Author Topic: San Diego garden photos  (Read 27172 times)

shaneatwell

• California, San Diego, sunset 23 and 18
    • View Profile
Re: San Diego garden photos
« Reply #100 on: July 28, 2018, 05:29:20 PM »
Great pictures Brad!
Shane

K-Rimes

• Santa Barbara
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: May 18, 2021, 04:13:00 PM »
Definitely time for some updates. Even a year or two ago when I rolled through the orchard was way more stuffed! Some side by side comparisons would be really cool. The cherimoya especially are mind blowingly bigger from 2018-2019 or 2020 whenever I came by last.

spaugh

• San Diego County California
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: May 19, 2021, 02:16:45 AM »
Everything is coming along nicely, trees are filling in. 

These are erdon lee grafts.  Its been 3 or 4 weeks and no action but they are still alive. 

Brad Spaugh

roblack

• Miami, FL 11A
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: May 19, 2021, 08:51:40 AM »
Beautfiul work Brad! Exciting to grow so many tasty and rare plants.

Keep us posted on erdon lee.

kingoceanos

• U.S.A. Texas,Conroe 77303 8B
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: May 19, 2021, 09:20:43 AM »
Wow! Nice

simon_grow

• USA, San Diego, CA, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #105 on: May 19, 2021, 02:35:37 PM »
We need more pictures of your chickens! The Sweet Tart seedling is looking good, we need to plant more of those. I’ll try to get more seeds from our friends in Florida. Awesome updates as usual. I’m stoked you planted more Watermelons, hopefully you did more Orangeglo!

Simon

John B

• View Profile
« Reply #106 on: May 19, 2021, 06:30:54 PM »
Your place looks better in person. What is amazing is the attention to details you have in your garden and your ambition.

BTW, I did text my friend for mulch but he never called back. We'll see if he remembers if he has a job in Poway.

CherimoyaDude

• San Francisco / Santa Barbara
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: May 20, 2021, 05:06:32 PM »
What do you do for water? Do you have a well?

spaugh

• View Profile
« Reply #108 on: May 20, 2021, 05:15:22 PM »
i have a couple rain barrels. 
Brad Spaugh

CherimoyaDude

• San Francisco / Santa Barbara
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: May 20, 2021, 10:36:55 PM »
Wow and that is enough?

Mark in Texas

• Fredericksburg Texas, (central TX), zone 8a
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: May 22, 2021, 04:14:45 PM »
You can tell a pro from a noob. 

Looking great, as usual.

Sirris

« Reply #111 on: May 24, 2021, 08:02:15 PM »
Amazing picture. Love creating a garden that my grandkids play in every time they come. Their parents are not very happy every time they see them in dirty clothes and full of dirt on their hands. I love reminding my daughter of her young years and how she used to get the garden hose and make a mess in the yard. Nowadays, we also have a that it's even safer than the ones we had in the past. The kids are getting thirsty on the hot days on their summer visits and as much as we would like to avoid it, they still drink water from the hose.

My grandson tends to drink out of it. That's a great suggestion.
« Last Edit: October 21, 2021, 08:39:09 AM by JakeFruit »

spaugh

• View Profile
« Reply #112 on: May 24, 2021, 09:27:07 PM »
Can the mods delete these spam bot trolls?  They are trying to spam us with clean drinking hose ads.  These people are not real.

This person Sirris spam bot has only 1 other post with some spam link in it. 
« Last Edit: May 24, 2021, 09:28:46 PM by spaugh »
Brad Spaugh

INaba

• West Florida coast, zone 10A
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: May 24, 2021, 11:25:41 PM »
Brad, amazing peace of land and amazing work you did on it. Thanks for posting new pictures. Great to see everything in progress and how much work involved.
Specially love your avocados. So different varieties. They are awesome. Your bananas as well
Great pleasure to see what  people like you can do from pile of rocks and clay soil. Thanks again.

sapote

• USA, CA, Burbank, 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: May 26, 2021, 05:43:16 PM »
"florida grafted mangos planted over winter."

I can't believe Simon allowed you to do this :) Why planting Florida root stocks?

simon_grow

• View Profile
« Reply #115 on: May 26, 2021, 06:20:30 PM »
Haha Sapote, Brad meant Seedling trees from seeds obtained by friends in Florida. We have noticed that the seedling trees perform well at Brad’s place. I can’t wait for some of these seedling trees to start production.

Simon

spaugh

• View Profile
« Reply #116 on: May 26, 2021, 06:52:45 PM »
I have a few grafted trees on turpentine rootstocks mail ordered from FL.  One that is doing well is Taralay, it doesnt get so droopy.  The seedlings do well but many have gotten droopy now also since they bloomed.  Mangos are a pain to grow in CA.  Many of them exhibit bad growth habits especially when doing huge heavy blooms over our long winter and tend to droop and become sickly.  Panicles and fruit need to be remove to relieve the trees.  Certain cultivars need to be top worked with better performing types.  Ive had a lot of complete failures with la Verne manilla rootstocks top worked with various mango types.  To be honest I think rootstock isn't horribly important, some varieties are just more well suited to CA then others.   Thats just my observation from all the trees Simon and I planted here. 
Brad Spaugh

sapote

• USA, CA, Burbank, 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: May 26, 2021, 07:11:56 PM »
Did you wait until the seedling had flowers or fruits before grafting? If not it will slow down the growth as it is trying to make flowers. Most of my seedlings started to have flowers/fruits at 3 years old.

spaugh

• View Profile
« Reply #118 on: May 26, 2021, 07:34:59 PM »
We have all kinds of mangos planted here.  Lots of seedling trees not grafted, some grafted trees from nurseries, some trees we grafted onto various rootstocks.  Yes they flower after 3 years thats true.  Doesnt take long.  We are both well aware of the flowering slowing down grafted trees.  The problem with letting your tree get large and then grafting is that it becomes more difficult to top work.  More grafts or bigger cuts are required.  Theres tradeoffs with everything.

Right now the best strategy here seems to be grow seedlings of good genetic lineage and hope they make decent fruit.  And if not then start top working them.  I haven't gotten to the point of changing varieties on any of the good genetic seedlings yet.  We have top worked a few manilla trees.  Maybe in a year or 2 we will know more about the fruit on some of the seedling trees.  Some of the store bought grafted trees have such bad growth pattern, I've started top working them and consolidating varieties down to ones that grow well and have good tasting fruit. 

In the future we may run into the issue of the ones that grow well, dont fruit well...  Or some other unforeseen issues.  It will be many many more years before I get the mangos trees where I want them here.  Its an ongoing project and its not an easy task. 

Frankly I would suggest most people in CA to grow stone fruits or cherimoyas instead of mangos.  Yeah it can be done but its not easy. 
Brad Spaugh

Gone tropo

• Durian obsessed
    • Nth Qld Australia, zone 13a
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: May 26, 2021, 09:12:17 PM »
This is quite unbelievable spaugh, I live on the other side of the world to you and your place looks like another planet to me maybe a moonscape or what mars might look like!!!!!  Im extremely curious about your climate it looks like a desert to me yet you grow amazing trees. Obviously everything is heavily irrigated, What is your annual rainfall there? Do you get freezing temperatures in winter? What are your average annual temperatures? What type of soil do you have in that sort of environment ?

Where Im from we average 3000mm of rain a year (118inches) so you can imagine it looks quite different here.  Ive never seen your type of land anywhere ive been in Australia like that.

SHV

• Escondido, CA
    • View Profile
« Reply #120 on: May 26, 2021, 09:58:28 PM »
I live in a near identical microclimate as Brad and completely agree with his suggestion that Cherimoya is the way to go.  It has very little disease or pest pressure out here and grows like a damn weed once planted.  If you take just a little time to pollinate the flowers, you will have more moya than you can eat from one tree.  Personally, the moyas are too sweet for me and I can only consume several per year before my teeth hurt.  Stone fruit on the other hand, I can eat until I get sick.  They too have their environmental pressures.  Between wood boring beetle, leaf curl, aphids, gophers, birds, and fruit thinning, they do require some work for a decent crop and a healthy tree. 
Growing mango is definitely possible, but has been the luck of the draw for me.  I've planted over 150 seedlings from various varieties along with store bought Kent and Ataulfo mango seeds.  Some do great while others never take off, both mono and polyembryonic seedlings.  Its really a numbers game.   Some varieties seem to do well on Florida rootstock (Lemon Zest, Valencia Pride, Sweet Tart, Alphonso) in my yard, but they don't come close to the vigor and fruit retention from a good seedling that's been top worked at maturity.  Regarding the lanky growth, I think that could be resolved through strategic pruning, but I dont have the time for that.  I just let mine grow wild and let them look like crap. 

spaugh

• View Profile
« Reply #121 on: May 26, 2021, 10:23:58 PM »
This is quite unbelievable spaugh, I live on the other side of the world to you and your place looks like another planet to me maybe a moonscape or what mars might look like!!!!!  Im extremely curious about your climate it looks like a desert to me yet you grow amazing trees. Obviously everything is heavily irrigated, What is your annual rainfall there? Do you get freezing temperatures in winter? What are your average annual temperatures? What type of soil do you have in that sort of environment ?

Where Im from we average 3000mm of rain a year (118inches) so you can imagine it looks quite different here.  Ive never seen your type of land anywhere ive been in Australia like that.
yeah its hot and dry here.  Not quite a desert but almost.  It barely ever rains and it never freezes.  At the bottom of the hill is might get light frost a few nights per year.  Theres rattlesnakes, scorpions, coyotes, deer, rabbits, hawks, mice, bobcats, mountain lions, squirrels, gophers,...  oh yeah and violent wildfires..  Why do I even live here?  I guess if they come for my water there will be nothing left to stick around for.  The soil is good though its sandy decomposing granite.  Plants like it. 
Brad Spaugh

JoeP450

• Mahaha Chinook
    • Palm City FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: June 28, 2021, 11:33:06 AM »
Hey Brad,

Just checking in, how are the erdon lee grafts doing?!?!

-joe

roblack

• Miami, FL 11A
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: June 28, 2021, 12:29:36 PM »
Be careful Brad, they may actually send you to Mars to cultivate the barren wasteland. Move over Matt Damon and your crappy potatoes! 

spaugh

• View Profile
« Reply #124 on: June 28, 2021, 12:59:04 PM »
I also love my garden. This is my only occupation in retirement. I grow everything myself and love flowers, trees, berries. I want to write a book about growing a garden, improving the soil, etc. This is very useful knowledge that the modern generation doesn't know. Grandchildren don't even know how to dig with a shovel. In my youth, I read all the books about gardening that could be found in stores. And now these books are on the Internet for free. But my grandchildren help me take photos of my garden and taught me how to process them using the background eraser tool online.

this person is another fake spam bot. 
Brad Spaugh