Author Topic: Top 10 worst fruits (VIDEO)  (Read 12373 times)

mikemap

• Puna and Hilo, Hawai'i
    • View Profile
Re: Top 10 worst fruits (VIDEO)
« Reply #25 on: November 04, 2015, 12:34:47 AM »
Where did you try cannonball fruit? Its one of the top fruits that I would like to try. Any advice on how to eat it properly? I love bizarre looking fruits and that one certainly fits that bill.

There are a few large, fruiting cannonball trees on this island, Hawai'i. I found some info on the internet saying it was edible and needs to ripen for a while and so on, but I only tried eating two fruits and gave up. The first was freshly fallen from the tree and quite unripe. The oxalates wrecked my mouth for a few hours. The second fruit I let ripen for maybe 3 weeks and I can't offer any advice other than only eating a tiny piece!
Mike Parker: kefir fanatic, ethnomusicology hobbyist

Doglips

• Houston TX 9A
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 04, 2015, 03:01:11 AM »
Great video, I need to look up your other stuff.  Noni's are just vile in my book.  You are guaranteed to get a smile out me by just talking about Noni products.  People will buy anything if they think they can get rich by selling it.

PS, Saw the best video as well.  I am intrigued by your garcinia thoughts.  I've only tasted the purple mangosteen in the garcinia family, it is my all-time favorite fruit.  Now your telling me that Queen has a prettier little sister? 

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #27 on: November 04, 2015, 04:41:23 AM »
Where did you try cannonball fruit? Its one of the top fruits that I would like to try. Any advice on how to eat it properly? I love bizarre looking fruits and that one certainly fits that bill.

There are a few large, fruiting cannonball trees on this island, Hawai'i. I found some info on the internet saying it was edible and needs to ripen for a while and so on, but I only tried eating two fruits and gave up. The first was freshly fallen from the tree and quite unripe. The oxalates wrecked my mouth for a few hours. The second fruit I let ripen for maybe 3 weeks and I can't offer any advice other than only eating a tiny piece!

What information are you referring to? I don't think cannonball is considered edible for humans. Most animals also avoid them. I've heard pigs will eat them.
Oscar

Jared

• NYC
    • View Profile
    • Weird Fruit Explorer
« Reply #28 on: November 04, 2015, 02:05:38 PM »
Great video, I need to look up your other stuff.  Noni's are just vile in my book.  You are guaranteed to get a smile out me by just talking about Noni products.  People will buy anything if they think they can get rich by selling it.

PS, Saw the best video as well.  I am intrigued by your garcinia thoughts.  I've only tasted the purple mangosteen in the garcinia family, it is my all-time favorite fruit.  Now your telling me that Queen has a prettier little sister?

Thanks! I was worried I would get a big backlash for trash talking noni so much, although I did get a little, it's good to know I have people on my side.
As wonderful as the purple mangosteen is,  I loved all the sisters even more. Few fruits get me as excited as Garcinias.

]
What information are you referring to? I don't think cannonball is considered edible for humans. Most animals also avoid them. I've heard pigs will eat them.

I think these fall into the "edible" category in that you can eat them, they won't kill you, but they taste terrible so nobody does. Still my curiosity has gotten the better of me. The only resource I know of that discusses them being edible is: http://theindianvegan.blogspot.com/2012/10/all-about-cannonball-fruit.html?m=1
- Jared
Check out my youtube series, Weird Fruit Explorer:
http://www.youtube.com/channel/UChsbD6Clp-ZPqKwXJR3V7DQ

BigIslandGrower

• USA, Hawaii, Puna 700 ft, 12B
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 04, 2015, 03:47:12 PM »

Some of the native Australian fruit that occupy the fringes of edibility could easily knock off all on the list.

I bet. 
Can't imagine a single soul not liking the best varieties of Chempadek.  One of the California Rare Fruiters on our Malaysian durian tour exclaimed, after sampling  Chempadek for the first time,
"Wow, this is the one that should be called King of Fruits!"

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #30 on: November 04, 2015, 05:04:41 PM »

Some of the native Australian fruit that occupy the fringes of edibility could easily knock off all on the list.

I bet. 
Can't imagine a single soul not liking the best varieties of Chempadek.  One of the California Rare Fruiters on our Malaysian durian tour exclaimed, after sampling  Chempadek for the first time,
"Wow, this is the one that should be called King of Fruits!"

Chempadek is very highly thought of in Malaysia. There they have done a lot of breeding work to select the best types. Most people have not tasted the really good cultivars of chempadeks. There is a lot of variation in quality, just as with jackfruit...or maybe even more so.
Oscar

Treees

• Palm Beach County, FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: November 04, 2015, 09:25:02 PM »
It is fair to expect that at least some of these and more other fruit varieties will eventually disappear from human consumption replaced by others evolved and developed superiors that constantly compete for human preference for evolutionary reasons.  Ok, a lot is packed in that sentence but please do not argue, it is just an opinion.

The question is: what fruits were very wide spread in the past but all but disappeared from human consumption by now and why ?  I bet there are plenty of examples.  They are also likely candidates for worst.  Anybody can give a brief history ? Any lessons learned ?

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #32 on: November 04, 2015, 11:43:44 PM »
It is fair to expect that at least some of these and more other fruit varieties will eventually disappear from human consumption replaced by others evolved and developed superiors that constantly compete for human preference for evolutionary reasons.  Ok, a lot is packed in that sentence but please do not argue, it is just an opinion.

The question is: what fruits were very wide spread in the past but all but disappeared from human consumption by now and why ?  I bet there are plenty of examples.  They are also likely candidates for worst.  Anybody can give a brief history ? Any lessons learned ?

There is no evidence to suggest that either noni or cannonball fruit were ever widely eaten by humans, if that is what you are suggesting? Noni was only eaten by Hawaiians as a survival food in case of dire food shortages. The Hawaiians brought noni to Hawaii in original canoe introductions not because of the fruit but due to the other parts of the plants which were used medicinally and as a dye.
Cannonball fruit is found here at practically every large botanical garden, and nobody ever eats them. In Rio de Janeiro, oddly enough, the cannoball fruit was used as a landscaping tree in some parks. Again they are not eaten there.
As to fruits dropped from cultivation, i think what rather happens is that inferior fruits were bred and improved, as in case of wild apples, crab apples. Maybe medlar is an example of a fruit that is almost lost to cultivation?
Oscar

stuartdaly88

• Phytomaniac
  • Zone 9b/10a
    • South Africa, Gauteng
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: November 05, 2015, 04:13:05 AM »

There is no evidence to suggest that either noni or cannonball fruit were ever widely eaten by humans, if that is what you are suggesting? Noni was only eaten by Hawaiians as a survival food in case of dire food shortages. The Hawaiians brought noni to Hawaii in original canoe introductions not because of the fruit but due to the other parts of the plants which were used medicinally and as a dye.
Cannonball fruit is found here at practically every large botanical garden, and nobody ever eats them. In Rio de Janeiro, oddly enough, the cannoball fruit was used as a landscaping tree in some parks. Again they are not eaten there.
As to fruits dropped from cultivation, i think what rather happens is that inferior fruits were bred and improved, as in case of wild apples, crab apples. Maybe medlar is an example of a fruit that is almost lost to cultivation?
Medlar also had bad press:( Its been refered to even by Shakespeare as "open arse fruit" doesnt exacly make people wanna try it!
Iv been told by many it is a really good fruit like apple butter:) Its a beautiful tree with some cultivators of better quality I really hope people can be more open to medlar :'(

I know Morinda officinalis root is a premier TCM herb (Ba Ji Tian) and one of the 50 fundamental herbs! Noni being related probably has similar properties in the root?
Patience is bitter, but its fruit is sweet.
-Jean-Jacques Rousseau

DurianLover

• Bali, Indonesia
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: November 05, 2015, 09:48:54 AM »

I don't think your questions has answer. If it is very wide spread, than it indicates quality product. Quality will not disappear into obscurity just because.

As far as chempedak, Jared is holding the worst and most common variety with brown stains and urine smell. I named it to myself  "junk chempedak". Other varieties have many things different about them. Examples here:
http://tropicalfruitforum.com/index.php?topic=8632.msg180405#msg180405

Mr. Clean

• FLMangos.com
    • US, FL, West Palm Beach, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
    • Florida's Finest Mangos
« Reply #35 on: November 05, 2015, 11:36:26 PM »
Very funny video!  I think ume is supposed to be consumed with rice, to enhance the flavor of rice.  I remember getting rice balls with a red dyed ume in the middle as a kid; I always threw away the ume.  If you haven't tried these already, you might try a palmetto berry, an unripe astringent persimmon, and a prickly pear (cactus fruit).
www.FLMangos.com

110+ fruit trees/plants; 60+ mango trees; 9 jackfruit; 6 avocado; 3 persimmon; longan; and a dog that keeps raccoons and squirrels away.

Tropheus76

• East Orlando 9B
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: November 06, 2015, 03:15:37 PM »
Cant watch the video at work. Is the Irish Strawberry on that list?

mikemap

• Puna and Hilo, Hawai'i
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: November 07, 2015, 09:43:22 AM »

Other than the occasional reference to cannonball as a starvation fruit, this blog post is probably the only source I've seen that makes a substantial claim of edibility.
http://theindianvegan.blogspot.com/2012/10/all-about-cannonball-fruit.html
Mike Parker: kefir fanatic, ethnomusicology hobbyist

fyliu

• Burbank/Covina, CA 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: November 07, 2015, 03:00:18 PM »
Cool that you made this list. I didn't watch it until now.

I recently got to try cranberry and it's pretty bad, sour and bitter at the same time. miracle fruit didn't do anything to the taste. I thought that would be one on your list.

Pancrazio

• Off Tropic
  • Florence, Italy, USDA 8
    • Growing fruits in Florence, and Pratovecchio, Italy
    • View Profile
    • FruttAma.it
« Reply #39 on: November 07, 2015, 04:07:49 PM »
Maybe medlar is an example of a fruit that is almost lost to cultivation?

Medlar suffered mainly, in my opinion, of a change in lifestyles. Here it was custumary to ripen them in the countryside, under the hay and eat them during the winter. Now there's nobody that does that, neither for the hay part, and during winter there isn't for sure a shortage of fresh fruits (citrus from south africa make me laugh: "here we have a fruit that has traveled in few weeks more than me in my entire lifetime").
Italian fruit forum

I want to buy/trade central asia apricots. Contact me in PM if interested.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk