Author Topic: Planting mangos near coast in Florida  (Read 540 times)

850FL

• zone 8b/9a
    • View Profile
Planting mangos near coast in Florida
« on: June 17, 2021, 07:46:07 PM »
I will be planting a single mango sapling in a corner nook of a house basically right on the Gulf of Mexico. I can choose from Mallika, Ice cream, Carrie, Young (all grafted and presumably on turpentine rootstock) or ataulfo from seed (polyembryonic) or Kent from seed (monoembryonic)? What is the best choice I should plant with all factors considered? I can only plant one of these. I am in north Florida. During a hurricane some brackish water could wash in..it has done this before but I have never seen any trees die from it (satsumas, figs, bushes etc). I just don’t know which variety would survive and produce best coastally in Florida with some cooler winters... thanks.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2021, 07:51:21 PM by 850FL »

JakeFruit

• Mod Emeritus
  • FL Gulf Coast Fruit Lover Spam Fighter
    • zone 10A
    • View Profile
Re: Planting mangos near coast in Florida
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2021, 08:21:50 PM »
I'd recommend against the Ataulfo from seed. I have one in my yard (a few hundred yards from the Gulf); started in 2009, finally getting 2 fruit off of it this year (hadn't flowered before this season). It's very upright & vigorous, but very far from precocious. I'm grafting it onto different rootstocks to see if that improves production, but it seems to be longing for Chiapas.

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2021, 08:29:45 PM »
Are you planting s grafted tree?  Just ask cause you say saplibg which some associate with seedling

In California,  Manilla  or Atualfo is the way to go.  In Florida,  its Turpentine  (or if from ZHPP whatever off types they use).

Mallika is the best of what you named.  Are any more tolerant to saltwater wash, cant say...
- Rob

Galatians522

• Florida 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2021, 09:11:20 PM »
In your zone, I would find the highest quality poly mango you can find (Sweet Tart?) and grow it from seed. Your tree will be frozen back many times and a grafted tree just won't work outin my opinion. When you go to the northern edge of the mango's range in India all trees are grown from seed.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk