Citrus > Cold Hardy Citrus

cold hardy citrus in full soil in greenhouse

<< < (5/5)

incubator01:

--- Quote from: lebmung on May 22, 2021, 05:57:47 PM ---I have a plastic foil for 6 years no problem with it.  Here is very hot in summer with temperatures outside at 35C+ for a month or two, and I have like 40-45C in greenhouse everyday, not a problem for more tropical citrus as long as it's humid. Key limes and fingerlimes like it.

--- End quote ---

Yes but yours is the white foil which is more UV resistant that I bought the same year my colleague convinced me to get a proper greenhouse ;)
Also I'm not a Mr HandyMan so getting the plastic foil with no pre-made window holes etc was a bit of a downside.

However I think it  is the temperature fluctuations that are a problem here too, despite low wind, my kumquats (nagami which should handle 38+°C) lost a few leaves simply from the sudden temperature increase from night to day as soon as the sun started to shine on it and the windows were not fully open yet.

Citradia:
Here’s my meiwa kumquat on flying dragon rootstock. Been there for past eight years or so. I wrap 4 mil plastic around three sides and south or east side is a roll-up door to vent on days above freezing. Roof is a separate sheet of plastic stapled to the wood frame which is secured to ground by iron stakes through eyelet in brackets on each leg of frame. I too have high winter winds blowing from northwest on my mountain top home and learned the hard way that frames have to be sunk into ground or if temporary are staked to ground. If I was afraid of heavy rains for three months in summer, I might consider leaving the roof cover on the frame and just take down the plastic sheeting walls in summer. My small space heater in each tree enclosure is controlled by a thermostat called thermo cube which helps overwinter the fruit.

incubator01:

--- Quote from: Citradia on May 26, 2021, 09:44:21 PM ---Here’s my meiwa kumquat on flying dragon rootstock. Been there for past eight years or so. I wrap 4 mil plastic around three sides and south or east side is a roll-up door to vent on days above freezing. Roof is a separate sheet of plastic stapled to the wood frame which is secured to ground by iron stakes through eyelet in brackets on each leg of frame. I too have high winter winds blowing from northwest on my mountain top home and learned the hard way that frames have to be sunk into ground or if temporary are staked to ground. If I was afraid of heavy rains for three months in summer, I might consider leaving the roof cover on the frame and just take down the plastic sheeting walls in summer. My small space heater in each tree enclosure is controlled by a thermostat called thermo cube which helps overwinter the fruit.

--- End quote ---

I saw those pictures in a different topic here and I was indeed planning to do something similar for a cold hardy citrus that I can safely plant outside in a few years, to protect it from heavy wind gushes and prevent branch damage and also to prevent overwatering from too much rain :)

lebmung:
I would add straw or leaves around it covering up and outside around the soil rocks or water bottles painted black.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version