Author Topic: caught rat in the cage - what to do with it  (Read 10423 times)

John Travis

• Winter Park FL 9b
    • View Profile
Re: caught rat in the cage - what to do with it
« Reply #25 on: March 21, 2020, 12:41:35 PM »
You can put the trap into a trash bag or other plastic type container. Then put some dry ice into the container. As the CO2 offgasses it will displace the air in the container as CO2 is more dense than atmospheric air. With no oxygen in the container the rat dies pretty quickly. CO2 death is likely the most humane way to kill the trapped rats. You can also do this with a baking soda and vinegar reaction, or any other way to produce CO2 quickly.
John

spaugh

• San Diego County California
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 21, 2020, 01:00:49 PM »
JAWZ brand are the best snap traps I've used.  They have a mouse size and a Rat size.  Crumble a little peanut in the bait bucket and that's it, super easy.

« Last Edit: March 21, 2020, 01:05:11 PM by spaugh »
Brad Spaugh

knlim000

• redwood city,ca
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 21, 2020, 02:31:37 PM »
Spaugh,
I have it too. They are very scary to use.  Even I feel unfordable setting up the baits in it.  Sorry afraid to get my hand accidentally caught in it. Not sure if anyone ever got their hands caught in it

You really need to hide it out of the way for dogs and cats.  They can get seriously injured.

I like the cage as I don't have to worry around my little dog, or neighbors cats , or my siblings kids.

spaugh

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 21, 2020, 02:54:53 PM »
You put the bait 8n before setting the trap and with the way it's designed there's no way of getting your hand stuck in it.  That's the whole point of how it's designed.

Other animals is a concern.  I dont have any pets or neighbors animals out here so no worries.  I just stick them in the corner of my greenhouse and get the rodents in there so they dont eat my seedlings.  They love to eat freshly sprouted plants. 
Brad Spaugh

TucsonKen

• USA, AZ, Tucson, zone 9a
    • View Profile
    • KEN STOCKTON Southwest Landscape Artist
« Reply #29 on: March 21, 2020, 03:08:31 PM »
I used to use snap traps (the old-fashioned wood-and-wire jobs) but have killed unintended critters with them. Worst was when I tried to avoid killing one of the numerous lizards in our yard, and so wired it partway up the trunk of a citrus tree the pack rats were ruining. A short time later I found a dead cardinal that had been curious enough to peck the bait tab. :-(  I've caught young rabbits, quail & other birds, lizards, and even a western diamondback in my Havahart. I like being able to release them unharmed if I catch the wrong thing.

Daintree

• Boise, Idaho - zone 6, with a zone 12 greenhouse...
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: March 22, 2020, 10:36:51 AM »
The propblem with catch and release (which I practice in my greenhouse) or snap-trapping is that although a rats home range is only about 100 yards, and mouses even smaller at about 20 yards, what keeps the range small is neighboring rodents.  So you can trap and remove all rodents in your area, but once those are gone, more move in.  The same thing is experienced in feral cat populations.  What we need is a resident population of rats that wont eat your stuff and wont reproduce.  There is a rat birth control out now that keeps the resident population from expanding. I tried to get in on the study, but I only have mice and they needed rats. Of course that still leaves the problem of keeping them from eating your stuff. Let's solve THAT one and make a million bucks!

Carolyn

saltyreefer

• Palm Bay, Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 22, 2020, 09:44:07 PM »
Kill it!

palmcity

• Martin County, Fl zone10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 22, 2020, 11:27:45 PM »
Agree with most posts.... Sort of like cockroaches, I know I will never permanently rid my property of them. But, I will never stop trying.  8)

Donsout

• Toronto
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 04, 2021, 09:27:58 AM »
Even though it may sound relaxing, it is not like that, believe me. Be careful because those animals are not inoffensive at all. The argument is that they are often so tiny that you don't even consider them, and once they get sick, it's game over... I would advise you to contact a raccoon removal company. I'm sure they're doing something similar, but it could cost you a bit extra because it's a rat, not a raccoon. Anyway, if you think this damn small animal will bite you, it's completely worth it. I really hope that you will consider my words here and protect yourself from an eventual attack.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2021, 05:19:47 AM by Donsout »

Donsout

• Toronto
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 04, 2021, 09:29:19 AM »
Even though it may sound relaxing, it is not like that, believe me. Be careful because those animals are not inoffensive at all.

Donsout

• Toronto
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 04, 2021, 09:29:43 AM »
Even though it may sound relaxing, it is not like that, believe me. Be careful because those animals are not inoffensive at all.

bovine421

• Shake Rag Rd Fl 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: March 04, 2021, 10:09:10 AM »
The propblem with catch and release (which I practice in my greenhouse) or snap-trapping is that although a rats home range is only about 100 yards, and mouses even smaller at about 20 yards, what keeps the range small is neighboring rodents.  So you can trap and remove all rodents in your area, but once those are gone, more move in.  The same thing is experienced in feral cat populations.  What we need is a resident population of rats that wont eat your stuff and wont reproduce.  There is a rat birth control out now that keeps the resident population from expanding. I tried to get in on the study, but I only have mice and they needed rats. Of course that still leaves the problem of keeping them from eating your stuff. Let's solve THAT one and make a million bucks!

Carolyn³
Birth control for rats! What about iguanas? I think you would be able to sell both in South Florida.
Tete Nene Julie Juliet Carrie Ice Cream Coconut Cream Little Gem  Dot  Mallika PPK  OS  Pina Colada Cotton Candy Buxton Spice Karen Michelle M-4 Beverly Marc Anthony White Pirie Lychee Cherilata Plantain Barbados Cherry

Plantinyum

• Bulgaria , near Sofia city , planting zone 7
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: March 04, 2021, 10:38:02 AM »
I just trew them with a sharp movement right out of the trap and into a barrel  half filled with water, it drowns in seconds...I know some people hate to hear of others killing annimals, and rats in this case ,but those bastards damaged alot of my rare plants in the basement , so I have no mercy and dont care how , as long as they are dead....
« Last Edit: March 04, 2021, 10:51:31 AM by Plantinyum »

spaugh

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: March 04, 2021, 03:47:29 PM »
I laughed at the rat birth control pills.  Its probably toxic to any other animal that consumes them. 

I'll stick to killing them.
Brad Spaugh

345 desoto

• Port Saint Lucie, Florida
    • n/a
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: March 04, 2021, 04:30:12 PM »
CHOOT 'em Lizabet!!!...

swincher

• Western WA (zone 8b, zone 10a greenhouse)
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: March 04, 2021, 04:34:58 PM »
Despite having two wonderful pet rats (such friendly, curious, intelligent creatures), I fully endorse the slaughter of their untamed brethren. But try to keep it humane/quick/painless as you can, please. They are very smart little bastards, seems wrong to unduly torture an intelligent animal, even a horrible pest of one.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2021, 04:37:26 PM by swincher »

Mike T

• Zone 12a
  • Cairns,Nth Qld, Australia
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: March 04, 2021, 05:57:27 PM »
There are so many rat species and even in the genus Rattus I have quite a few native ones in my area. If it is Rattus rattus or even the brown rat I suggest a hole beside a tree and fertilizer patrol for the carcases. Rats cannot hold their breath very well.

850FL

• zone 8b/9a
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: March 04, 2021, 09:13:17 PM »
Shoot the creep. Had one escape from a live trap in my trunk once. Never again

JulianoGS

• USA, South Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: March 05, 2021, 08:17:38 PM »
Rat BBQ  ;D
Be very careful and mindful of what you sow, for whatever a man sows, that he will also reap.

spaugh

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: March 05, 2021, 09:48:05 PM »

Haha, why would you put it in the trunk?  If its still alive a quick whacked with a shovel or the back side of a machete and they are done. 
Brad Spaugh

850FL

• zone 8b/9a
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: March 05, 2021, 09:55:55 PM »

Haha, why would you put it in the trunk?  If its still alive a quick whacked with a shovel or the back side of a machete and they are done.

Kind of had a blip in reasoning that day.. my buddy wanted me to release it somewhere so I was gonna honor his request. same dude feeds squirrels in an 'attempt to fill them up so they wont go digging in the pots'. ???
« Last Edit: March 07, 2021, 06:06:00 PM by 850FL »

850FL

• zone 8b/9a
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: March 05, 2021, 10:00:13 PM »
They get smart after you catch them though. Another one he let go like a fool and that stupid imp now has a routine of terrorizing sleeping birds once the sun goes down, and wont step foot in the trap no matter how much peanut butter i stick in there

Kuhyay

• Zone 10a
    • San Diego, CA, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: March 05, 2021, 11:36:02 PM »
I catch rats every few days. I personally can’t bear to kill them. I release them in an open area a few minutes away so they can live their life away from my fruit trees
Kenny

bovine421

• Shake Rag Rd Fl 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: March 06, 2021, 08:42:01 AM »
I catch rats every few days. I personally can’t bear to kill them. I release them in an open area a few minutes away so they can live their life away from my fruit trees
Since you seem to have an affection for the vole
Would you be interested in buying my timeshare.lol

They sell a tickle gun down in South Florida.  The distributor down in Wilmington informs me that you have to wait until the rat lifts his tail to get the death tickle :o
« Last Edit: March 06, 2021, 10:27:55 AM by bovine421 »
Tete Nene Julie Juliet Carrie Ice Cream Coconut Cream Little Gem  Dot  Mallika PPK  OS  Pina Colada Cotton Candy Buxton Spice Karen Michelle M-4 Beverly Marc Anthony White Pirie Lychee Cherilata Plantain Barbados Cherry

Iceman716238

• Orlando, FL 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: March 06, 2021, 02:06:54 PM »
I catch and release them.
In fact i even released otther people rats from traps without them knowing.

That's horrible....
Drowning them or pellet gun works fine.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk