Author Topic: Landscape Fabric - Ground Cover Fabric - Weed Block Ground Materials - Ideas?  (Read 1270 times)

Kevin Jones

• Alabama - USA
    • View Profile
OK... I'm getting ready to clear-out my greenhouse floor back to bare soil.
Obviously it is a very fertile area for grass and weeds to pop up.
Plenty of sunlight... heat... water... and fertilizer.
I wanted to get some recommendations for Weed Block Ground Fabrics/Materials.
I see all kind of products available on-line...
So what do you use that works best for you?
Thanks again for any ideas you might share.

Kevin Jones

Bush2Beach

• Santa Cruz, California Sunset Zone 17
    • View Profile
Sheet mulching with large cardboard from furniture Stores and a truckload of woodchips on top.
Cheapest and best way to not eventually release micro plastics into your soil.

spaugh

• San Diego County California
    • View Profile
Concrete for the win....
Brad Spaugh

SeaWalnut

• Romania zone 6
    • View Profile
Roundup its an option too but takes long time to take effect like 2 weeks or more.
Be carefull not to touch any green part of your trees with it.

zephian

• USA, CA, Yuba City Zone 9B
    • View Profile
I did weed fabric and gravel.
Bermuda grass moved in.
sprayed grass.
Came back.
Sprayed again.
and again
it's still there.
-Kris

pineislander

• Bokeelia, FL
    • View Profile
If it is outside it will move in even under landscape fabric.

Daintree

• Boise, Idaho - zone 6, with a zone 12 greenhouse...
    • View Profile
What I REALLY wanted to get for my greenhouse floor was some high-quality fake grass!  I even found a local supplier of used football and soccer turf!  Pretty inexpensive too.  But then I found out that it is all full of rubber pellets, so I didn't get any.  Still, if you could remove the pellets, it would be cool!

Carolyn

nattyfroootz

• Santa Cruz California
    • View Profile
I'm about to be setting up a new greenhouse after having a 12 x 20 for a couple years now. 

In efforts to improve my set up I Am going to be laying weed fabric throughout the greenhouse to cover the entire floor area and about 2 feet outside of the greenhouse on all sides.  I have a lot of issues with rodents burrowing under my baseboards and think that this will help a lot to keep pests out.  I am also thinking that having the weed fabric will keep weeds down for the most part if I do a lot of overlap.  I am checking out 12 x 300' rolls so will probably double layer the 12' sections with like 8 feet of overlap.  I'm not big into plastic, but just think this will be the best solution given my situation. 
Grow cooler fruits

www.wildlandsplants.com

spaugh

• San Diego County California
    • View Profile
You want perforated plastic so water doesn't pool up in it a d tuen your GH into a kiddie pool. 
Brad Spaugh

brian

• Pennsylvania (zone 6) w/ heated greenhouse
    • View Profile
I used to have white plastic down on my greenhouse floor.  I assumed that it allowed water through when I bought it because it said "landscape fabric" but in reality it is just a roll of painter's tarp.  However, after I put it down I simply poked holes anywhere that water pooled and it ended up working out great.  I only removed it because it floated away when I flooded my greenhouse and I didn't feel like re-doing it.

I like the cardboard idea, though.  I remember reading newspaper as a suggestion elsewhere also.  Supposed to be as effective as landscape fabric

marklee

• Chula Vista, California Zone 24 or 10b
    • View Profile
Get the nursery grade weed cloth, mine has worked for about 8 years, but it eventually breaks down.