Author Topic: Seed development after picking  (Read 391 times)

David Kipps

• Aroda, VA, zone 7a
    • View Profile
Seed development after picking
« on: November 15, 2023, 06:33:36 PM »
Will seeds within a slightly immature fruit continue to improve viability after the fruit is picked?  I usually hear that citrus fruit do not continue to ripen after picking (But I have heard a few disagreements to this.).  What about seeds?  Due to freezes, my borderline hardy citrus need to be picked before totally ripe (or even fall off).  I am primarily interested in the seeds for producing a next generation.  Will letting these green/halfgreen fruit sit on the counter for a week or two help the seeds to become more viable, or should I just cut them and extract the seeds right away and plant right away?

Ilya11

• France, Paris region, Vaux le Penil, middle of Northern z8
    • View Profile
Re: Seed development after picking
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2023, 04:03:48 AM »
I have done this several time and found that seed maturation exist, but the fruit should reach a certain phase at the moment of harvest.  It is better to pick it when yellow color starts to appear.
Best regards,
                       Ilya

David Kipps

• Aroda, VA, zone 7a
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2023, 08:15:04 AM »
So if I pick just as starting to yellow,  the seeds will continue to improve in viability if I wait to cut them open ?

poncirsguy

• Cincinnati, Ohio, USA, 6a/6b
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2023, 10:09:17 AM »
Most trees get stripped of there fruit before they are ripe so the seeds have to be ready before the fruit is ripe

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk