Author Topic: Looking for Black persimmons Huk Kam or Kuro Kaki(Not black Sapote)  (Read 4974 times)

CarolinaZone

• USA,NC,7B
    • View Profile
Hello,
 If anybody has a source for these I would appreciate it. Unfortunately the owner of the place I was supposed to get some from passed away this year.
Thanks

Sam B

• USA, Atlanta, ga, 7b-8a
    • View Profile
Re: Looking for Black persimmons Huk Kam or Kuro Kaki(Not black Sapote)
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2020, 12:33:16 AM »
I'd also like to know a source if anyone has it! Thanks

Sarah

• New zealand
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2020, 04:13:38 PM »
Me too, any leads yet?

CarolinaZone

• USA,NC,7B
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2020, 06:04:49 PM »
the only guy I know of passed away. There is a supplier in France but he never sent me a reply

Sarah

• New zealand
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2020, 02:03:56 AM »
The one I’m looking for is the Tsuru Noro. Keen if anyone would know a contact for seed?

RollingInTheWeeds

• USA, CA., South Bay area of Los Angeles, USDA 10b, Sunset 24
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2020, 10:35:27 PM »
The one I’m looking for is the Tsuru Noro. Keen if anyone would know a contact for seed?

I don't know anyone who has seeds from Tsuru Noko persimmons.  My tree is still a few years away from producing fruit.  About 20 years ago there was a man in New Zeland named John Prince who grew subtropical plants there.  His company was called Nestlebrae Exotics.  If you can locate him, he may be of help to you in NZ.

Outside of NZ, I have a bit of (perhaps discouraging) information for you, but it might be helpful.  In Australia, a "Chocolate persimmon" is not a Tsuru Noko; it's an entirely different plant than the one in the United States.  In the USA, the Japanese variety Tsuru Noko is often marketed as a "Chocolate" persimmon.

But here's the catch: the name "Chocolate" is not used consistently, so beware.  At farmers' markets in California, where a variety of persimmons may be found, I've noticed that the farmers call *any* variety of persimmon that turns brown inside when it's ripe a "chocolate" persimmon.  And a lot of them do not know what the real name of the variety is that they're growing. 
Forgive me if you already know this, but one thing to look for is that the Tsuru Noko (or Tsurunoko, or Tsuru No Ko) is a relatively small fruit that's more slender than most Asian persimmons; also, the flower end of the fruit comes to a point.  From the side it looks a little like a very large, orange acorn. 

Again, in the USA: L. E. Cooke stopped selling trees a couple of years ago.  But here's a flyer about the Tsuru Noko that's still available on their web site: https://www.lecooke.com/Images/Fruits_&_Nuts/Persimmon/Chocolate-Persimmon(RGB).pdf  .  Hope all this helps a little in your search.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2020, 10:55:16 PM by RollingInTheWeeds »

Gotamas

• Sand Hills of Carolina, Zone 8a
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2020, 09:16:24 PM »
I would be interested in some cuttings :)

Sarah

• New zealand
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2020, 01:38:51 PM »
thanks, I know John, unfortunately he doesn’t have this one.

mangolover143

• South Africa, Gauteng, Pretoria, 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2021, 11:49:24 AM »
Hi everyone,

In 2018, Huk Kam (Korean black-skinned persimmon) and Kurokaki (Japanese black-skinned Asian persimmon) were listed in the 28-page PDF catalog in England's Orchard & Nursery, McKee, KY selling as scions. I have no idea if they still have these scions for sale ATM.

You can try to contact Cliff of the aforesaid nursery @nuttrees@prtcnet.org if they are still available. Good luck.

Paul

mangolover143

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 06, 2021, 12:56:20 PM »
Hi forum friends,

Currently, Tsurunoko aka Chocolate persimmon scions (https://fruitwoodnursery.com/persimmon-scionwood-diospyros-kaki) are available at Fruitwood Nursery at Orleans, CA @$3.50. You can contact Corina and Marc at corrinaandmarc@fruitwoodnursery.com for further info.

Paul

CarolinaZone

• USA,NC,7B
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 06, 2021, 01:19:28 PM »
Hi everyone,

In 2018, Huk Kam (Korean black-skinned persimmon) and Kurokaki (Japanese black-skinned Asian persimmon) were listed in the 28-page PDF catalog in England's Orchard & Nursery, McKee, KY selling as scions. I have no idea if they still have these scions for sale ATM.

You can try to contact Cliff of the aforesaid nursery @nuttrees@prtcnet.org if they are still available. Good luck.

Paul

Cliff passed away last year. His daughter is running the farm. As far as I know they are not available. She is supposed to contact me if they decide to continue doing business.

mangolover143

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 06, 2021, 02:13:19 PM »
What a bad news that Cliff has gone. He was so kind and helpful when he emailed me the 28-page PDF catalog and layout of his trees inside the orchard. The precise list is not found in the orchard's website.

I sincerely hope that his daughter has a drive to move on and takes the rein of the orchard to a new horizon.

Paul

quinoah

• europe
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 28, 2021, 03:27:12 AM »
cliff did not passed away last year, he's alive  :)

CarolinaZone

• USA,NC,7B
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 15, 2021, 08:27:59 PM »
Late reply I know. If it is a lie then someone claiming to be his daughter told it. She called me to tell me that they wouldn't be able to send me  the plants I was looking for.  If he's alive: praise God and I apologize for misinforming anyone. I will be calling Monday to verify.

nexxogen

• Bar, Montenegro
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 24, 2021, 01:33:55 AM »
Did you verify?

CarolinaZone

• USA,NC,7B
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 26, 2021, 03:01:39 PM »
Man......I royally screwed up. It was Mr Brittain from Nolin that passed away. Cliff is alive and kicking. I have to man up and take my lumps. I apologized to him and I apologize to all of you as well.

Well, he said they got some huk kam wood but it was in not good condition. He will contact me if he gets some grafted up.

Giannhs

• 9b zone
    • View Profile
    • friendly group
« Reply #16 on: May 30, 2021, 11:54:52 AM »
the only guy I know of passed away. There is a supplier in France but he never sent me a reply

Who is that supplier in France? Some address for them? Probably they do not send to America, but maybe to Europe...

CarolinaZone

• USA,NC,7B
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 30, 2021, 05:02:56 PM »
It's been a long time and I don't remember the website but I am sure if you search you will find it. I believe the place was in Belgium or France.

mangolover143

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 07, 2021, 07:28:25 AM »
Hi Giannhs,

Maybe this is the French nursery you are looking for that carries a comprehensive range of fruit trees:

La Pépinière du Bosc,
Route de Lodève,
34700 Saint Privat

Email: contact@pepinieredubosc.fr

Unfortunately the nursery does not ship outside EU and they ignored any enquiry outside EU. The nursery got a good number of persimmon cultivars but they don't have the black kaki persimmon. Their catalogue has beautiful photos but narrated in French.

Paul

AlexBr8

• Como
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 30, 2022, 02:29:29 PM »
Io sono riuscito a prendere un kuro gaki 2 anni fa.. pianta piccolissima.. quest'anno dovrebbe farmi i primi frutti :)

CarolinaZone

• USA,NC,7B
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 02, 2022, 04:03:31 PM »
I just bought the Raven persimmon from OneGreenWorld. We'll see if it is b.s. in about 4 years ;D

Rispa

• Houston, TX
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 02, 2022, 06:58:09 PM »

I don't know anyone who has seeds from Tsuru Noko persimmons.  My tree is still a few years away from producing fruit.  About 20 years ago there was a man in New Zeland named John Prince who grew subtropical plants there.  His company was called Nestlebrae Exotics.  If you can locate him, he may be of help to you in NZ.

Outside of NZ, I have a bit of (perhaps discouraging) information for you, but it might be helpful.  In Australia, a "Chocolate persimmon" is not a Tsuru Noko; it's an entirely different plant than the one in the United States.  In the USA, the Japanese variety Tsuru Noko is often marketed as a "Chocolate" persimmon.

But here's the catch: the name "Chocolate" is not used consistently, so beware.  At farmers' markets in California, where a variety of persimmons may be found, I've noticed that the farmers call *any* variety of persimmon that turns brown inside when it's ripe a "chocolate" persimmon.  And a lot of them do not know what the real name of the variety is that they're growing. 
Forgive me if you already know this, but one thing to look for is that the Tsuru Noko (or Tsurunoko, or Tsuru No Ko) is a relatively small fruit that's more slender than most Asian persimmons; also, the flower end of the fruit comes to a point.  From the side it looks a little like a very large, orange acorn. 

Again, in the USA: L. E. Cooke stopped selling trees a couple of years ago.  But here's a flyer about the Tsuru Noko that's still available on their web site: https://www.lecooke.com/Images/Fruits_&_Nuts/Persimmon/Chocolate-Persimmon(RGB).pdf  .  Hope all this helps a little in your search.

Has your tree produced fruit?