Author Topic: 2021 Lychee Season  (Read 15973 times)

Oncorhynchus

• SW Florida, 9B
    • View Profile
Re: 2021 Lychee Season
« Reply #50 on: February 23, 2021, 09:45:30 PM »
Last year my Sweetheart set and aborted a handful of fruit. I was bummed but since it was a little on the small side I wasn稚 too disappointed.  This year when I saw activity on both my Sweetheart and Mauritius I got excited. A few weeks later all the new growth turned out to be vegetative and no flowers, this time I am disappointed 😠

Seanny

• Garden Grove, Orange County, California, 10B
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: March 01, 2021, 11:21:06 PM »

Emperor

JoeP450

• Mahaha Chinook
    • Palm City FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: March 03, 2021, 12:37:53 AM »

Out of everything I知 growing the bees love the lychee tree the most, whole tree is swarmed and buzzing... has anyone ever had lychee honey? Just as there is clover ect, I can image if one had a lychee grove it would be possible.

-joe

hawkfish007

• Highland, CA, 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: March 03, 2021, 12:43:59 AM »

Out of everything I知 growing the bees love the lychee tree the most, whole tree is swarmed and buzzing... has anyone ever had lychee honey? Just as there is clover ect, I can image if one had a lychee grove it would be possible.

-joe

Beautiful tree! How old is the lychee tree?

sc4001992

• USA, CA, Fullerton
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: March 03, 2021, 03:59:38 AM »
JoeP450, you're sweetheart tree blooms looks great, hope you get plenty of fruits.

Boxturtle, glad to see your first blooms, hope you get many fruits. If you get fruits, please save me a few so I can taste my first Sweetheart.
I hope to have plenty of Brewster fruits this season since my tree looks good with lots of blooms. I can bring you some fruits so I can taste your Sweetheart.

In my yard, I also get a tree full of bees on my lychee tree when the flowers open. But my loquat trees takes the cake, it gets as much bees as the lychee but one year I had a swarm of bees (queen & colony, 5000+) stay over for a week hanging on my loquat tree 15 ft above.

Galatians522

• Florida 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: March 03, 2021, 05:59:31 AM »

-joe

We have had lychee honey from our grove. It has been a couple years, though. It sugars quickly as I recall, but the flavor is fairly light.

Tropheus76

• East Orlando 9B
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: March 03, 2021, 08:47:52 AM »
As of now I have a single branch with flower panicles on my biggest 7 year old 12'tall and wide Sweetheart. My other sweetheart and Emperor look fine but no anything new on them.

Jose Spain

• Marbella, Spain. Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: March 03, 2021, 04:20:31 PM »
Did you know if a theoretical lychee addict with unlimited time and resources wanted to chase fresh lychees over the globe they wouldn't be able to get them in April and September.If they landed in Australia in October and chased the season south along the east coast until the end of March then flew to say Florida or Texas it would be May before they could get any.Then if they winged to Asia for the start of June and chased the season north, by September they would run out. I may be wrong but it looks like the emdless lychee season is not possible.

Southern Spain would be your destiny to have plenty of them in September (season here goes from Aug to Oct). I don't know if there is a equivalent for April in your hemisphere or in ours.

https://www.viverosblanco.com/en/litchi

fruit4me

• USA, CA/LOS ANGELES,SAN GABRIEL
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: March 03, 2021, 06:54:05 PM »
Lychees are blooming nicely here in San Gabriel CA.
This is my Mauritius tree grafted with Sweetheart, Emperor,  Kwai Mai Pink,  Heung Lai, Hakip, late Seedless, and No Mai  Tze. All are growing fine except for No Mai Tsz and Late Seedless. 

mattyboydesigns

• St. Petersburg, Florida 9b/10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: March 03, 2021, 09:11:14 PM »
Flowers are bursting and the bees are loving it.

Galatians522

• Florida 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: March 03, 2021, 10:06:59 PM »
Did you know if a theoretical lychee addict with unlimited time and resources wanted to chase fresh lychees over the globe they wouldn't be able to get them in April and September.If they landed in Australia in October and chased the season south along the east coast until the end of March then flew to say Florida or Texas it would be May before they could get any.Then if they winged to Asia for the start of June and chased the season north, by September they would run out. I may be wrong but it looks like the emdless lychee season is not possible.

Southern Spain would be your destiny to have plenty of them in September (season here goes from Aug to Oct). I don't know if there is a equivalent for April in your hemisphere or in ours.

