Citrus > Citrus General Discussion

Our 1st Pink verigated lemon bud

(1/3) > >>

Timbogrow:
This was the 1st plant we installed after purchasing the property last April. We purchased from the blue big box store. It gets imidicloprid soil drench every 3-4 months. Also it gets spray with cold pressed need oil and soap, spinosad, and there's a suffer spray also I just picked up to add in the cycle. I don't do any more citrus needless to say with everything else out there is to grow but still very excited about this plant and the lemons. Anyone have any tips for care when fruiting these plants here in Florida?

Fygee:
Florida is a different animal, but here in Vegas the main keys to success with citrus (particularly picky ones like variegated varieties) are as follows:

1. Keep soil slightly acidic (shouldn't be an issue there at all).
2. Feed with citrus specific fertilizer at least twice a year. Citrus rely heavily on micro-nutrients that are often missing from other fertilizers and soils outside of their native areas. Foliar feeding with citrus spray is a great way to supplement feeding in between major feedings. Don't fertilize while flowering as it causes fruit set to diminish. I do late spring, summer, and early fall, but for your area I'd say quarterly since you don't get cold winters like here.
3. Water less when not fruiting and more when fruit has set and has confirmed set fruit development. You'll know you're watering too much when the leaves get chlorosis, and too little when set fruit drops and/or leaves curl inward and look like green taco shells. Water even less during cooler months (though, again, with Florida you won't have to worry about that as much).
4. Monitor for sun scald. Citrus normally take full sun all day like champions, but variegated varieties can be more sensitive to intense sun, especially in the afternoon. If it becomes an issue, use shade cloth.

Timbogrow:
Wow, thank you for sharing all the keys to success with me! That was extremely helpful. I'll update with pictures when it sets fruit. Have a great day, thanks again!

850FL:
I have a couple growing in the understory and they are more cold tolerant than I assumed, and tend to sprawl and grow alright in the shade (have better citrus in more optimum spots), so I take these as traits from one of their mandarin parents.. does anyone know the name of the parent mandarin anyway, I think it was a variegated mandarin crossed with eureka lemon?
I have had more problems with variegated Valencia than pink var lemon.
I mulch well and fertilize sometimes. Haven’t had to spray the ‘lemons’.. different scenario in your location unfortunately

Timbogrow:
The plant does have very nice looking foliage. Good lookin plant. This one must get about 10hrs of nonstop sun and prune it often to keep it from the ground. It air layers real easy also when we tried and have another now beside it and apple gave between.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version