Author Topic: LaVerne's Vietnamese Cherimoya Info  (Read 20174 times)

Californiatropicals

• Vallejo, Ca Zone 9B-10A (CA sunset zone 17)
    • View Profile
LaVerne's Vietnamese Cherimoya Info
« on: November 13, 2013, 03:07:06 AM »
Hey everyone!

I got a vietnamese cherimoya from laverne nursery. Despite looking on this forum and the internet, I can't find much info about it.  Does anyone grow this variety and if so could you please provide some info about it?

I also got a honeyhart cherimoya! I'm excited about that as well

Thanks in advance!

johnb51

• USA Deerfield Beach, FL Zone 11a
    • View Profile
Re: LaVerne's Vietnamese Cherimoya Info
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2013, 03:30:39 PM »
Hey everyone!

I got a vietnamese cherimoya from laverne nursery. Despite looking on this forum and the internet, I can't find much info about it.  Does anyone grow this variety and if so could you please provide some info about it?

I also got a honeyhart cherimoya! I'm excited about that as well

Thanks in advance!

Strange that even La Verne Nursery doesn't have information on it, and they sell it!
John

simon_grow

• USA, San Diego, CA, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2013, 03:52:16 PM »
A friend gave me some fruit from what he called Vietnamese Cherimoya, not sure if he planted seeds or if that is what it was called when he purchased his plant. The fruit was large, most averaged 1-1.5 pounds and the fruit was conical, very symmetrical with light green skin. The skin was mostly smooth with some fruit with very small bumps on the skin. For those of you that live in San Diego, the fruit looks and taste identical to the fruit sold at Lucky Seafood. The flesh is white and sweet with good acid balance. To me, the fruit taste very similar to "Dr White" cherimoya.

This could be a totally different fruit though. There is a large Vietnamese community here in San Diego and many people grow Cherimoya here.
Simon

Californiatropicals

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2013, 11:06:17 PM »
John, I completely agree! The tag has no information whatsoever on it.  Just directions on how to plant it.

Simon,

You're the second source online that I've seen compare vietnamese to "white" cherimoya

"The 'Vietnamese' cherimoya from La Verne has a definite cherimoya leaf structure.

From what I know about La Verne and the way they do marketing, and from the fruit description given to me and that the source is from a grower in Carpinteria, I have a hunch their 'Vietnamese' cherimoya is really the 'White' variety" -- this info was found on cloudforest

PltdWorld

• San Diego, CA 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2013, 10:57:40 AM »
Lowe's in Mission Valley had a Honeyhart and a "Vietnamese" cherimoya yesterday.  Price was reasonable ($22 I think).

They also had a couple grafted mangos for $49, including Haden and Timotayo.

Californiatropicals

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2013, 01:16:47 PM »
Lowe's in Mission Valley had a Honeyhart and a "Vietnamese" cherimoya yesterday.  Price was reasonable ($22 I think).

They also had a couple grafted mangos for $49, including Haden and Timotayo.

funny you should mention that. My local lowes here in northern california has the same inventory! the cherimoya are 34 and the mangoes 50. i bought honeyhart cause i've tried the fruit and its phenomenal! I also bought vietnamese for the hell of it. lol.

PltdWorld

• San Diego, CA 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2013, 07:49:39 PM »
If nothing else, you could use the Vietnamese as rootstock - especially if it turns out to be Dr White ;)

Californiatropicals

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2013, 08:03:14 PM »
If nothing else, you could use the Vietnamese as rootstock - especially if it turns out to be Dr White ;)

Screw that! If Dr white is a bad cherimoya I will take this plant back to lowes.. lol 35 dollar rootstock my foot...  ;D I've got at least 20 seedling cherimoya that I intend to graft onto next spring. lol

PltdWorld

• San Diego, CA 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 14, 2013, 09:28:51 PM »

Screw that! If Dr white is a bad cherimoya I will take this plant back to lowes.. lol 35 dollar rootstock my foot...  ;D I've got at least 20 seedling cherimoya that I intend to graft onto next spring. lol

I haven't tasted Dr White, but all accounts I've read are that it was selected as a commercial cultivar in California for reasons other than taste (ie storage/shipping).  There are many excellent tasting Cherimoyas available, and many generous members on this forum who are happy to share scions.  I will have plenty of "Campas", which you are welcome to come pruning time.

That said, I have no idea whether or not La Verne's "Vietnamese" is Dr White.

Californiatropicals

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 14, 2013, 11:35:09 PM »

I haven't tasted Dr White, but all accounts I've read are that it was selected as a commercial cultivar in California for reasons other than taste (ie storage/shipping).  There are many excellent tasting Cherimoyas available, and many generous members on this forum who are happy to share scions.  I will have plenty of "Campas", which you are welcome to come pruning time.

That said, I have no idea whether or not La Verne's "Vietnamese" is Dr White.

I think vietnamese may be white. I read that Dr. White was fiborous and I've read vietnamese was like a mix of soursop and cherimoya... possibly because it's fiborous? lol

There are a lot of generous folks on here.  I am getting the hang of grafting cherimoya. Some generous person sent me a handful of scions early this year. However my mistake was leaving parafilm on the graft union too long! The result was rotting on the graft union.. The grafts i removed the parafilm from a week or two after grafting took! Not sure if this common, but seems to be my experience.

Question, what is campas cherimoya?  I harvested my first cherimoya earlier this month, it was delicious! The variety was supposed to be "chaffey" but I don't know for certain because it was from laverne.

Here's a pic of it

johnb51

• USA Deerfield Beach, FL Zone 11a
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 15, 2013, 12:06:38 AM »
Dude, you are making me jealous with that big-ass cherimoya!
John

Californiatropicals

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 15, 2013, 12:10:10 AM »
Dude, you are making me jealous with that big-ass cherimoya!

Lol! My bad,  It was tasty. Though a little gritty near the skin!  This fruit came from a tree that's in a  20 inch pot.  Gotta find a place for it soon, though.

mangomanic12

• Phoenix, AZ
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 15, 2013, 10:59:27 AM »
Beautiful fruit California Tropicals . You are so lucky to be able to grow them there. I think along with a great Persimmon  a Cherimoya is right up there with my favorite fruit - the mango.
Enjoy and get that plant into the ground already man. I'll buy some fruits from you in the future , lol.
I'm in phoenix.. too hot for Cherimoya. >:(

Ethan

• Central California Z9/9
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 15, 2013, 11:21:24 AM »
Personally, I think Dr. White tastes good and supposedly it is one of the more cold hardy varieties, keep it and graft more on. :)

Tim

• Global Moderator
    • USA, Escondido, CA 92027, zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 15, 2013, 12:01:44 PM »
I agree, it's a fugly looking fruit at times but don't let that fool you

Personally, I think Dr. White tastes good and supposedly it is one of the more cold hardy varieties, keep it and graft more on. :)
Tim

simon_grow

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 15, 2013, 01:27:30 PM »
Dr White is one of my favorites as well. I love the juiciness, sweetness, great acidity and large size. It was not fibrous at all. The tree is a little leggy and can get very large.
Simon

Californiatropicals

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 15, 2013, 03:13:18 PM »
Thank you all for all your advice!  I'll keep it for sure now!  I read somewhere before that that Dr. White is vigorous variety, so even if it is a white cherimoya that could be a useful trait. Plus I'll probably like the fruit.. I'm not too picky

Just in case there was some confusion  (because i didn't really make it clear) the pictured fruit is actually "chaffey"  it was pretty large, definitely over a pound.. maybe even close to two.  Now just time to wait for the other's to ripen.

As for sharing fruit, If future years prove to be like this one and these young trees more productive  as they get more mature, I'll have more than enough fruit!

simon_grow

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 15, 2014, 09:27:15 PM »
Hey CaliforniaTropicals, did your Vietnamese Cherimoya fruit for you this year? There is a variety of Cherimoya that they sell at the Vietnamese supermarkets around this time of year that is very good. It is one of the more acidic varieties I've tasted. They usually have them at LuckySeafood in Mira Mesa or the Vietnamese supermarket in Linda Vista. I'm wondering if your Vietnamese Cherimoya is the same variety? I would love some bud wood around March or April if you have any available. I've got dr white, El Bumpo, Behls, Selma, Booth, HoneyHart.

Simon

Californiatropicals

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 15, 2014, 09:32:39 PM »
Hey CaliforniaTropicals, did your Vietnamese Cherimoya fruit for you this year? There is a variety of Cherimoya that they sell at the Vietnamese supermarkets around this time of year that is very good. It is one of the more acidic varieties I've tasted. They usually have them at LuckySeafood in Mira Mesa or the Vietnamese supermarket in Linda Vista. I'm wondering if your Vietnamese Cherimoya is the same variety? I would love some bud wood around March or April if you have any available. I've got dr white, El Bumpo, Behls, Selma, Booth, HoneyHart.

Simon

Hey Simon!

It hasn't fruited yet, though it put on some lush beautiful new growth this year! I would love to trade budwood with you. I've been trying for a long time to locate el bumpo, but it hasn't come through yet. and i'd like to try behls too,

I should also have "best tall smooth", fino de jete, chaffey ( which has been really good for me)  and knight.  I might have more but off the top of my head this is what i can remember.

we will definitely trade.

simon_grow

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 15, 2014, 10:26:13 PM »
That' would be great! I'm also on the lookout for Pierce but I'm sure there are plenty of members on this forum that will have some scion available. I've got plenty of El Bumpo wood and I'm especially interested to see what your Vietnamese cherimoya looks like. I saw they were selling this. Vietnamese variety at 99 Ranch the other week. Here's a couple of pics of some Moyas I picked up at a Vietnamese Supermarket.

Californiatropicals

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 15, 2014, 11:20:09 PM »
That' would be great! I'm also on the lookout for Pierce but I'm sure there are plenty of members on this forum that will have some scion available. I've got plenty of El Bumpo wood and I'm especially interested to see what your Vietnamese cherimoya looks like. I saw they were selling this. Vietnamese variety at 99 Ranch the other week. Here's a couple of pics of some Moyas I picked up at a Vietnamese Supermarket.

Beautiful cherimoya! Mine are all still sizing up. I am excited for harvest.. lol Pierce is supposed to be a good variety. Someone sent me pierce before, but my graft failed. I have a large seedling cherimoya tree in ground that i plant on multigrafting!  I may even be able to provide you with some custard apple wood, though I don't know the quality of fruit yet because I grew it from a seed.

ClayMango

• MangoHunter
    • Zone 9B Ca
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 16, 2014, 12:49:39 AM »

El Bumpo, Chaffey, and Pierce are  must.... Vietnamese is a must return!
Thinking about joining a Fruitaholics anonymous support group...Fruit addiction has taken over my life!

tanguy

• USA,San Bernardino
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 16, 2014, 02:50:30 AM »
Hi CaliforniaTropicals,
Check out your local Home Depot. I visited my local HD yesterday (Redlands, CA), it carries many cherimoya trees now. There are 4 varieties there: honey hart, el bumps, chaffey, and Vietnamese. The price is $30. In 2015, they will have 2 other varieties from La Verne which are Fino de Jete and Knight.

Simon,
The fruits you got from a Vietnamese Supermarket look like the fruits selling at the Vietnamese Supermarkets in Orange County. Probably they are not Vietnamese Cherimoya. My brother is a manager of a supermarket in Graden Grove, he told me that all the cherimoya fruits selling at the markets are imported from Mexico.

simon_grow

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 16, 2014, 09:07:21 AM »
Hey Clay, have you tried the Vurtnamese variety somewhere before? What didn't you like about it?

Tanguy, thanks for the information. Whatever those varieties from some Vietnamese supermarkets are, they are excellent tasting. The ones from Lucky Seafood in Mira Mesa are top notch, they don't have any yet.
Simon

ClayMango

• MangoHunter
    • Zone 9B Ca
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 16, 2014, 10:49:55 AM »
Hey Clay, have you tried the Vurtnamese variety somewhere before? What didn't you like about it?

Tanguy, thanks for the information. Whatever those varieties from some Vietnamese supermarkets are, they are excellent tasting. The ones from Lucky Seafood in Mira Mesa are top notch, they don't have any yet.
Simon

Whites, Honey Hearts, Vietnamese....This is what they sell at most of the farmers markets out here in Temecula....I'm not to crazy about the sweet cherimoyas that lack acidity....these are  mainly just sweet....not my favorites....not really worth precious space in the yard when their are so many more better top tier Cherimoyas like:

EL Bumpo
Chaffey
Booth
Peirce
Sabor
Big Sister
Fino De Jete
Thinking about joining a Fruitaholics anonymous support group...Fruit addiction has taken over my life!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk