Author Topic: Russian experimental garden  (Read 11257 times)

Forester

• Zone 4 Russia
    • View Profile
Re: Russian experimental garden
« Reply #25 on: July 14, 2019, 02:04:36 AM »
Hi, guys. I have a lot of fruit Passiflora brionioides. Does anyone know if it's okay to eat?

❀ Sergey ❀

pinkdiamonds

• Australia 9a
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 15, 2019, 07:19:10 AM »
Hi friends, I grow dragon fruit in Russia, can someone share professional advice on how to grow it properly. I made a short video, sorry for my bad english.  :-[
https://youtu.be/KdCwq_xosp0

Здравствуйте Сергей,

Главное проблема в России не лето а зима. Мороз будет убивать ваши питаи. Сколько градусов у вас зимой?

Успеха вам.

Хосе.
Hi, yes, of course, in winter it is very cold here. I'm going to move the dragon fruit for the winter in a warm room, where the temperature is +22 C

It'll be fine at 22c! The only time my dragon fruits died were when I let them get hit by frost, otherwise they're fine outside   under a pergola or frost cloth.   We got -7.6c last year and it didn't die from the cold, however, direct light frost in spring killed it. I have had many over the years, the biggest mistake I've made was thinking that they were hardened somewhat after living through winters and putting  them out in the spring only to be turned to mush by the lightest of frosts :(

Forester

• Zone 4 Russia
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 15, 2019, 08:11:23 AM »
Hi friends, I grow dragon fruit in Russia, can someone share professional advice on how to grow it properly. I made a short video, sorry for my bad english.  :-[

Здравствуйте Сергей,

Главное проблема в России не лето а зима. Мороз будет убивать ваши питаи. Сколько градусов у вас зимой?

Успеха вам.

Хосе.
Hi, yes, of course, in winter it is very cold here. I'm going to move the dragon fruit for the winter in a warm room, where the temperature is +22 C

It'll be fine at 22c! The only time my dragon fruits died were when I let them get hit by frost, otherwise they're fine outside   under a pergola or frost cloth.   We got -7.6c last year and it didn't die from the cold, however, direct light frost in spring killed it. I have had many over the years, the biggest mistake I've made was thinking that they were hardened somewhat after living through winters and putting  them out in the spring only to be turned to mush by the lightest of frosts :(
I’ll take away my plants from the frost to a warm room, today we have another problem, since the beginning of July it rains every day, it’s good that my dragon fruit is in the greenhouse, otherwise it would have drowned! :-\
❀ Sergey ❀

Forester

• Zone 4 Russia
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 15, 2019, 11:38:42 AM »
Opuntia phaeacantha was planted in the open ground in the summer of 2018. Wintered without shelter in the frost -25C. This season is actively growing.
❀ Sergey ❀

Forester

• Zone 4 Russia
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 12, 2019, 02:50:57 AM »

Cyphomandra abutiloides
❀ Sergey ❀

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #30 on: August 12, 2019, 05:56:31 AM »

Cyphomandra abutiloides
Very impressive what you are doing! How do you heat your greenhouse? How was the taste on the C. abutiloides?
Oscar

Forester

• Zone 4 Russia
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 12, 2019, 08:23:43 AM »

Cyphomandra abutiloides
Very impressive what you are doing! How do you heat your greenhouse? How was the taste on the C. abutiloides?
Hi Oscar. Now I have a household heater installed in the greenhouse. I keep the plants in the greenhouse until the end of October and with the onset of cold weather I move them into the house. My house allows you to keep a large number of plants in 3 gallon pots in winter. In the spring with the onset of heat, I again move them to the greenhouse. Plans for the future to build a greenhouse with climate control. I tried this C. abutiloides the taste disappointed me. Very bitter peel, it interrupts the taste of the fruit, which seemed to me like a slightly sweet tomato.
❀ Sergey ❀

Forester

• Zone 4 Russia
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 12, 2019, 09:28:12 AM »
It is not related to fruit, but it is very beautiful. Australian endemic Swainsona formosa grows in cold Russia! 8)
❀ Sergey ❀

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #33 on: August 13, 2019, 06:16:45 PM »

Cyphomandra abutiloides
Hi Oscar. Now I have a household heater installed in the greenhouse. I keep the plants in the greenhouse until the end of October and with the onset of cold weather I move them into the house. My house allows you to keep a large number of plants in 3 gallon pots in winter. In the spring with the onset of heat, I again move them to the greenhouse. Plans for the future to build a greenhouse with climate control. I tried this C. abutiloides the taste disappointed me. Very bitter peel, it interrupts the taste of the fruit, which seemed to me like a slightly sweet tomato.
Is the C. abutiloides too small to make worth peeling before eating?
Oscar

SeaWalnut

• Romania zone 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: August 13, 2019, 06:30:27 PM »
It is not related to fruit, but it is very beautiful. Australian endemic Swainsona formosa grows in cold Russia! 8)

Verry nice flowers.If you like australian plants there is one you can plant it outdoor where you are,Eucalyptus Pauciflora Debeuzevillei.The most cold hardy eucalyptus with beautifull bark but beware that it poisons the soil like a walnut.

Forester

• Zone 4 Russia
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: August 13, 2019, 11:37:52 PM »

Verry nice flowers.If you like australian plants there is one you can plant it outdoor where you are,Eucalyptus Pauciflora Debeuzevillei.The most cold hardy eucalyptus with beautifull bark but beware that it poisons the soil like a walnut.
I think this eucalyptus is not able to survive in my area of ​​residence. From December to March, the temperature in my region ranges from -15 to -27 ° C. But thanks for the advice, I appreciate it!
❀ Sergey ❀

Forester

• Zone 4 Russia
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: August 13, 2019, 11:46:16 PM »
Hi Oscar, its size is like that.

❀ Sergey ❀

Forester

• Zone 4 Russia
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: August 14, 2019, 02:02:40 AM »
Naranjilla has given many fruits, now I want to wait for ripening.
❀ Sergey ❀

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #38 on: August 14, 2019, 02:17:40 AM »
Hi Oscar, its size is like that.

OK, thanks for addittional photos. Yes that's quite small to be peeling.
Oscar

Forester

• Zone 4 Russia
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: August 22, 2019, 02:44:45 AM »
One of the few fruit trees in my garden is Juglans mandshurica. Very frost-resistant, the tree is 9 years old, this is the first fruiting.

❀ Sergey ❀

Forester

• Zone 4 Russia
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: August 22, 2019, 06:11:01 AM »
Opuntia macrocentra  "Purple Prickly Pear"
❀ Sergey ❀

Forester

• Zone 4 Russia
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: September 05, 2019, 01:17:42 AM »
Hi guys. This year I got a lot of fruit Kiwano Rund.  8)

❀ Sergey ❀

Forester

• Zone 4 Russia
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: October 05, 2019, 08:51:33 AM »
Red Corn Popcorn
❀ Sergey ❀

Forester

• Zone 4 Russia
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: October 06, 2019, 02:54:57 AM »

Naranjilla

❀ Sergey ❀

Forester

• Zone 4 Russia
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: October 09, 2019, 08:30:58 AM »
Kiwano Rund

❀ Sergey ❀

nighthawk0911@yahoo.com

• Blue lives matter.
    • SW Florida Zone 9B
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: October 09, 2019, 06:14:54 PM »
Hi, guys. I have a lot of fruit Passiflora brionioides. Does anyone know if it's okay to eat?

As with most new garden setups I find it best to take your time and not go "Russian" into anything...........sorry capitalist Americansky smart a$$ sense of humor at work. 

Good lucksky!!! 😊😊😊
Blessed be the man who plants a tree knowing he will never live to enjoy it's fruit or shade.

nighthawk0911@yahoo.com

• Blue lives matter.
    • SW Florida Zone 9B
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: October 09, 2019, 06:25:25 PM »

Rumor has it that are growing experimental dragon fruit the size of pumpkins in Chernobyl. 😊😊😊
Blessed be the man who plants a tree knowing he will never live to enjoy it's fruit or shade.

Forester

• Zone 4 Russia
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: October 10, 2019, 12:57:09 AM »

Rumor has it that are growing experimental dragon fruit the size of pumpkins in Chernobyl.
Chernobyl is Ukraine. You should go in for education and not write nonsense.  8)
I appreciate humor when appropriate. But in this case, your jokes look stupid and inappropriate. If you have nothing to say on the case, then better keep silent.
« Last Edit: October 10, 2019, 01:34:56 AM by Forester »
❀ Sergey ❀

nighthawk0911@yahoo.com

• Blue lives matter.
    • SW Florida Zone 9B
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: October 10, 2019, 03:47:24 AM »

Rumor has it that are growing experimental dragon fruit the size of pumpkins in Chernobyl.
Chernobyl is Ukraine. You should go in for education and not write nonsense.  8)
I appreciate humor when appropriate. But in this case, your jokes look stupid and inappropriate. If you have nothing to say on the case, then better keep silent.

Actually in 1986 when the reactor meltdown occurred Chernobyl was still part of the Russian USSR before the 1991 Communist collapse.  So don't nuke me bro.......Now you know why there are no famous Russian comedians. 

Forester

• Zone 4 Russia
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: October 12, 2019, 06:16:21 AM »
❀ Sergey ❀