Author Topic: Angie Mango  (Read 31084 times)

BENDERSGROVE

• BENDER'S TROPICAL GROVE
    • USA, Davie, FL 33331, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
    • BENDERSGROVE
Angie Mango
« on: June 21, 2012, 04:26:10 PM »
My daughter has never been real fond of mangoes,today she happened to try an Angie mango and is now another mango addict,goes to show you never know with fruit which ones will turn on the light bulb!!Must admit the Angie mangoes this year are superb.

HMHausman

• Mod Emeritus
    • USA, Fort Lauderdale, Broward County, Florida, Zone 10B
    • View Profile
    • Pines Ticket Defense, LLC
Re: Angie Mango
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2012, 04:33:21 PM »
My daughter has never been real fond of mangoes,today she happened to try an Angie mango and is now another mango addict,goes to show you never know with fruit which ones will turn on the light bulb!!Must admit the Angie mangoes this year are superb.

That's just not this year.  Last year, the first year I tasted them, was even better.  This year they are still excellent but slightly flavor reduced at my house anyway.

Harry
Harry
Fort Lauderdale, FL 
USA

BENDERSGROVE

• View Profile
    • BENDERSGROVE
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2012, 04:38:21 PM »
If I tell that to my daughter i would have to post an armed guard in front of those trees, I can see now that I wont be sampling as many as i hoped! Hard to believe they can be even better than I tasted, now I really have something to look foward too next year.

SWRancher

• Merritt Island, FL Zone 9B
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2012, 05:33:31 PM »
My Angie is not quite ready yet. I picked a couple fruit off the tree but the majority are just starting to get a blush so I'm hoping will be ready soon.

BENDERSGROVE

• View Profile
    • BENDERSGROVE
« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2012, 05:37:08 PM »
My Angie is not quite ready yet. I picked a couple fruit off the tree but the majority are just starting to get a blush so I'm hoping will be ready soon.
We just had a couple rippen the last 2 days,the majority are not ready yet,same as you described,but the 2 we had were great and Harry says the ones he had last year were even better,hard to believe but sounds good to me.

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2012, 05:42:58 PM »
how would you describe it ?
- Rob

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2012, 06:16:11 PM »

Might not just be the Angie mango, might also be your daughter's taste buds changing? We tend to assume that we always have the same taste preferences, but clearly this is not true. Tastes evolve and change, especially from childhood to puberty, and then from puberty to adulthood. But even in adulthood i notice lots of changes and evolution in my taste preferences. With most fruits the more times i try them the more i get to appreciate them.
Oscar

johnb51

• USA Deerfield Beach, FL Zone 11a
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2012, 06:58:29 PM »

But you still don't have any trees for sale, do you, Mike?
John

MarcoIslandMango

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 21, 2012, 07:36:33 PM »
Dying to plant an Angie.  Wish someone was grafting them.
-Brett

SWRancher

• Merritt Island, FL Zone 9B
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 21, 2012, 07:46:13 PM »
We just had a couple rippen the last 2 days,the majority are not ready yet,same as you described,but the 2 we had were great and Harry says the ones he had last year were even better,hard to believe but sounds good to me.

My Angie tree fruited last season and the fruit was excellent tasting. Luckily this year my trees crop is a bit larger.

Sleepdoc

• Davie, Florida Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 21, 2012, 08:28:45 PM »

That's just not this year.  Last year, the first year I tasted them, was even better.  This year they are still excellent but slightly flavor reduced at my house anyway.

Harry

I have had the same experience as Harry this year.  The Angies on my tree have not been as good as last year.  My tree is still holding the majority of its crop, so I am hoping that the later ones will be better.

phantomcrab

• USA, St. Petersburg, FL Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 22, 2012, 05:55:57 AM »
« Reply #8 on: June 21, 2012, 07:36:33 PM »
Dying to plant an Angie.  Wish someone was grafting them.
Steve at Fruitscapes says he will have some 3 gallon Angie trees available later this summer.
Richard

BENDERSGROVE

• View Profile
    • BENDERSGROVE
« Reply #12 on: June 22, 2012, 08:14:05 AM »
how would you describe it ?
Sorry i was not able to get back to anyone last nite,we had computer issues(damm Comcast),then the Miami Heat Game started and Go Heat!! I will be the first to admit that my taste buds are not a mango connesuirs but is was very sweet not overpowering and definitely the best out of what I have tasted this year,even better than the few Edwards i had.

BENDERSGROVE

• View Profile
    • BENDERSGROVE
« Reply #13 on: June 22, 2012, 08:16:36 AM »
But you still don't have any trees for sale, do you, Mike?
No unfortunately the few we were able to graft got some kind of fungus or mold and did not make it,dont know what it was other than guessing the grafting knife or some sort of contamination occured. Hopefully we will be able to graft a bunch after the crop is in this year,time permitting.

** mod edit: fixed your quote **
« Last Edit: June 22, 2012, 07:00:58 PM by Tim »

Tim

• Global Moderator
    • USA, Escondido, CA 92027, zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 27, 2012, 12:20:15 PM »
Got to try our first Angie last night, I've got to say as bad as the rain has been in FL, it's still an AMAZINGLY tasty mango.  I thought very highly of Pickering, but IMO, Angie's got an arm, leg & leap over the former...no contest.  Is the tree really semi-dwarf and what's its production like?  It'd be awesome to see picture of the whole tree.  There are some pics of this tree on GW posted by SWrancher & Sleepdoc from last year, any update?

Cuts better than a hot knife through butter, the blade went right through effortlessly...

Cleaned the seed real good and didn't get a single fiber in my teeth  ;D

« Last Edit: June 27, 2012, 01:17:33 PM by Tim »
Tim

Sleepdoc

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 27, 2012, 08:50:36 PM »
  There are some pics of this tree on GW posted by SWrancher & Sleepdoc from last year, any update?

I don't have any current pics at the moment, but the tree has actually put on little size over the past year.  It held 20 or so fruit in 2011, and then only partially flushed once after harvest.  This year the fruit set about doubled, with 40-50 fruit making it to maturity. This is it's 3rd year in the ground iirc.

It is definitely larger in habit than the Pickering, maybe Cogshall-ish in size but a bit more spreading in shape.  That's my experience anyway ... Hope that helps, and I'll try to get some pics soon

Cookie Monster

• Broward, FL Zone 10b
  • Administrator
  • Eye like mangoes
    • Tamarac, FL, 33321, 10B
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 29, 2012, 02:45:33 PM »
Is the angie mango an Edward seedling? From memory, the leaves had the similar wavy habit. The fruit shape seems to bear some resemblance too. Is the flavor similar to Edward?
Jeff  :-)

Tim

• Global Moderator
    • USA, Escondido, CA 92027, zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 29, 2012, 02:52:18 PM »
Is the flavor similar to Edward?
not at all
Tim

Sleepdoc

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 29, 2012, 04:40:02 PM »
Sleepdoc from last year, any update?

pics today

Carrie on left, Angie in middle, Pickering on right

Angie.  About 2/3rds of its crop harvested.

Cookie Monster

• Broward, FL Zone 10b
  • Administrator
  • Eye like mangoes
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 29, 2012, 04:43:25 PM »
Interesting. The leaves and growth habit look like a carrie from a distance.

Sleepdoc

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 29, 2012, 04:50:01 PM »

Yeah, IMO, it tastes like a Carrie Seedling.  Tree is Carrie like, but not quite as dense growing, with darker leaves .. At least thats how it is in my soil...

Maybe Carrie x Alphonso ?

Cookie Monster

• Broward, FL Zone 10b
  • Administrator
  • Eye like mangoes
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 29, 2012, 04:59:49 PM »
Ohh. That's really interesting. If it tastes anything like a carrie, then it must be quite delicious.

Yeah, IMO, it tastes like a Carrie Seedling.  Tree is Carrie like, but not quite as dense growing, with darker leaves .. At least thats how it is in my soil...

Maybe Carrie x Alphonso ?

puglvr1

• USA, Central, FL xxxxx, Zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 29, 2012, 06:25:47 PM »
Hmmm...are you saying Angie taste similar to Carrie? Guess I'll have to pass on getting this one  :(

Just not a Carrie fan, but the Angie was something that looked really good to me, oh well...I don't need another tree for now anyways,lol...

Cookie Monster

• Broward, FL Zone 10b
  • Administrator
  • Eye like mangoes
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 29, 2012, 07:03:21 PM »
HAHAHA. I'll bet that what you dislike about the carrie is the pungent / strong odor when fully ripe. There's a whole 'nother side to the carrie, which is when it's slightly underripe and still tart. At that stage, the carrie is sweet, creamy, and lacks the pungent odor. The val-carrie has the sweet/creamy part of the carrie flavor but lacks the mushy consistency and strong odor, even when fully ripe -- making it an excellent mango at all stages of ripeness. My guess is that the angie is the same way.

Hmmm...are you saying Angie taste similar to Carrie? Guess I'll have to pass on getting this one  :(

Just not a Carrie fan, but the Angie was something that looked really good to me, oh well...I don't need another tree for now anyways,lol...

Squam256

• Mangos, trees and budwood for sale
    • USA, West Palm Beach, FL, 33405, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
    • https://www.facebook.com/TropicalAcresFarms
« Reply #24 on: June 29, 2012, 07:57:54 PM »
Angie is an Edward seedling, per Noris Ledesma.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk