Author Topic: Another gigantic sabara yield mostly going begging  (Read 7609 times)

starling2

• Straya
    • View Profile
Another gigantic sabara yield mostly going begging
« on: November 09, 2015, 08:16:21 PM »
Picked a few kilograms today for friends and colleagues, I don't eat them. Tree is utterly neglected and hasn't been fertilized in over a decade or more. The crop you see here is replicated whenever I get a decent amount of rainfall.

Raulglezruiz

• Puerto Vallarta,Mexico. Lat 21.5 Semi Tropical
    • View Profile
Re: Another gigantic sabara yield mostly going begging
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2015, 08:28:04 PM »
Awesome Starling nice crop! The birds dont bother you?
El verde es vida!

starling2

• Straya
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2015, 08:32:16 PM »
Awesome Starling nice crop! The birds dont bother you?

Raul sometimes I get rainbow lorikeets and King parrots in the tree, but they're welcome to whatever they want given the tree produces thousands upon thousands of fruit per year and I don't eat them. It is strange that the King parrots take them, because they are supposed to be seed eaters only.

It's good to hear from you and  hope you recovered from the storm ok. If you need anything just ask, my house is your house. :)

Mike T

• Zone 12a
  • Cairns,Nth Qld, Australia
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2015, 10:43:03 PM »
I get lorikeets, fig parrots and mostly flying foxes hooking into mine. They are having an unprecedented third consecutive crop in 3 months as is the grimal.It is almost a 4th crop as there was a flowering just after the previous flowers set fruit. Mine crop rather like Starlings' one, getting festooned with vast quantities.

FlyingFoxFruits

• Prince of Plinia
  • www.FlyingFoxFruits.com
    • USA, FEMA Region IV, FL Zone 9a
    • View Profile
    • Flying Fox Fruits
« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2015, 11:33:19 PM »
If u don't like eating them out of hand, try juicing them.

It's what I end up doing when i have too much fruit to eat

It's a real treat.

http://tropicalfruitforum.com/index.php?topic=10104
www.FlyingFoxFruits.com

www.PLINIAS.com

https://www.ebay.com/usr/flyingfoxfruits

www.youtube.com/FlyingFoxFruits

https://www.instagram.com/flyingfoxfruits/
I disabled the forum's personal messaging system, please send an email to contact me, FlyingFoxFruits@gmail.com

starling2

• Straya
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2015, 12:04:49 AM »
I get lorikeets, fig parrots and mostly flying foxes hooking into mine. They are having an unprecedented third consecutive crop in 3 months as is the grimal.It is almost a 4th crop as there was a flowering just after the previous flowers set fruit. Mine crop rather like Starlings' one, getting festooned with vast quantities.

Forgot to mention the fruit bats--and crows too, believe it or not.

starling2

• Straya
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2015, 12:14:03 AM »

It's a real treat.

I actually don't mind the flavor of the skin, or more precisely the flesh closest to this. It's almost a bit mangosteen-ish in a way. The problem is, there's not much of this and I neither like the skin by itself, or the greater bulk of the flesh by itself. If the skin was thinner, and the flavor  diffused more through the flesh, I'd be more into them, for sure.  And they're very sweet, which isn't my thing as an acid fruit enthusiast ( I deliberately eat passionfruit well before optimum sweetness for example). I think this is why I enjoyed the pitangatuba so much, it's pretty much a sour fruit lover's dream come true, and I can't wait until my few little trees produce. A while off yet though, 2 or three years.

One thing I wouldn't mind trying is powdering them. I think this might be the key to getting the balance right for my taste.
« Last Edit: November 10, 2015, 12:21:40 AM by starling2 »

FlyingFoxFruits

• Prince of Plinia
    • View Profile
    • Flying Fox Fruits
« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2015, 12:24:59 AM »
There are some jaboticabas that are quite sour and large...in particular, you might enjoy Myrciaria oblongata...

I have an unidentified variety (at least I can't ID it yet) which makes a very nice but very sour fruit...but it's definitely not oblongata

I know there are a bunch of varieties of M. cauliflora...some of which are acid instead of sweet.
www.FlyingFoxFruits.com

www.PLINIAS.com

I disabled the forum's personal messaging system, please send an email to contact me, FlyingFoxFruits@gmail.com

Mike T

• Zone 12a
  • Cairns,Nth Qld, Australia
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 10, 2015, 04:16:13 AM »
Sabara and grimal that are common are pretty sweet.I got some oblongata from Taiwan that are supposed to be sour,dubai is very sour,coronata will be more acidic.There is a big diversity of tastes and acidity in this group.

BMc

• Brisbane, Queensland, Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 10, 2015, 06:18:05 AM »
A mate at work would metaphorically murder you for a handful of them.
Amazingly, I didn't have any set on my sabara yet, just a bit on the grimal. We haven't had this much rain in spring for, well, ever. So maybe mine just wanted to be a bit drier...

starling2

• Straya
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 10, 2015, 06:20:35 AM »
A mate at work would metaphorically murder you for a handful of them.
Amazingly, I didn't have any set on my sabara yet, just a bit on the grimal. We haven't had this much rain in spring for, well, ever. So maybe mine just wanted to be a bit drier...

If you send me his details I can send him a box at the price of postage. Or I can send them to you, either way. Believe me, I'm not going to run out of them.

zands

• mango_zango
    • Zone 10b, Florida, USA, 33321
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 10, 2015, 07:09:39 AM »
If you were shipwrecked on  a desert island and only had that jaboticaba for food you would be wolfing them down and loving the taste.... nearly all claims of not liking certain foods are BS and pseudo one upmanship...... Talking generally, not about you.

What a nice yielding tree!

« Last Edit: November 10, 2015, 07:11:16 AM by zands »

simon_grow

• USA, San Diego, CA, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 10, 2015, 09:19:55 AM »

It's a real treat.

I actually don't mind the flavor of the skin, or more precisely the flesh closest to this. It's almost a bit mangosteen-ish in a way. The problem is, there's not much of this and I neither like the skin by itself, or the greater bulk of the flesh by itself. If the skin was thinner, and the flavor  diffused more through the flesh, I'd be more into them, for sure.  And they're very sweet, which isn't my thing as an acid fruit enthusiast ( I deliberately eat passionfruit well before optimum sweetness for example). I think this is why I enjoyed the pitangatuba so much, it's pretty much a sour fruit lover's dream come true, and I can't wait until my few little trees produce. A while off yet though, 2 or three years.

One thing I wouldn't mind trying is powdering them. I think this might be the key to getting the balance right for my taste.

I thought I was the only one that felt a ripe Sabara tasted a bit like Mangosteen. I got some very ripe fruit from Peter, they were just about ready to ferment and my wife and I both felt the pulp tasted a lot like Mangosteen.

FlyingFoxFruits

• Prince of Plinia
    • View Profile
    • Flying Fox Fruits
« Reply #13 on: November 10, 2015, 09:51:27 AM »

It's a real treat.

I thought I was the only one that felt a ripe Sabara tasted a bit like Mangosteen. I got some very ripe fruit from Peter, they were just about ready to ferment and my wife and I both felt the pulp tasted a lot like Mangosteen.

The juice of red jaboticaba has always reminded me of mangosteen juice
www.FlyingFoxFruits.com

www.PLINIAS.com

JFranco

• Ericeira, Portugal, Zone 10b.
    • View Profile
    • Passionfruit & Friends
« Reply #14 on: November 10, 2015, 10:37:07 AM »
Hi!

I have never tasted any jabuticaba! :(

But if it tastes closer to mangosteen I am gonna like them!

João Franco

treefrog

• peace, love, and guavas!
    • jefferson county, fl (panhandle) 8b
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 10, 2015, 01:47:03 PM »
"they're very sweet..."

is there a potential there to make wine (brandy?) from the juice?
treefrog land and cattle company

FlyingFoxFruits

• Prince of Plinia
    • View Profile
    • Flying Fox Fruits
« Reply #16 on: November 10, 2015, 01:59:05 PM »
"they're very sweet..."

is there a potential there to make wine (brandy?) from the juice?

lol that's what seems to happen to all the fruit that doesn't get eaten in Brazil...it turns into the best wine in the world...

put it to you this way....i hate fermented fruits, and do not typically like wine...but I will eat fermented jaboticabas with no problem....i have tasted homemade jaboticab wine before, and it's excellent.
« Last Edit: November 10, 2015, 02:00:37 PM by FlyingFoxFruits »
www.FlyingFoxFruits.com

www.PLINIAS.com

echinopora

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 10, 2015, 02:05:38 PM »
Jaboticaba wine is extremely sweet and dark. I was gifted a few bottles from a client, I couldn't drink it straight but it was very good for making desserts and the like. Quince boiled in spiced jaboticaba wine was pretty good.

Rob

FlyingFoxFruits

• Prince of Plinia
    • View Profile
    • Flying Fox Fruits
« Reply #18 on: November 10, 2015, 02:07:41 PM »
Jaboticaba wine is extremely sweet and dark. I was gifted a few bottles from a client, I couldn't drink it straight but it was very good for making desserts and the like. Quince boiled in spiced jaboticaba wine was pretty good.

Rob
I believe it all depends on what variety you use and how you make the wine!
www.FlyingFoxFruits.com

www.PLINIAS.com

starling2

• Straya
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 10, 2015, 02:35:31 PM »

Rob

That sounds more like Glühwein to me, a mulled wine that is meant to be drunk hot. They're all over that shit in Germany. Can be quite good if it is very cold outdoors.

starling2

• Straya
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 10, 2015, 02:40:33 PM »
If you were shipwrecked on  a desert island and only had that jaboticaba for food you would be wolfing them down and loving the taste.... nearly all claims of not liking certain foods are BS and pseudo one upmanship...... Talking generally, not about you.

Well, yeah. In that situation I'd probably be snorting them. Starvation is the best sauce.

FlyingFoxFruits

• Prince of Plinia
    • View Profile
    • Flying Fox Fruits
« Reply #21 on: November 10, 2015, 02:51:00 PM »
just because you don't like sabara, doesn't mean you won't enjoy other myrciarias/plinias...

maybe you'll be lucky enough to taste a cambuca?

or Guaburiti

or Camu camu

or cambuí-açu

or Guaquica

the list goes on, and on.

Well, yeah. In that situation I'd probably be snorting them. Starvation is the best sauce.
www.FlyingFoxFruits.com

www.PLINIAS.com

starling2

• Straya
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 10, 2015, 03:11:05 PM »

I dunno. Maybe I might try to make shrub out of some (fruit syrup). Apparently this can be done with all fruits, using vinegar as the preservative.

http://www.thekitchn.com/how-to-make-a-fruit-shrub-syrup-174072

stuartdaly88

• Phytomaniac
  • Zone 9b/10a
    • South Africa, Gauteng
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 10, 2015, 03:32:08 PM »

Rob
A good rule of thumb is the sweeter the wine the less sugar was converted and lower alcohol content. Maybe a longer fermentation would yield a strong less sweet wine.

I would love to try a jabo gluiwein but I like my gluiwein rich dark and strongly spiced with a non sweet strong red like merlot. Very nice in winter:) sweet gluiwein I wouldn't be keen on so alot of the excess sugar would need to be converted for it to taste nice.
Patience is bitter, but its fruit is sweet.
-Jean-Jacques Rousseau

BMc

• Brisbane, Queensland, Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 10, 2015, 07:39:29 PM »
Sabara makes an excellent port. It maybe as daggy as religion, but a chilled jaboticaba port in summer here is a great way to cap off a day of work in the garden.