Author Topic: Not enough Durian Discussion  (Read 54293 times)

Gone tropo

• Durian obsessed
    • Nth Qld Australia, zone 13a
    • View Profile
Re: Not enough Durian Discussion
« Reply #150 on: June 14, 2021, 05:16:30 PM »
Mike that is some pretty serious action to potentially chop down your red prawn!!!!! Can anyone work out why they don’t do well here ? They tested best for cold tolerance so it can be that it’s too cold? Why do they do so well in Penang and not here? Penang averages around 2500mm of rain a year similar to cairns. I would love to know what the answer is. Maybe it’s the soil but surely they have been grown in all different types of soil here ?

Mike T

• Zone 12a
  • Cairns,Nth Qld, Australia
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #151 on: June 14, 2021, 05:21:06 PM »
Its not gone yet but are light bearing compared to others in the experience of people growing it around FNQ.Not sure why but the vigour of the tree is not matched by productivity

Gogu

• US, HI, Waianae 12a-12b
    • View Profile
« Reply #152 on: June 16, 2021, 03:18:32 AM »
So what are yalls favorite variety? I think mine is sitebel and chanee close second. Not a big fan of bitter flavor.

cassowary

• Australia FNQ 13a Tropical Monsoon
    • View Profile
    • cassowaryseeds
« Reply #153 on: June 16, 2021, 04:12:15 AM »
Its not gone yet but are light bearing compared to others in the experience of people growing it around FNQ.Not sure why but the vigour of the tree is not matched by productivity

Mike, Please swap or barter me a seed before you swing the axe on the Ang heh tree!
But I have to write that  the fruit from the described tree does not look like a "Red Prawn/Ang heh" judging the color of the aril from an image at http://tropicalfruitforum.com/index.php?topic=41237.msg405692#msg405692
I also showed a friend the image and the friend said it didn't look like it and the the friend have been to Penang island many times. Only judging one image here so it's speculation and not trying to to hate or so, I thought maybe the tree isn't doing well because it's an inferior offspring.

fliptop posted about frozen durian above. I spend considerable amounts of money on imported and local frozen durian and have found with the imported ones that brand and batch is very important, so if I am not doing a bulk order sometimes I'll buy the shitty ones they have so that they get new stock and the ones follow is usually fresh and great. So if people get a bad tasting frozen durian then it's possible it's a old batch. Good frozen durian is delicious and is not to far off from the fresh taste. I don't get the whole durian with husk since it's not space efficient in the freezer and the "cryovac" from Thailand is great, better then all the Malaysian frozen I'v had for double the price.

Gogu,
My favorite is Balinese seedling durian tree's that produce tiny fruit that pretty much only have one big aril with one big seed, usually very white flesh and concentrated flavour, nothing beats them for me because I love the strong ones. Also a batch from a wild tree (Baan) in krabi had insanely strong flavour, never had that strong elsewhere.

Have anyone tried "Bawor" druian? Have seen some videos on youtube and it looks like it has lot's of aborted seeds and great yeild.

Does anyone know if d. kinabaluensis fruit is hard to find around the area of Kinabalu ?like for sale or tree's on the road side etc.
CASSOWARYSEEDS.COM
Seed shop and Seed exchange

Mike T

• Zone 12a
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #154 on: June 16, 2021, 05:30:00 AM »
Cassowary I am wounded by the assertion that I have been harbouring an imposter all these years and that ID from a fruit I harvested indicates its something else based on flesh colour. Just kidding pal and fair call.
I am pretty lazy and should really take pix in natural light outside instead of in the kitchen at night on the bench to see the natural colour. I am confident the scions brought from penang were in fact the real deal. The mother tree was part of a study on the Zapalla farm by the illustrious durian expert Low. The tree architecture, and fruit characteristics of mine match written descriptions of D175 quite neatly.

Gone tropo

• Durian obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #155 on: June 16, 2021, 07:37:21 PM »
So what are yalls favorite variety? I think mine is sitebel and chanee close second. Not a big fan of bitter flavor.

Unfortunately here unless you grow them yourself buying fruit from clone varieties is almost impossible it all gets sent to the cities.  In saying that the two known varieties that I have manged to be able to try are cipaku and kradum thong and both tasted great to me.  However I have also tried quite a few unknown seedlings from fruit fallen fresh from the tree and these have also been great, I couldn't honestly say that the kradum thong and cipaku were any better than the unknown seedlings they are all great to me Im yet to taste a bad durian off the tree.

I can only imagine how unbelievable the big guns such as musang king and black thorn must taste they must be incredible.  I probably wont be tasting these for a long time as I dont think a trip to malaysia is on the cards any time soon.

Jabba The Hutt

• Appleton, New York, 6b/Pine Island, Bokeelia, Florida 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #156 on: June 16, 2021, 10:46:47 PM »

Arancillo was quite sweet and carmelish making it one of my favorites so far.

Gogu

• US, HI, Waianae 12a-12b
    • View Profile
« Reply #157 on: June 17, 2021, 01:30:24 AM »

I had frozen arancillo from yearofthedurian, and it was really good, but it was nothing like it was described as. It was very "plain" tasting. Not sure if it was picked early or mislabeled.

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #158 on: June 17, 2021, 05:35:04 PM »

I had frozen arancillo from yearofthedurian, and it was really good, but it was nothing like it was described as. It was very "plain" tasting. Not sure if it was picked early or mislabeled.
I really doubt you're going to get full favor profile from frozen durian, even when picked at prime stage, and even when flash frozen using best technology and rapid shipping. I had flash frozen Musang King and Black Thorn, and while they were indeed very good, they were not as good as fresh seedling durians i eat right off my trees. But none of this is very surprising, is it?
Oscar

Jabba The Hutt

• Appleton, New York, 6b/Pine Island, Bokeelia, Florida 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #159 on: June 17, 2021, 06:02:49 PM »

I really doubt you're going to get full favor profile from frozen durian, even when picked at prime stage, and even when flash frozen using best technology and rapid shipping. I had flash frozen Musang King and Black Thorn, and while they were indeed very good, they were not as good as fresh seedling durians i eat right off my trees. But none of this is very surprising, is it?

No doubt we aren't getting the full flavor we would if we were there when it were fresh picked but I'll take it over no durian!

cassowary

• View Profile
    • cassowaryseeds
« Reply #160 on: June 18, 2021, 03:42:17 AM »
Mike, Me and my friend thinks the fruit shape is of Ang heh and the green skin could be green cause it does not receive as much sun as fruit in Penang with the way they prune or due to very big old durian tree's with very open canopies, similar to how very old Quandong tree's form their canopy (deviating from single erect leader).

Have anyone tried to field graft scion onto the trunk of mature durian tree's? Have seen it done on youtube but don't know how well it works out.
CASSOWARYSEEDS.COM

Finca La Isla

• Costa Rica, Southern Caribbean coast
    • View Profile
    • finca la isla
« Reply #161 on: June 18, 2021, 08:40:54 AM »
In Malaysia durian trees are routinely top worked. They cut the tree off and cleft graft onto a sprout.

Durian is agile and you could top work a whole orchard.
Peter

Mike T

• Zone 12a
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #162 on: June 18, 2021, 09:12:49 AM »
Planted a prize seedling today of Kutejensis x dulcis so hope it survives. Yes red prawn is a little more cone shaped than most and it isnt a sunshine issue. You just have to test various selections and varieties to see how they perform in each environment.

Gone tropo

• Durian obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #163 on: June 18, 2021, 06:00:23 PM »
Mike can you elaborate a bit more on this cross? I tasted a durio dulcis and whilst it tasted good it had hardly any flesh and wasn’t worth planting in my view too small and not enough flesh compared to standard durian.

Mike T

• Zone 12a
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #164 on: June 19, 2021, 05:13:15 PM »
Dulcis is too small, has flesh yield that isnt high enough and has a slight element in the flavour profile that some call cough medicine. There are larger fruiting lines in borneo and in the wild. When they cross to better eating species like zibethinus and kutejensis the fruit are really good and stand out. I have not sampled these but friends have and selected these as special seeds that needed to be collected. I have a small seedling of one such plant.

Finca La Isla

• View Profile
    • finca la isla
« Reply #165 on: June 19, 2021, 09:27:52 PM »
There’s a few inter specie crosses of durians that have a good reputation.  We’re growing Suluk seedlings which is a graveleons/zibethinis cross.  Another is less well known called bunga merah which means 'red flower'.  I have grafted material of bunga merah which I think is a zibethinis/Kutejensis cross.  The Suluk is from Borneo and the bunga merah is from Perak.  There are several good hybrids coming from Java as well. 
Good to have planting space available as there will always be something new and worthwhile to plant.
Peter

Mike T

• Zone 12a
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #166 on: June 19, 2021, 10:39:15 PM »
I only know suluk by reputation and it is probably the best known hybrid and held in high regard. Yeah wouldn't mind one of those but you just have to play the cards dealt.I also has access to a bunga merah seedling but it was one or the other.I need trees to volunteer for mulch patrol and that why the red prawn might go. I have limited space and some truly big guns of the fruiting world may soon fall into my hands.  I have planted a few trees lately that fall into the must have category.

Gone tropo

• Durian obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #167 on: June 20, 2021, 04:23:12 AM »
Thanks for that Info mike and peter very interesting stuff. With local conditions set for an artic blast tonight I have brought my prized durians inside, temperature here last night got down to 15.5c (60f) and could get even colder tonight !!!!!

We only get a handful of nights like this a year a nice break from the usual heat.

Mike T

• Zone 12a
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #168 on: June 20, 2021, 05:56:31 AM »
That's crazy talk it an Antarctic blast and the mercury is in freefall here also. I planted a lindero and squat garcinias today and hope all my new plantings dont suffer. It could tp to  14c in the morning or less. People will go to work dressed like shackleton or Edmund Hillary on the south face.

Finca La Isla

• View Profile
    • finca la isla
« Reply #169 on: June 20, 2021, 08:43:51 AM »
I imagine that you guys are alright at 14-15C for a short spell. Florida and California get much more serious cold. If it gets to 19 here we are wrapped up but that misery doesn’t occur to often.
Peter

Gone tropo

• Durian obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #170 on: June 20, 2021, 04:54:30 PM »
It hit 13.8 here this morning and yep I will be going to work dressed like Edmund Hillary lol I don’t cope with the cold well. Looks even cooler down your way mike cairns airport hit 12.8 !!!! With the race course a sub Antarctic 12c.

cassowary

• View Profile
    • cassowaryseeds
« Reply #171 on: June 24, 2021, 10:52:28 PM »
In Malaysia durian trees are routinely top worked. They cut the tree off and cleft graft onto a sprout.

Durian is agile and you could top work a whole orchard.
Peter

Great with the image also! I believe a long pole would have to be supporting that new shoot, due to the wind I get here.

I wounder if those selected crosses would be from deliberate crossing or selected from natural crosses. Like wild zib with dulcis or like D24 with dulcis...

The lowest I'v got recorded this year is 18C. Lowest ever I have recorded is 13C.

CASSOWARYSEEDS.COM

cassowary

• View Profile
    • cassowaryseeds
« Reply #172 on: July 29, 2021, 10:55:45 PM »
Have a question,
If you got one dripp emitter (shrubbler 0-32L min) for each durian, where would you put it?
Using the dripp to keep the small tree's alive during the dry season.

At the trunk? At the edge of the branches? Or would you move it around the tree on a regular basis? etc.

Don't have enought pressure for mico sprinklers yet but maybe in the future.
CASSOWARYSEEDS.COM

Gone tropo

• Durian obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #173 on: July 30, 2021, 12:14:10 AM »
Cassowary im not an expert but im watering my young durian by hand at the moment every day as we are now well headed into the dry. I try to water just slightly away from the trunk as I read some literature somewhere that mentioned not watering the trunk directly as it contributes to root/fungal diseases?

cassowary

• View Profile
    • cassowaryseeds
« Reply #174 on: July 31, 2021, 04:02:31 AM »
Thanks for the input, will do a trial and see if there's any fungal issue with close watering :)
You will eventually be rewarded for your watering dilligence :D
CASSOWARYSEEDS.COM