Author Topic: Luc's Mexican Garcinia growing experiences around the world  (Read 170756 times)

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
Re: Luc's Mexican Garcinia growing experiences around the world
« Reply #650 on: March 02, 2021, 05:33:56 PM »
After hundreds, if not over a thousand flowers, on 3 different seedlings and 1 grafted tree, all flowers have dropped with no fruit set. There are still a few straggler flowers hanging that bloomed later, maybe 10 in total, but they are not getting any bigger and I expect them to drop. The vast majority of flowers presented as female but there were 30 - 40 that presented as male flowers. I hand pollenated and there were plenty of bees working the trees for nearly a month. These trees are 8 years old and have fruited in the past when I hand pollenated using pollen from a male tree grown by a friend.
I had trees flower like that 3 years in a row before i finally got some fruit set. I didn't hand pollinate.
Oscar

Mike T

• Zone 12a
  • Cairns,Nth Qld, Australia
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #651 on: April 05, 2021, 06:54:28 AM »
My J33 jackfruit fell down as a cyclone brushed past an probably won't make it. A friend helped me chop down my giant siam starfruit also and I was looking for other volunteers for mulch patrol as some trees need to be cut from the team to make room for new additions. My big Luc's garcinia has been skating on thin ice for a long time and has had a few reprieves from death row. After seeing my 2 younger smaller ones burst into flower once again for an off season flowering, its fate was sealed. Suddenly this ass dragging 12 ft tree has burst into bloom a day or two before it was going to be chopped after 8 years. Nostradamus would be proud of this tree and I am glad I hung on a nit longer.

cbss_daviefl

• USA, Southwest Ranches,FL 33331, 10B
    • View Profile
    • bfgtropicals.com
« Reply #652 on: April 05, 2021, 08:34:10 PM »
Trees in South Florida are blooming again. The buds started appearing over a month ago and the flowers started opening on 4/1. This time, I am calling in reinforcements. I acquired flowers from a friend's male tree and will be going back for more.  The current bloom is a little lighter than the previous bloom but there will still be hundreds of flowers.
Brandon

Raulglezruiz

• Puerto Vallarta,Mexico. Lat 21.5 Semi Tropical
    • View Profile
« Reply #653 on: April 06, 2021, 12:05:13 AM »
My J33 jackfruit fell down as a cyclone brushed past an probably won't make it. A friend helped me chop down my giant siam starfruit also and I was looking for other volunteers for mulch patrol as some trees need to be cut from the team to make room for new additions. My big Luc's garcinia has been skating on thin ice for a long time and has had a few reprieves from death row. After seeing my 2 younger smaller ones burst into flower once again for an off season flowering, its fate was sealed. Suddenly this ass dragging 12 ft tree has burst into bloom a day or two before it was going to be chopped after 8 years. Nostradamus would be proud of this tree and I am glad I hung on a nit longer.
🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣
El verde es vida!

Mike T

• Zone 12a
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #654 on: April 06, 2021, 06:42:46 AM »
Raul you knew my trees when they were jus seeds and I would not thoughtlessly take to one with an axe. The defiant one has now been broken in so all is good.

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #655 on: April 11, 2021, 02:28:36 PM »
Seems like when you give up all hope is when they flower and fruit?
Oscar

wonderfruit

• US, Florida, Fort Lauderdale, 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #656 on: April 11, 2021, 08:59:04 PM »
I agree with that statement. It seems that the tree is waiting for our hopelessness.
Nam Myoho Renge Kyo

FlyingFoxFruits

• Prince of Plinia
  • www.FlyingFoxFruits.com
    • USA, FEMA Region IV, FL Zone 9a
    • View Profile
    • Flying Fox Fruits
« Reply #657 on: April 14, 2021, 05:08:00 PM »

www.FlyingFoxFruits.com

www.PLINIAS.com

https://www.ebay.com/usr/flyingfoxfruits

www.youtube.com/FlyingFoxFruits

https://www.instagram.com/flyingfoxfruits/
I disabled the forum's personal messaging system, please send an email to contact me, FlyingFoxFruits@gmail.com

cbss_daviefl

• View Profile
    • bfgtropicals.com
« Reply #658 on: April 14, 2021, 08:24:02 PM »
From 3 months ago. This is not going to get any bigger and will abort. Normally they abort in a month but sometimes two. At three months, this is a record holder for my yard.

Hand pollinated a week ago. With good pollination, they grow quick.

Brandon

Mike T

• Zone 12a
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #659 on: April 15, 2021, 07:49:33 AM »
I looked at the flowers on my 3 that are festooned with flowers right now.The two younger smaller 9 footers have flowered many times and only produce a few fruit not much bigger than achacha at the biggest. At this moment both of these trees have 96% male flowers and only a few fruit set. My big 13 foot tree has flowered for the first time now and all flowers so far are male although only a small proportion have opened.

cbss_daviefl

• View Profile
    • bfgtropicals.com
« Reply #660 on: April 15, 2021, 08:10:44 AM »
Fruits on male trees are runts. That sucks that you got all males.  Time to top work two to female. Here is a pic of my fruit from last year.

I looked at the flowers on my 3 that are festooned with flowers right now.The two younger smaller 9 footers have flowered many times and only produce a few fruit not much bigger than achacha at the biggest. At this moment both of these trees have 96% male flowers and only a few fruit set. My big 13 foot tree has flowered for the first time now and all flowers so far are male although only a small proportion have opened.
Brandon

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #661 on: April 16, 2021, 05:21:28 AM »
My experience here is that the bigger trees are males. The smallest tree fruited first.
Oscar

Jose Spain

• Marbella, Spain. Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #662 on: April 16, 2021, 04:00:56 PM »
My experience here is that the bigger trees are males. The smallest tree fruited first.

If I understood right, male trees would make good rootstocks for female scions from Raul then?

cbss_daviefl

• View Profile
    • bfgtropicals.com
« Reply #663 on: April 16, 2021, 04:33:51 PM »
In my small sampling, I kept the 5 fastest growing seedlings of the 30 seeds I planted and they all are female. I grafted male scions to larger potted seedlings to see if a larger rootstock(7gal, 3+ft tall) will work better than the slow growing previous grafts that I have done on smaller rootstocks (3gal 1.5 ft tall). Previous attempts were scions sent from Mexico and may not have been from vertical branches, which may be important for garcinias.

If I understood right, male trees would make good rootstocks for female scions from Raul then?
Brandon

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #664 on: April 16, 2021, 05:11:51 PM »

Yes indeed!
Oscar

Sleepdoc

• Davie, Florida Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #665 on: April 17, 2021, 12:24:39 PM »

These Luc’s are on a female tree I got from Brandon.  I hand pollinated them with pollen from my big male tree, with a high % of take.  These are way,way bigger than the little occasional runt my male tree puts out.  At least I have a pollen factory of a male in my yard to get things done.  Too bad they are planted about 250 feet apart 😳

Sleepdoc

• Davie, Florida Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #666 on: April 17, 2021, 12:35:47 PM »
This is my male tree - must be 15 ft tall. 

6ft human for scale ...

cbss_daviefl

• View Profile
    • bfgtropicals.com
« Reply #667 on: May 03, 2021, 09:13:33 PM »
Pollen from Sleepdoc's tree gets the job done. The flowers on my tree started opening at the beginning of April. I got my first batch of pollen on 4/3. In a month's time, the biggest of the first set of fruits are the size of small achachairu.   These two pictures are from the first of my trees to flower. This tree flowers like crazy.  It is in full sun.

This is from my second tree, just a few feet away from the first in full sun.

This is from a tree that I planted on the north side of a big keitt mango tree. To the east and directly over, there is a coconut palm. The west side is open so the tree gets full sun in the afternoon from April until maybe November. This tree is the biggest.

This is from a grafted tree that was grafted 8 or 9 years ago but is less than 4 ft tall. Maybe Jumbo.

Brandon

cbss_daviefl

• View Profile
    • bfgtropicals.com
« Reply #668 on: August 21, 2021, 03:52:08 PM »
I harvested a six pack of Luc's today. These are small to medium sized fruits that dropped. I weighed them before and after. There is approximately 47% edible flesh by weight on this batch. Two of my trees produce fruit with one or two seeds per fruit and I have another tree that usually has 3 seeds per fruit. The last picture shows Luc's in various size, small to extra large, all from the same tree. The green fruits that are soft and drop are more sour than a yellow/orange fruit but still enjoyable and less sour that many other garcinias such as lemon drop and imbe.

Brandon

TnTrobbie

• runs with pruners
  • ZonePusher has a spot for that.
    • 10b + 9b FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #669 on: July 31, 2023, 05:49:43 PM »
(mis-identified)
« Last Edit: August 01, 2023, 06:54:49 PM by TnTrobbie »
The Earth laughs in flowers. And bear gifts through fruits.
No where to plant it ...but at least I got it. ;)
F*ck squirrels and deers

fishie

• USA, CA, Diamond Bar
    • View Profile
« Reply #670 on: August 01, 2023, 03:41:17 PM »
Stumbled upon this in my nursery area. One one my Luc's holding fruit in a 1/3 soil filled 3gal pot. The tree must be about 4 ft tall. Is it a 'runt' fruit (male)?

Wow that’s amazing. How old would you say that is? I assume it’s a seedling as well?
- Lucas

TnTrobbie

• runs with pruners
  • ZonePusher has a spot for that.
    • 10b + 9b FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #671 on: August 01, 2023, 06:54:12 PM »
I investigated further today and found the tag in the pot. 'G. MD'. I think it's 'madruno.'
The Earth laughs in flowers. And bear gifts through fruits.
No where to plant it ...but at least I got it. ;)
F*ck squirrels and deers

Orkine

• Jupiter, FL, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #672 on: December 26, 2023, 04:48:00 PM »
I have a small Lucs in the ground 4 years or so.  It is just below 3 feet tall and is holding its first fruit.

It is a small tree (old, enough to hold fruit, but really small)  and I am surprised it is flowering and holding fruit.  I have others, that are larger and planted about the same time but not doing much right now.

I will post a picture later. 

I measured and it is a tad over 3 feet, about 37 inches.
It has some flowers and also the one fruit.

« Last Edit: December 27, 2023, 05:30:09 PM by Orkine »

Raulglezruiz

• Puerto Vallarta,Mexico. Lat 21.5 Semi Tropical
    • View Profile
« Reply #673 on: December 27, 2023, 04:50:11 PM »
I have a small Lucs in the ground 4 years or so.  It is just below 3 feet tall and is holding its first fruit.

It is a small tree (old, enough to hold fruit, but really small)  and I am surprised it is flowering and holding fruit.  I have others, that are larger and planted about the same time but not doing much right now.

nice, sometimes they can start flowering just at a meter tall, I remember one in Luc's house flowered like crazy, I guess yours is a seedling?
El verde es vida!

Orkine

• Jupiter, FL, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #674 on: December 27, 2023, 05:32:40 PM »

nice, sometimes they can start flowering just at a meter tall, I remember one in Luc's house flowered like crazy, I guess yours is a seedling?
Could be, I just posted a couple of photographs.