Author Topic: Marula (Sclerocarya birrea)  (Read 11875 times)

EvilFruit

• Dubai, UAE
    • View Profile
Re: Marula (Sclerocarya birrea)
« Reply #25 on: May 16, 2019, 11:50:05 AM »
I Finally got my first Marula fruit from my single tree. I bought the seeds from Stuart in 2016 or 2015.

More update coming up soon.
Moh'd

barath

• Southern California, USDA Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 16, 2019, 01:00:58 PM »
Does that mean that it doesn't need cross pollination?

EvilFruit

• Dubai, UAE
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 16, 2019, 06:12:01 PM »
The average weight of Marula fruit is around 19.6g and mine is 24g, not too bad I guess  :P.

Does that mean that it doesn't need cross pollination?

In my case, Yes it doesn't need cross pollination but having a single tree might hurt the yield. I have seen only female flowers on my tree and It produced about 5 ripe fruits and a few unripe fruits that got knocked out by a strong wind/Shamal.

Moh'd

shaneatwell

• California, San Diego, sunset 23 and 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 17, 2019, 10:43:39 AM »
I'm jealous. Got my seeds in late 2014. Trees will probably reach the roofline this year after several years of slow growth. I have a probable female and my approach grafts from last year have taken (unknown and probable male). At least they're not as slow as the baobabs I got in the same seed shipment. That's still only 10 inches tall.
Shane

sanitarium

• Slovakia, zone 7a
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 18, 2019, 06:30:24 AM »
The average weight of Marula fruit is around 19.6g and mine is 24g, not too bad I guess

In my case, Yes it doesn't need cross pollination but having a single tree might hurt the yield. I have seen only female flowers on my tree and It produced about 5 ripe fruits and a few unripe fruits that got knocked out by a strong wind/Shamal.

what was the taste?
Daniel

EvilFruit

• Dubai, UAE
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: May 18, 2019, 05:25:36 PM »
I'm jealous. Got my seeds in late 2014. Trees will probably reach the roofline this year after several years of slow growth. I have a probable female and my approach grafts from last year have taken (unknown and probable male). At least they're not as slow as the baobabs I got in the same seed shipment. That's still only 10 inches tall.

Try to feed it NPK, Marula respond really well to Chemical Fertilizer.

Here is my tree. The wall in the right side is 8ft.

unripe fruit

Moh'd

EvilFruit

• Dubai, UAE
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 18, 2019, 05:34:54 PM »
The average weight of Marula fruit is around 19.6g and mine is 24g, not too bad I guess

what was the taste?

A little bit sour with pleasant smell, It not the most enjoyable fruit in the world but I like it, I personally will put it in the same category as June plum, maybe a little higher.

As for flavor/taste, Marula is from Anacardiaceae family, the flavor remind me of unripe mango.
Moh'd

FlyingFoxFruits

• Prince of Plinia
  • www.FlyingFoxFruits.com
    • USA, FEMA Region IV, FL Zone 9a
    • View Profile
    • Flying Fox Fruits
« Reply #32 on: December 11, 2023, 12:00:19 AM »
trees are strong mine handled 25F with some die back and bark burn, but grew right out of it, i have two in full sun like 20ft tall, over 8y old, i hope to taste fruits soon, i hadn't seen flowers yet but i think they're close...same with parkia biglobosa
www.FlyingFoxFruits.com

www.PLINIAS.com

https://www.ebay.com/usr/flyingfoxfruits

www.youtube.com/FlyingFoxFruits

https://www.instagram.com/flyingfoxfruits/
I disabled the forum's personal messaging system, please send an email to contact me, FlyingFoxFruits@gmail.com

elouicious

• Houston, Tx
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: December 11, 2023, 11:02:57 PM »
great info!

Both of these (Parkia biglobosa and Sclerocarya birrea) were surprising more cold hardy than I expected- but the 18f here killed both (two years old)