Do they fruit consistently at that time of the year? That is incredible! October would be equivalent to April in the southern hemisphere according to my calculations.

beicadad

• San Diego
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: March 03, 2021, 11:45:42 PM »
Lychees are blooming nicely here in San Gabriel CA.
This is my Mauritius tree grafted with Sweetheart, Emperor,  Kwai Mai Pink,  Heung Lai, Hakip, late Seedless, and No Mai  Tze. All are growing fine except for No Mai Tsz and Late Seedless. 

Wow you have so many grafts! Can you comment on productivity especially the Sweetheart?

nothingincommon

• Homestead, FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: March 04, 2021, 11:43:51 AM »
I need some lychees in my life this year.
Surprisingly, here in small-town Tennessee, our Kroger grocery store had some excellent Melissa's branded lychees last year.
Hoping for a repeat

i can send you a couple of pounds for free99 - youd just have to be responsible for the postage

fruit4me

• View Profile
« Reply #63 on: March 04, 2021, 11:44:05 AM »
Beicadad

All the grafts are 2 to 3 years old, except for the late Seedless. Late Seedless was grafted a few months ago and barely pushing now. This will be the first year  I'll be  letting these grafts fruit. I have about 8 panicles of Sweethearts blooming very nicely. Will post updates later in the season.

Seanny

• View Profile
« Reply #64 on: March 04, 2021, 11:46:25 AM »
All varieties cleft grafted?

nothingincommon

• Homestead, FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: March 04, 2021, 11:46:48 AM »

Thats it - im buying land in southern Spain now :P

fruit4me

• View Profile
« Reply #66 on: March 04, 2021, 12:01:48 PM »
Yes, all cleft grafted when toothpick size.

Here's the Late Seedless

« Last Edit: March 04, 2021, 12:52:08 PM by fruit4me »

shaneatwell

• California, San Diego, sunset 23 and 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: March 04, 2021, 01:26:27 PM »
that's the graft right there? incredible. thanks!
Shane

beicadad

• San Diego
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: March 04, 2021, 02:06:30 PM »
Yes, all cleft grafted when toothpick size.

Here's the Late Seedless

you must be doing something right. my graft take rate on lychees was like 15%. Please share your tips if your success rate is high.

I suspect that aligning time of graft with growth flush could make a difference. none of the side veneer grafts took, the only ones that worked were the ones cleft-grafted on branches at "premium" locations.

Thanks.

Seanny

• View Profile
« Reply #69 on: March 04, 2021, 02:56:49 PM »
I知 impressed.

I知 looking for seedless lychee scions to graft.
Late seedless always dwarf like Emperor?

fruit4me

• View Profile
« Reply #70 on: March 04, 2021, 04:42:34 PM »
@Seanny
My Late Seedless is planted in a bad spot due to lack of space. Doesn't grow much, currently blooming as well. Not enough sunlight to grow. Will see how it does grafted on the  Mauritius.

Got nice bloom on Emperor lychee also. I grew this tree from a small airlayered stick that I bought off eBay. Its grows well for me here in Socal. Guessing around  6 to 7 years old. 
 Emperor lychee

Jose Spain

• Marbella, Spain. Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: March 04, 2021, 05:06:40 PM »

Do they fruit consistently at that time of the year? That is incredible! October would be equivalent to April in the southern hemisphere according to my calculations.

That's right, season in the subtropical coasts of Andalusia (Malaga and Granada) goes from August to October, actually the latest cvs are the most consistent because they flower when temps are already warm enough for setting fruit, while earlier cvs ripening in August depend more on the weather of each year, you can see the dates for each variety in the link.

mattyboydesigns

• St. Petersburg, Florida 9b/10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: March 05, 2021, 05:00:25 PM »
Went for a walk around the neighborhood. Neighbors tree putting all the mangos in the area to shame. What's everyone's guess on the age of this beauty.

lebmung

• Romania, Bucharest,7b (inside city 8a)
    • View Profile
    • Plante tropicale
« Reply #73 on: March 05, 2021, 06:03:49 PM »
what do you guys think, is it possible to grow and fruit a Wai Chee in a 12 gallon pot?

Galatians522

• Florida 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: March 05, 2021, 10:27:39 PM »
Went for a walk around the neighborhood. Neighbors tree putting all the mangos in the area to shame. What's everyone's guess on the age of this beauty.

I think its safe to say that it is 25 years old or more, beyond that it is hard to say because trees vary so much in growth by that time based on soil conditions and variety. I know of trees in town closing in on 100 that are not much bigger than that and also some that were planted later that would dwarf it.