Author Topic: ADVICE: Can I prune my 'Mexicola Grande' now?  (Read 486 times)

Epicatt2

• Fruit forest in progress . . .
    • Tampa, FL / Zone 9b
    • View Profile
ADVICE: Can I prune my 'Mexicola Grande' now?
« on: September 10, 2020, 11:20:27 PM »
Gentle TFF Members,

Can I prune my 'Mexicola Grande' now, in September?

It has been in the ground for 3-1/2 years and has gone from 3 feet to now about 16 feet tall, maybe a bit taller.  I had intended to keep it pruned it down to about eight to ten feet tall and allow it to spread horizontally for ease of harvesting (a la Dr. Campbell), but it's gotten away from me.

It may be too late in the year now to prune it so far back, but if I don't it will just be that much taller by this coming spring.  Can I do it now or should I wait 'til after the next blooming season?

It bloomed profusely in Spring 2018 but only set one fruit.  This past Spring 2019 it did not bloom at all. It receives citrus fertilizer about every 3 to 4 months.

So what do the avocado mavens on TFF recommend, please?

Comments, suggestions please.

Cheers!

Paul M.
==

spaugh

• San Diego County California
    • View Profile
Re: ADVICE: Can I prune my 'Mexicola Grande' now?
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2020, 11:58:23 PM »
You can prune e it whenever you want.  It may be better to wait until the temperatures are lower so the wood you expose doesn't get cooked.  Otherwise, it doesn't really matter much when you trim it.  Is the fruit already off the tree for the year?

I also planted a mex grande a few years ago and it has grown extremely fast and set fruit this year that are just now ripening.  I'm probably going to wait until November when fruit are done to trim it back. 
Brad Spaugh

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk