Author Topic: Issue with my yuzu plant  (Read 731 times)

tropic_tester

• Bay Area, CA: USDA10A | Sunset17 | Heat3
    • View Profile
Issue with my yuzu plant
« on: May 24, 2021, 09:41:33 PM »
I got a yuzu plant a little while back and seemed to be doing fine for a while. But, as of late it doesn't seem to be doing too well. Some of its leaves are yellowing and dropping, but also is pushing new growth below the main leaves but above the graft. What is wrong with it? I water it when I can tell the soil is dry. Does this look like environmental/soil stressors or more because of pests?

« Last Edit: May 25, 2021, 01:28:46 AM by tropic_tester »

Millet

• Colorado
    • View Profile
Re: Issue with my yuzu plant
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2021, 11:12:30 AM »
It looks like it is under fertilized.  When you do fertilize what is the fertilize you use?   Hopefully it is not an organic fertilizer, due to the fact that your tree is a container grown tree.

tropic_tester

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2021, 01:00:30 PM »
I'm new to gardening, what is wrong with organic fertilizer? I don't think I'm using an organic fertilizer, but I'll have to check. What would be the best way to fertilize my plant?

CanadianCitrus

• Canada
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2021, 03:02:22 PM »
Hey tropic_tester,

Something highest in nitrogen, low in phosphorus and high in potassium. Organic fertilizers struggle in containers as I think they need microorganisms to be used effectively. I know you can go through the effort to make a “compost tea” to assist but that is a lot of work to do if you are going the organic route.

I just bought a bag of Jacks 25-5-15 fertilizer on the recommendation of many people here.

tropic_tester

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2021, 03:07:05 PM »
Hey tropic_tester,

Something highest in nitrogen, low in phosphorus and high in potassium. Organic fertilizers struggle in containers as I think they need microorganisms to be used effectively. I know you can go through the effort to make a “compost tea” to assist but that is a lot of work to do if you are going the organic route.

I just bought a bag of Jacks 25-5-15 fertilizer on the recommendation of many people here.

Thank you for the advice, ill try to get that and report back. Would something like blood meal be helpful as well? I found a bag of it in my garage. I believe my parents might have gotten it a while back.
EDIT: I found the rating on the cirtus fertilizer I use is 16-4-8. Should I just apply more of it? I don't think I fertilize it frequently, I probably only applied fertilizer once or twice since potting it up.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2021, 03:31:56 PM by tropic_tester »

Millet

• Colorado
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2021, 05:48:56 PM »
The fertilizer you have would be OK for your tree. However, look on the bag and see if it also contains the trace elements (Manganese, boron, magnesium, zinc,  copper and etc.)  Trace elements are essential for citrus.  Without trace minerals your tree will always be in trouble. Fertilize at a  VERY MINIMUM once a month.  If you don't want to mess with constant fertilizing every now and then, you can purchase Osmocote-PLUS which is a slow release fertilizer.  Each application lasts for 5-6  months, and slowly supplies nutrients to your tree  with every watering.

tropic_tester

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2021, 09:49:57 PM »
The fertilizer you have would be OK for your tree. However, look on the bag and see if it also contains the trace elements (Manganese, boron, magnesium, zinc,  copper and etc.)  Trace elements are essential for citrus.  Without trace minerals your tree will always be in trouble. Fertilize at a  VERY MINIMUM once a month.  If you don't want to mess with constant fertilizing every now and then, you can purchase Osmocote-PLUS which is a slow release fertilizer.  Each application lasts for 5-6  months, and slowly supplies nutrients to your tree  with every watering.

Okay ill take another look at the bag and start by doing a round of fertilizing. I was afraid of over fertilizing and potentially burning the roots but wasn't sure what was the proper amount. I'll see if it improves with this feeding or if it needs something else. Thanks everyone.