Author Topic: Anyone know how comparable the Egyptian guava is to the mexican cream?  (Read 1075 times)

rdm

• oahu/hawaii
    • View Profile
Iv been trying to source a mexican cream guava since it seems to be very popular as a soft white/yellow variety. However non of the current reputable sellers dont ship to hawaii and the one that does is apparently a scammer according to thia forum.

But while researching local options one nursery sells an Egyptian guava, that seems to fit closely to the description for mexican cream. So does anyone know hiw comparable they are? If its worth getting of if i should just keep looking/waiting  for a mexican cream.

palingkecil

• Los Angeles
    • View Profile
I bought guava plants from this online nursery:
https://kens-nursery.com/product/mexican-cream-guava-tree-psidium-guajava/
I think they sell seedlings, but I am mot 100% sure.
My Barbie pink from them is true to the hype, it produces the 3rd year in ground.
Another variety I got from them is Peruvian guava, also bear fruit the 3rd year. Strangely the fruits are Mexican cream guava! They are big, tasty, and fragrant.
I would say try to order from them. Their price is reasonable.

brian

• Pennsylvania (zone 6) w/ heated greenhouse
    • View Profile
hmm... my "mexican cream" was pink inside.  I guess it was mislabelled, now I have to go figure out what it actually is.

rdm

• oahu/hawaii
    • View Profile
My Barbie pink from them is true to the hype, it produces the 3rd year in ground.
Another variety I got from them is Peruvian guava, also bear fruit the 3rd year. Strangely the fruits are Mexican cream guava! They are big, tasty, and fragrant.

I wanted too but they dont ship outside continental US, also they have the same stuff and site layout as urbantropics and like 3 other stores, not sure if there all the same thing or just a nursery web site template a bunch are useing.

rdm

• oahu/hawaii
    • View Profile
hmm... my "mexican cream" was pink inside.  I guess it was mislabelled, now I have to go figure out what it actually is.

Were did you get it from? While researching on it there were multiple mentions of people haveing miss labeled  pink guavas they bought as mexican cream from the big box stores like home depo ect

CarolinaZone

• USA,NC,7B
    • View Profile
I have been trying to source the "Egyptian guava". If you have a reputable source let me know.

rdm

• oahu/hawaii
    • View Profile
I have been trying to source the "Egyptian guava". If you have a reputable source let me know.

Its a large local nursery, there sold out atm and not sure if they are willing to ship stuff. Ill pm you the nursery in case you want to contact and see if there willing to ship anything off island when back in stock.

brian

• Pennsylvania (zone 6) w/ heated greenhouse
    • View Profile

Were did you get it from? While researching on it there were multiple mentions of people haveing miss labeled  pink guavas they bought as mexican cream from the big box stores like home depo ect

Exactly that... a Home Depot or Lowes.  In Florida, I believe.

rdm

• oahu/hawaii
    • View Profile

Exactly that... a Home Depot or Lowes.  In Florida, I believe.

Ya that seems to be the theme while reading all the guava posts here and elsewere, someone mentions guava and home depo shortly followed by "it was not the variety it was labled as"

850FL

• zone 8b/9a
    • View Profile
I have a few mexican creams (lowes plants). They are indeed Mexican cream as I have fruited them before. Every few winters they get stumped by bad freezes then come right back. I've got cuttings to root easy. also they are very common in fruit form at the grocery store, seeds viable. Let me know if you were interested in trading scions or seeds!

palingkecil

• Los Angeles
    • View Profile
Re: Anyone know how comparable the Egyptian guava is to the mexican cream?
« Reply #10 on: April 12, 2021, 09:03:51 PM »

I wanted too but they dont ship outside continental US, also they have the same stuff and site layout as urbantropics and like 3 other stores, not sure if there all the same thing or just a nursery web site template a bunch are useing.
I am sorry that they don't ship to you.
I heard all good things about Egyptian guava, they supposed to be bigger than Mexican cream but taste as creamy and sweet.
I read that you cannot ship any plant to Hawaii with dirt/soil.
If you ever interested to grow from seeds, let me know. I can save some seeds from my mexican cream guava this year for you. They fruit in 3-4 years from seed.

Sunrisefruit

• Sunrise, Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 14, 2021, 08:33:56 AM »
Lowes sells it, the Mexican Guava.. i don't know if you have Lowes in Hawaii, but maybe online

rdm

• oahu/hawaii
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 14, 2021, 04:01:12 PM »
Lowes sells it, the Mexican Guava.. i don't know if you have Lowes in Hawaii, but maybe online

we do but from what i can tell for all the big box stores that sell fruit trees and even the smaller garden centers all source from the same fruit tree nursery and they only carry a few guava types. the only nursery i found that does carry others is the one that has the Egyptian guava. and all of the online sellers that list the Mexican cream don't ship to Hawaii, the only one that has a listing is guavaking and according to this forum hes apparently a scammer.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk