Author Topic: Planning My Last Few Mangos  (Read 3071 times)

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
Re: Planning My Last Few Mangos
« Reply #25 on: August 16, 2020, 06:27:07 PM »
Bailey's Marvel is a very vigorous tree which you will probably have difficulty down the road and keeping it a size that
For a smaller tree grown closer to the coast, with a classic flavor profile but very complex, you might want to consider Spirit of 76. Spirit of 76 is a snaller sized tree.
Interesting you say that. I have one Spirit of '76 and two Bailey's Marvel here on Pine Island, SWFL. The Spirit of 76 I have is of equal vigor & height to Bailey's Marvel. I had to climb the tree with a pole to harvest '76 this year.

Maybe due to rootstock or location?  How old and large are the trees?

I have never noticed a Spirit of 76 having same vigor as Baileys.
- Rob

FruitGrower

• South Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 16, 2020, 10:40:46 PM »
Bailey's Marvel is a very vigorous tree which you will probably have difficulty down the road and keeping it a size that
For a smaller tree grown closer to the coast, with a classic flavor profile but very complex, you might want to consider Spirit of 76. Spirit of 76 is a snaller sized tree.
Interesting you say that. I have one Spirit of '76 and two Bailey's Marvel here on Pine Island, SWFL. The Spirit of 76 I have is of equal vigor & height to Bailey's Marvel. I had to climb the tree with a pole to harvest '76 this year.

I would also be interested in knowing how old your trees are and if you find the fruit comparable?

johnb51

• USA Deerfield Beach, FL Zone 11a
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 17, 2020, 09:14:16 AM »
I would also be interested in knowing how old your trees are and if you find the fruit comparable?
Meaning how '76 and BM compare in flavor, right?  Me, too.
John

bsbullie

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 17, 2020, 09:35:30 AM »
On the east coast, tastes have been consistent for both varieties from multiple growers of each.

BM - classic mango with an acidic component.
Spirit of 76 - classic mango with a definite fruit cocktail taste profile (mango, peach and cherry...think flavors from Dole fruit cocktail can).
- Rob

johnb51

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 17, 2020, 09:58:10 AM »
On the east coast, tastes have been consistent for both varieties from multiple growers of each.

BM - classic mango with an acidic component.
Spirit of 76 - classic mango with a definite fruit cocktail taste profile (mango, peach and cherry...think flavors from Dole fruit cocktail can).
I finally got to taste my Providence mangos this year even though I no longer own the tree (or the house).  For me they have a flavor very similar to their parent Kent, which is "canned fruit cocktail," and they are some huge mangos, up to 3 lbs!  Also, the fruit is clean.  No MBBS so far.  But I've never tasted Spirit of 76.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2020, 09:44:42 AM by johnb51 »
John

bsbullie

• View Profile
« Reply #30 on: August 17, 2020, 11:09:07 AM »
Providence and Spirit of 76 have absolutely nothing in common in taste and/or texture.
- Rob

johnb51

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 17, 2020, 02:32:34 PM »
Providence and Spirit of 76 have absolutely nothing in common in taste and/or texture.
Interesting.  What does Providence taste like to you?  You don't think it tastes anything like its parent Kent?
« Last Edit: August 18, 2020, 09:47:31 AM by johnb51 »
John

FruitGrower

• South Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 17, 2020, 07:26:46 PM »
Meaning how '76 and BM compare in flavor, right?  Me, too.

Yes, in terms of flavor. I ask because, although I did get the classic mango flavor in the BM, I also got a “fruity” note that I have not tasted in any other mango (though I haven’t tasted fruit punch yet). That’s why I am trying hard to make the BM tree fit in that space. Maybe the Spirit of 76 does have that flavor too? I’ve never had it.

palmcity

• Martin County, Fl zone10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 17, 2020, 11:35:35 PM »
About 4 years ago I went to the taste test mass event at ERickson Farms. I was in line going around the table and I raved about the Spirit of 76 when I first tasted it saying I thought it was the best of the available varieties on the table back then and the one person next to me seemed to agree...

Then the results came in and I think it was way down low at about the 12th favorite.... lol... tastes sure vary...

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk