed to talk about production... (In my opinion a very important factor).  I have about 25 varieties of mangos and see a huge difference on productivity. 

I heard that PPK is an alternate bearer; crops every other year.  Someone mentioned in a thread that their PPK never bore fruit.  My LZ has been dropping mangos like crazy, I'm down to about six mangos.   >:(   

I have almost all of the new Zill varieties (in ground) and so far SweetTart is the only one that I am glad I planted; it currently has 20 mangos.  Coconut Cream is down to four mangos, but I fear all will drop before they are ripe.  Pineapple Pleasure has one mango.  Pina Colada no mangos.  Harvest Moon no mangos. 

I would start with productivity and disease resistance, then find a good tasting productive mango. 
www.FLMangos.com

110+ fruit trees/plants; 60+ mango trees; 9 jackfruit; 6 avocado; 3 persimmon; longan; and a dog that keeps raccoons and squirrels away.

LEOOEL

• USA, South Florida, Miami, Temperature Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 21, 2014, 11:23:09 PM »
Productivity of the Lemon Zest is a very important point which I hope that those that have the LZ do comment more on this important characteristic. I'm currently seriously considering getting the LZ, but it productivity is an issue with it, then that will most likely be a deal breaker.
'Virtue' should be taught, learned and propagated, in order to save others and oneself.

MangoFang

• Palm Springs, CA, Zone 9B
  • Palm Springs, CA
    • Riverside, Palm Springs/CA, 92264,9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 21, 2014, 11:34:09 PM »
Nathan - how come you are saying that you'll never taste an LZ?

I've got my first 8 on my tree which I've had less than 2 years, and so will taste them soon...
And I've got the same desert climate as you?Z?Z?X?X?

You can grow them, dude!

Gary

bsbullie

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 22, 2014, 12:10:47 AM »
Leo - Despite a certain member's costant senseless comments on a variety's productivity based on 2 or 3 year old trees, Lemon Zest is a very good producer. 

Clint - The one drawback is that when it nears maturity, one must keep a close eye on the fruit.  Once its shoulders color up to a true yellow (not lightening due to sun exposure), it can be picked.  Caution is given that if left to continue to color, they become more susceptible to being knocked fro9m the tree from winds or storms.  In other words, their stem connection weakens as they ripen.  With that being said, if picked with too little color or before they color, they will be chalky, sour, wrinkle and be basically inedible.

- Rob

Sleepdoc

• Davie, Florida Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 22, 2014, 07:02:11 AM »
Rob- Thanks for the input.  I will make sure not to pick too early, and I will keep an eye on drop. 

For the size of my LZ, it has quite good production this year.  20-30 mangos.

mikesid

• Zone 10B/11a - East Boynton Beach - Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 22, 2014, 07:53:53 AM »
In an effort to get my LZ to calm down its growth I've been pruning the interior of the tree and I pulled all of my fruit off this year, well, except one. It now has a nice, lower. lateral growth to it. I think shaping for the first few years is more necessary than fruit production in the first few years.

bsbullie

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 22, 2014, 08:00:43 AM »
Mike - keep in mind that LZ is a vigorous upright grower in general and will sky rocket on its own to 35 feet or so.  Dont drive yourself too crazy with trying to hold it back.  Also keep in mind you will need decent space underneath for air circulation so dont want those branches too low to the ground.
- Rob

natsgarden123

« Reply #17 on: May 22, 2014, 09:45:47 AM »
Mike - keep in mind that LZ is a vigorous upright grower in general and will sky rocket on its own to 35 feet or so.  Dont drive yourself too crazy with trying to hold it back.  Also keep in mind you will need decent space underneath for air circulation so dont want those branches too low to the ground.

2 1/2 yo LZ with a few large holding fruit ( hopefully the squirrels will be good to me)- this tree did not grow well at first but it seemed to have taken off this past year. It is not nearly as vigorous as the VP or Baileys Marvel  but who knows if this will hold true.

Sorry Mr Clean that you are dissapointed with most of your trees; but I agree with Rob; be patient!! One day you will have so many mangoes that your dissapointment will be forgotten.

I have been doing this for 18 years and it will all pay off.

Tropicalgrower89

• Zone 11a, Florida
    • Pembroke Pines, FL, 33024, 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 22, 2014, 11:40:50 AM »
My LZ is three years old and is 15 feet tall. It has lots of large mangoes on it now. The "highly productive" version of Nam Doc Mai (NDM#4) dropped most of the medium-sized fruit and has only 8 now. The tree also just recently put out a huge growth flush and is also 3 years old. Seems to be a lot more vigorous than my coconut cream which is just a year younger.
Alexi

LEOOEL

• USA, South Florida, Miami, Temperature Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 22, 2014, 11:05:53 PM »
Leo - Despite a certain member's ... comments on a variety's productivity based on 2 or 3 year old trees, Lemon Zest is a very good producer.   

I certainly can live with that, Lemon Zest is back on the 'I gotta get list,' thanks.
'Virtue' should be taught, learned and propagated, in order to save others and oneself.

mangomandan

• When a man is tired of mangos, he is tired of life
    • USA, Lake Worth, Florida, 33461, 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 23, 2014, 09:12:44 PM »
Rob, thanks for this information, as well as similar info regarding when to pick Beverly.
Out of the goodness of my heart, I hereby volunteer you to write a treatise detailing when to pick and when to eat various mango cultivars.
But in case you don't finish that this week, when should I pick my Coconut Cream mango?      ;D

Leo - Despite a certain member's costant senseless comments on a variety's productivity based on 2 or 3 year old trees, Lemon Zest is a very good producer. 

Clint - The one drawback is that when it nears maturity, one must keep a close eye on the fruit.  Once its shoulders color up to a true yellow (not lightening due to sun exposure), it can be picked.  Caution is given that if left to continue to color, they become more susceptible to being knocked fro9m the tree from winds or storms.  In other words, their stem connection weakens as they ripen.  With that being said, if picked with too little color or before they color, they will be chalky, sour, wrinkle and be basically inedible.

Future

• The Future
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 24, 2014, 12:24:14 PM »
I have never tried any of these fruits, nor will I ever, so I need help from my fellow forum members. Grading in terms of flavor intensity, creaminess, and production.

This is an odd query given the "nor will I ever".  Can you clarify?

NathanC

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 25, 2014, 10:38:47 PM »
Oh, I meant, no one sells these mangoes where I live, so if I were to try either one, then I would have to buy the plant itself.
It seems LZ, a long time favorite, has struck again. It's a must for any mango grower.

Future

• The Future
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 25, 2014, 11:12:31 PM »
Oh, I meant, no one sells these mangoes where I live, so if I were to try either one, then I would have to buy the plant itself.
It seems LZ, a long time favorite, has struck again. It's a must for any mango grower.

I see.  Well I have eaten PPK and it went straight into my top 3 of mangoes.  I haven't had the pleasure of eating a LZ yet but if the mango gods are kind, this summer I will do so.  And if the stories are even half as good as the experience, something will have to get kicked out of my top 3 mangoes.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk