Author Topic: Does Tamarind (Tamarindus indica) grow in Florida or California ?  (Read 10647 times)

Delvi83

• Italy
    • View Profile
    • Il Gusto della Natura
I've never seen a Tamarind here in Italy, can it be grown in Florida or California?
As I know it likes arid conditions, so California could be better than Florida....does someone grow it? how does it grow? does it flower and fruit? When?

The Tamarind should resist to cold at least until 32° F, but even less for short periods !!

Thanks

:)

Jani

• Miramar, FL
    • View Profile
Re: Does Tamarind (Tamarindus indica) grow in Florida or California ?
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2015, 04:37:30 PM »
Yes Tamarind grows and fruits very easily in South Florida, I'm not sure about further north in Florida or in California.
always longing for a JA Julie

jegpg1

• Punta Gorda, FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2015, 04:48:49 PM »
I have one on each of my two homes, one is 8 ft tall and the other one is 3 ft tall, both are blooming right now. Both were seedlings labeled "sweet" but I haven't tasted any fruit yet. I know another person who has bigger tree that is fruiting well. Yes, tamarind does well here in SWFL.

Delvi83

• Italy
    • View Profile
    • Il Gusto della Natura
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2015, 05:03:20 PM »
Great...have you photos? It starts flowering at the end of the Summer in South Florida, or probably at the end of "Wet Season" ?? It should be interesting to know whet it flowers in hot mediterranea climate !!!
Thanks again

jegpg1

• Punta Gorda, FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2015, 05:14:43 PM »
Ok, this is the smaller tree, probably less than 4 foot tall.

« Last Edit: October 13, 2015, 05:25:03 PM by jegpg1 »

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2015, 05:24:04 PM »
Tamarind grows all over South Florida.  It has even used by developers as plantings.  Dont know why a comparison keeps being made from Italy and Florida...   ??? ::) ??? ::)
- Rob

SamiC

• Bel Air, CA 10b Elevation 1285ft
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2015, 05:31:14 PM »
Tamarind grows all over South Florida.  It has even used by developers as plantings.  Dont know why a comparison keeps being made from Italy and Florida...   ??? ::) ??? ::)

sometimes people look for a glimmer of false hope before they do something really stupid. God knows I'm guilty of it all the time. its like that little devil sitting on your shoulder telling you to do it, it worked in Florida.  ;D ;D ;D
Always looking for Mango budwood!!

Jackfruitwhisperer69

• Zone 11b
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2015, 05:38:33 PM »
Delvi, tamarind grows very well in Madeira, Portugal.

Flowering here starts early spring, and some times in Autumn.

Florida and California have completely different climates. Humid Subtropics vs Mediterranean type climate.   

California and Madeira have a very similar climate.
Time is like a river.
You cannot touch the same water twice, because the flow that has passed will never pass again.
Enjoy every moment of your life!

Bob407

• Isla de Bieke, PR 12b
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 13, 2015, 05:50:45 PM »
I had an in ground tamarindo in Orlando, Fl 9b. The seeds were from a tree in Big Pine Key. It flowered its third year in ground and took the cold like a champ. Thankfully, I was ignorant enough to try it.
Life is good

siafu

• 10a, Algarve, Portugal
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 13, 2015, 06:15:38 PM »
I've never seen a Tamarind here in Italy, can it be grown in Florida or California?
As I know it likes arid conditions, so California could be better than Florida....does someone grow it? how does it grow? does it flower and fruit? When?

The Tamarind should resist to cold at least until 32° F, but even less for short periods !!

Thanks

:)

In Southern Portugal, tamarind grows slowly. It blooms and  sets fruits, but the fruits rot during the winter when the plant goes dormant.
Sérgio Duarte
Algarve, Portugal

--Vale sempre a pena, quando a alma não é pequena!

Zafra

• tropical, around 2700ft elevation
    • View Profile
    • Casa Abya Yala
« Reply #10 on: October 13, 2015, 10:36:04 PM »
I had an in ground tamarindo in Orlando, Fl 9b. The seeds were from a tree in Big Pine Key. It flowered its third year in ground and took the cold like a champ. Thankfully, I was ignorant enough to try it.
Are you saying a seedling tree flowered after 3 years in the ground? I always thought tamarind took a decade to flower - how old was your tree including before it was planted out? I'm asking because I have 3 seedling trees and I'd love to see a flower on one of them before 10 years from now! :)

JF

• North OC California Zone 10B/America Tropical 13A
    • 90631/97000
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 13, 2015, 10:55:27 PM »
Yes they grow and fruit here. Here is a young seedling that's starting to flowering

LEOOEL

• USA, South Florida, Miami, Temperature Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 14, 2015, 12:12:17 AM »
I have a sweet tamarind tree that I planted about 6 years ago. Since that time, it's produced an amount of fruit that I could count with one hand.

This year though, or more exactly, right now, the tree is full of fruit and flowers, all at the same time. Which, I find very exciting. And, I hope that this fruit production will be a regular, yearly occurrence.

'Virtue' should be taught, learned and propagated, in order to save others and oneself.

Bob407

• Isla de Bieke, PR 12b
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 14, 2015, 02:24:19 AM »
Are you saying a seedling tree flowered after 3 years in the ground? I always thought tamarind took a decade to flower - how old was your tree including before it was planted out? I'm asking because I have 3 seedling trees and I'd love to see a flower on one of them before 10 years from now! :)

It must have been in a pot close to a year and was root bound when I put it in the ground. It flowered well and grew aggresively, the small fruits didn't hang on though.
Life is good

Delvi83

• Italy
    • View Profile
    • Il Gusto della Natura
« Reply #14 on: October 14, 2015, 08:55:29 AM »
Great photos....Yes I know the difference between Florida and California....

The Flowering could be induced by Wet condition ?? In Florida (after summer), in an hot mediterranea Climate (after winter) ?!

How much time does it take to ripe the fruits? (from flowering) ??

P.s.

In Madeira does it need irrigation? how many mm of rain do you have in one year?

JF

• 90631/97000
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 14, 2015, 11:43:10 AM »

The Flowering could be induced by Wet condition ?? In Florida (after summer), in an hot mediterranea Climate (after winter) ?!

P.s.

In Madeira does it need irrigation? how many mm of rain do you have in one year?

If you know the differences why do you keep comparing? Leave FL & CA out of your equations your comparisons are not valid.

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 14, 2015, 12:41:54 PM »

P.s.

If you know the differences why do you keep comparing? Leave FL & CA out of your equations your comparisons are not valid.

Like many on here, he doesnt read, listen, know or care.  You can lead the water to the horse but you can make it get out of the way...
- Rob

Delvi83

• Italy
    • View Profile
    • Il Gusto della Natura
« Reply #17 on: October 14, 2015, 02:48:36 PM »
Yes i missed the answer written before about the time it took for flowering.....(sorry for this, sorry to have repeat the question) !!

Obviously I don't know all....none knows everything, the topics are done also to share and understand from other people.....you know more than me about Tamarind or Jackfruit, may be I know something more than you about other things.
I'm here also to learn.....

I know that California has a mediterranea climate which means that summer is dry......differently Florida is wet during the Summer and the winter is warmer than CA.....

I was just comparing the flowering induction of a plant in two different climates....to understand which were the induction-elements....

I'm Italian, I'm not familiar with English as you are.....sometimes I can misunderstand something, but I'm here to learn, not to be criticized !!!

After this.....let's talk about Tamarind :)
« Last Edit: October 14, 2015, 03:01:52 PM by Delvi83 »

From the sea

• Big Island Hawaii
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 14, 2015, 03:04:31 PM »

where was the tree on Big Pine?

Bob407

• Isla de Bieke, PR 12b
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 14, 2015, 03:48:23 PM »

where was the tree on Big Pine?

The tree is located south of Big Pine Key Fish Camp along the shore where it bumps out and the turns south west ~30 to 40 feet from the shore and at the edge of one of the salt water ponds amongst various other feral fruit trees. It is a large tree that was blown over years ago but it is still producing well. It is easy to collect fruit from since it is laying sideways.
Life is good

JF

• 90631/97000
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 14, 2015, 04:15:12 PM »
Yes i missed the answer written before about the time it took for flowering.....(sorry for this, sorry to have repeat the question) !!

Obviously I don't know all....none knows everything, the topics are done also to share and understand from other people.....you know more than me about Tamarind or Jackfruit, may be I know something more than you about other things.
I'm here also to learn.....

I know that California has a mediterranea climate which means that summer is dry......differently Florida is wet during the Summer and the winter is warmer than CA.....

I was just comparing the flowering induction of a plant in two different climates....to understand which were the induction-elements....

I'm Italian, I'm not familiar with English as you are.....sometimes I can misunderstand something, but I'm here to learn, not to be criticized !!!

After this.....let's talk about Tamarind :)
No worries Paisan😀

Let me give you an example how similar and dissimilar Socal and South Florida are.

90F 54%  now in La Habra 1/4 precipitation this month
88F 62%!now in Miami 7.5 precipitation so far this month 

Delvi83

• Italy
    • View Profile
    • Il Gusto della Natura
« Reply #21 on: October 14, 2015, 04:50:48 PM »
Sorry....i did a mistake, when i talk about Florida i refer to Miami area....or South Florida. It would be interesting to understand how far north Tamarind can be planted.....as i read in South Portugal it lives, but fruits rot before ripening during winter....and the Algarve region is probably the warmest of all Europe...I thought that fruits coming from the spring flowers did have enough time to ripe....(since main flowering it should be spring in that place)....

Tell about your experiments....does it grow well in pot?

JF

• 90631/97000
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 14, 2015, 08:29:15 PM »
Sorry....i did a mistake, when i talk about Florida i refer to Miami area....or South Florida. It would be interesting to understand how far north Tamarind can be planted.....as i read in South Portugal it lives, but fruits rot before ripening during winter....and the Algarve region is probably the warmest of all Europe...I thought that fruits coming from the spring flowers did have enough time to ripe....(since main flowering it should be spring in that place)....

Tell about your experiments....does it grow well in pot?

I don't like tamarind I don't grow it. and who told you South Portugal is the warmest place in Europe?? Have you heard of Malaga ? or Sevilla, Cordoba or Cadiz??
« Last Edit: October 14, 2015, 08:35:20 PM by JF »

Delvi83

• Italy
    • View Profile
    • Il Gusto della Natura
« Reply #23 on: October 15, 2015, 09:30:00 AM »
Algarve is one of the warmest place in Europe, Malagà is not too far and has a similar climate, Cordoba and Sevilla are colder, Cadiz slightly warmer....

Average of Malaga: DEC :13.2°C JAN 12.1°C  FEB 12.9°C

Average of Faro (South Portugal) : DEC 13.3°C  JAN 12.0°C  FEB 12.8°C

Wikipedia

BahamaDan

• BHS, Zone 12b Subtropics
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 15, 2015, 09:37:46 AM »
Tamarind definitely does not take 10 years to produce from seed, at least in my experience. My mother planted some seeds about 4-6 years ago, kept one and gave one to my grandmother. Ours fruited last year and has lots of flowers now, and my grandmother's fruited even earlier.

I too am curious as to what the normal duration is from fruitset to maturity, and perhaps cultivation or NPK formula advice.