Author Topic: Graft sun protection?  (Read 3410 times)

spaugh

• San Diego County California
    • View Profile
Graft sun protection?
« on: April 11, 2021, 06:19:47 PM »
Whats easy to use for protecting grafts from too much sun?  I need to cover 35-40 grafts so it needs to easy to use.  Its too hot and dry here my avocado grafts are struggling once they break the grafting tape.  These are in ground trees that are sitting in full sun all day and can't be moved into the shade. 
Brad Spaugh

green thumps up

• san diego zone 10a
    • View Profile
Re: Graft sun protection?
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2021, 06:29:14 PM »
Brad,

I just use aluminum foil to shade new grafts for scolding sun.

spaugh

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2021, 06:33:05 PM »
What to do once the grafts are starting to grow?  The grafts are already over a month old and starting to push but we had 90F weather and single digits humidity and the new leaves get cooked. 

It hasn't been a problem in past years but we got a lot of Santa Ana weather this spring. 
« Last Edit: April 11, 2021, 06:39:30 PM by spaugh »
Brad Spaugh

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2021, 07:35:17 PM »
Burlap
- Rob

FV Fruit Freak

• USA, Southern California, Fountain Valley, 10B
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2021, 08:33:31 PM »
Paper lunch bag fastened with rubber band
Nate

Seanny

• Garden Grove, Orange County, California, 10B
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2021, 01:15:42 AM »

Felipe

• Global Moderator
    • Canary Islands, Spain - 12b
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2021, 09:25:46 AM »
Wirst wrap the scions in parafilm to keep the moisture. Them paint the graft with chalk, this reflects the sun and keeps it cool. Once the scion starts to grow, the buds will push through the pafarilm and chalk and should handle the sun and heat well.

BTW, when you put a plant in ground (move it from the green house to outdoors) it is a good method to paint the whole plant with chalk in order to protect from hot and dry climate. I have written before about in the forum...

ScottR

• USA,Arroyo Grande,Calif. 93420,zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2021, 10:43:20 AM »
Hi Brad, this is what I do but as the scions start growing I start to tear bag open more to allow scions to acclimate. From start I cut bags at short edges to reduce heat and white bags help.

buddy roo

• Spring Valley, Ca.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2021, 11:16:53 AM »
Hi Brad, this is what I do but as the scions start growing I start to tear bag open more to allow scions to acclimate. From start I cut bags at short edges to reduce heat and white bags help.

WOW Scott that is a lot of grafts on one tree,

jtnguyen333

• San Diego
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 12, 2021, 12:00:59 PM »
How big of an area you need to shade?  May be get one of those tarp at HD and set up an overhead canopy.

Whats easy to use for protecting grafts from too much sun?  I need to cover 35-40 grafts so it needs to easy to use.  Its too hot and dry here my avocado grafts are struggling once they break the grafting tape.  These are in ground trees that are sitting in full sun all day and can't be moved into the shade.

ScottR

• USA,Arroyo Grande,Calif. 93420,zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 12, 2021, 12:03:49 PM »
Yeah Patrick, that is or was a Kona Sharill that over fifteen years gave me 3-fruit so, last year I stumped it around May and selected regrowth and ended up topping that regrowth once. Then this year in Jan. I grafted over as many branches that I could, because I have found out over years that when you start grafting branches on a tree better to do all at once then they all have same chance. Will be a challenge to keep it in shape with 20+ varieties!
« Last Edit: April 12, 2021, 12:06:12 PM by ScottR »

spaugh

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 12, 2021, 01:03:26 PM »
I ordered some lunch bags on Amazon yesterday that will arrive today and luckily the weather has broke for a few days it will only be in the 70s.  By the end of the week back to the 90s.

I put in half an acre of trees a year ago.  There 25 cherimoyas and 50 avocado seedlings newly top worked sitting in full exposure.  This is a new area I'm growing on and its more exposed than the old orchard.  Its up on the highest area here in full sun and wind. 

I had leaves over the grafts for weeks but now they are pushing out and the weather was unusually hot and dry wind they are getting cooked.  Once they flush out for a month or so its fine they are able to take it.  Its just that first few weeks after popping the tape thats problematic. 

Brad Spaugh

spaugh

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 12, 2021, 01:19:03 PM »
Scott and Jack told me to graft in January.  I thought you guys were crazy because I've always done March and April and had good results.  So this year I did some grafts in January, February, March just to see what worked out best.  The January grafts healed and pushed first and missed the heat so that does seem like a good time.  You guys were right.  I think that is very early and not necessary if you live in a milder climate but it may be necessary here for next year.  The grafts from January have already pushed out enough they are doing fine in the 90F heat.  The only issue was we had cold and hail in February hitting the grafts.  Amazingly that didn't seem to screw them up.
Brad Spaugh

canito 17

• Puerto rico
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 12, 2021, 01:27:47 PM »
Hi
My whether is different. Some times I use saran cloth 30 % or greater. Paper bags work only at the beginning.

spaugh

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 12, 2021, 01:47:14 PM »
Shade cloth is ideal but its way too much hassle and cost for doing the number of trees I'm planting.  When we have heat waves, I go around and spray a white dust on the trees to reflect the light.  It works well while they are young.  Right now I just need the grafts to complete their first flush and they will be in good shape. 
Brad Spaugh

Jack, Nipomo

• San Luis Obispo County, CA zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 12, 2021, 02:00:52 PM »
Don't know how many grafts you need to protect, but I have used water-based white latex paint over the graft and parafilm.  The thick latex protects the graft and buds can grow through it.  Parafilm will still break and fall off under a coating of latex paint.  Thankfully we do not have to contend with your temps.

spaugh

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 12, 2021, 02:54:38 PM »
Jack, the grafts are ok until they start piercing the tape and get exposed to the dry air and sunshine.  I just cover the graft for a month with avocado leaves. 

Now that they are growing out the 1st flush is at risk and many have already gotten burnt and stunted. 

I'm following your advice and grafting in January next year.  This year theres 75 or so trees but next year will be 150ish. 
Brad Spaugh

spaugh

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 12, 2021, 09:02:48 PM »
Hope it works out, otherwise I wasted a lot of time on some of these trees.  I did not want to have to graft trees in pots but that may be how it goes next round. 

Brad Spaugh

pinkturtle

• LA county, CA Zone 10B
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 12, 2021, 10:29:08 PM »
Hi Brad,

This is how I did here.  Start with semi-open slowly open depending on the new grow.

Kevin Jones

• Alabama - USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 13, 2021, 11:54:36 AM »
Good idea... place it on the south side to provide mostly shade from the super-intense sun.
The foil is rigid... as well as pliable... takes shape easily.
Economical and recyclable too. Can be used multiple times.
I will borrow this idea... Thanks Pinky!

Kevin

Felipe

• Global Moderator
    • Canary Islands, Spain - 12b
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 13, 2021, 05:36:39 PM »
The fastest, easiest and cheapest method is to paint the trees with chalk. You take a brush and splash it on the trees. This will protect them like an sun lotion and does not harm them. The new groth under the painted leaves will be well adapted to the sun and heat. This method works great for all kind of tropical fruit trees. Here are some examplres from the research station...

weiss613

• Miami
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 14, 2021, 06:14:07 PM »
My experience in Miami is that you can do 25 grafts on a topped mango tree without any cover and have at least 20 take even during June July and August. This includes not separately wrapping Buddy tape around the buds and just attaching the graft with Buddy tape. The secret is scion choice which should be young and very thin and perfect cuts for both sides with the scion not being cut free hand but on a flat firm surface in the field so you get great alignment with that soft flexible young thin scion unless you have been almost perfect freehand and after it’s wrapped 3 clips and applied proximal medial and distal. See below a video and the clip.

https://share.icloud.com/photos/0Dt2mV972y3V2IHY_2VkMm_Uw

Seanny

• Garden Grove, Orange County, California, 10B
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 14, 2021, 06:37:50 PM »
We have a few sunny days with high temperatures, high wind, with  10% humidity.
High wind and low humidity are what desiccate the new leaves on new grafts.

We use plastic bags to retain humidity and white paper bags over plastic bags to block the sun.

561MangoFanatic

• Loxahatchee, FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 14, 2021, 08:31:27 PM »
Maybe this??-https://ivorganics.com/product/white-wash-plant-guard/
Sergio

Plantinyum

• Bulgaria , near Sofia city , planting zone 7
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 15, 2021, 01:19:22 AM »
When I graft , for sun protecting the graft I use white electrical tape, that covers the grafting place and the scion. I whap it around the scion I a way that the buds are not covered . Under it I use a transparent stretch type grafting tape, so the electrical doesnt stick to the bark.