Author Topic: Bud Grafting/Epicotyl Grafting Durian  (Read 7473 times)

roboto212

• Pahoa, Hawaii
    • View Profile
Bud Grafting/Epicotyl Grafting Durian
« on: April 28, 2014, 09:50:29 PM »
Anyone ever done it? I have a few hundred durian that I'm going to attempt these two methods on... leaning more towards bud grafting as durian seeds stock is limited in Hawaii...I don't want to kill any of my rootstock through my grafting attempts. I'll keep this thread alive over the next few months with my attempts

HIfarm

• Paukaa, HI, USA zone 12b
    • View Profile
Re: Bud Grafting/Epicotyl Grafting Durian
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2014, 11:42:44 PM »
There's a grower over in Ninole that recommended epicotyl (says he has good success) but I haven't tried it.  I just tried grafting some with cleft grafts about a week ago but too early to say what success rate is like.  Keep us posted on your success.

John

Mike T

• Zone 12a
  • Cairns,Nth Qld, Australia
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2014, 12:21:51 AM »
Epicotyl and especially hypocotyl grafted are recommended by some to improve graft compatability in durians.It is claimed they can be treated as nurse grafted (below ground) and result in more vigorous growth and earlier fruiting.It this were all true I would expect it to be done more often.I have a paper on the techniques somewhere.

I did a few that took well but perished when I was on holidays as their 'keeper' was casual about watering.

Ethan

• Central California Z9/9
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2014, 02:30:36 AM »
  I had one gentleman describe using veneer grafts for his durian grafting.  If you can tip back the scions a couple of weeks before harvesting them, I'd imagine that would help. Maybe leave a leaf or two cut in half on a few scions to see how that goes?

This will be a great experiment to read about, good luck,
-Ethan

Mike T

• Zone 12a
  • Cairns,Nth Qld, Australia
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2014, 03:17:21 AM »
http://www.bpi.da.gov.ph/bpioldsite1/guide_durian.php
http://rfcarchives.org.au/Next/Fruits/Durian/DurianDare3-93.htm
http://www.pinoy-entrepreneur.com/2006/09/12/durian-farming/

I can't find the diagrams that relate to epicotyl and hypocotyl grafting of durians but there are references to these practices in the attached links.

TropicalFruitHunters

• Bangkok, Thailand
    • View Profile
    • Tropical Fruit Hunters
« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2014, 07:36:13 AM »
A guy in Hawaii some may know, David Frenz.  He has been grafting durian for many many years.  He told me that in his experience, durian has been very difficult to graft...even in his conditions.  While there may be better ways of grafting, he felt that approach grafting gave him the best results and still the success rate was not to his satisfaction.  But it at least gave the seedling plant a good chance at surviving if the graft failed.  I agree with Ethan...prepare the scions before they ever get removed from the mother plant where they start budding out and you will have a much better chance.  I've added successfully grafting a durian to my bucket list.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2014, 01:30:45 PM by TropicalFruitHunters »

HIfarm

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2014, 12:56:22 PM »
A guy in Hawaii some may know, David Frenz.  He has been grafting durian for many many years.  He told me that in his experience, durian has been very difficult to graft...even in his conditions.  While there may be better ways of grafting, he felt that veneer grafting gave him the best results and still the success rate was not to his satisfaction.  But it at least gave the seedling plant a good chance at surviving if the graft failed.  I agree with Ethan...prepare the scions before they ever get removed from the mother plant where they start budding out and you will have a much better chance.  I've added successfully grafting a durian to my bucket list.

I believe that David uses approach grafting, at least he was with the last durian I bought from him 2-3 years ago. 

John

roboto212

• Pahoa, Hawaii
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2014, 01:28:13 PM »
Yea David only uses approach grafting with durian. .

My first ever attempt at grafting durian I got 3/6 take with cleft graft on 1 yo seedling s. The scion were unprepared I just tipped them before wrapping in para film.  I don't believe they are a hard tree to graft. . Make clean cuts on young vigorous root stock and scion

TropicalFruitHunters

• Bangkok, Thailand
    • View Profile
    • Tropical Fruit Hunters
« Reply #8 on: April 29, 2014, 01:30:00 PM »
thanks John...I meant approach.  My bad.  Will modify the post.

HIfarm

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 29, 2014, 05:27:48 PM »
Roboto, thanks for the info on your trials with cleft grafts last year -- sounds about identical to what I tried about a week ago.  The grafting process itself didn't seem difficult except on the oxleyanus scions -- the scions were a little too big for the rootstock and they had a slimy sap running.  The scion kept trying to pop out of the rootstock with a cleft graft so I only ended up doing one oxleyanus graft as a result (the one that where the scion seemed happy enough to stay in the rootstock).  I tried 17 cleft grafts, I hope I approach your success rate.

John

My first ever attempt at grafting durian I got 3/6 take with cleft graft on 1 yo seedling s. The scion were unprepared I just tipped them before wrapping in para film.  I don't believe they are a hard tree to graft. . Make clean cuts on young vigorous root stock and scion

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #10 on: April 29, 2014, 07:05:41 PM »

Most common grafting method for durians in Thailand is cleft grafting.  All the grafted durian trees sold in nurseries there are cleft grafted. Durian farmer i visited there told me he got over 90% takes with cleft grafting. When i asked him his secret he told me to graft only in evening and to put a plastic tent over plant to maintain humidity levels very high. With approach grafting you should get close to 100% takes. Never heard of anyone doing epicotyl durian grafts. Good luck and let us know your results.
PS according to David Frenz best scion wood for durian grafting is from young trees or from new lower branches of old trees. Might also help to leave one or two small leaves on the scion.Scion wood deteriorates rapidly. So if grafted immediately you should get very high percentage of takes.
Oscar

roboto212

• Pahoa, Hawaii
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 30, 2014, 01:38:03 AM »
Thx Oscar I'm gonna do some grafting this weekend..

And John you know someone with a oxleyanus tree in the area? If love to attempt that one :)

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #12 on: April 30, 2014, 01:39:35 AM »

And John you know someone with a oxleyanus tree in the area? If love to attempt that one :)

Can trade you bud wood of oxleyanus and graveolens if you want to attempt to graft those. Would love to get grafted chempadek.
Oscar

roboto212

• Pahoa, Hawaii
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 30, 2014, 01:47:13 AM »
Totally Oscar I would love to try.. me and a friend are going to try grafting some small red flesh cempedak scion onto Jack seedling soon...I am thinking one of my grafted cempedak trees at my place is ready to take cuttings from...so will be hopefully making more grafted cempedak very soon. Will keep you posted

TropicalFruitHunters

• Bangkok, Thailand
    • View Profile
    • Tropical Fruit Hunters
« Reply #14 on: April 30, 2014, 06:49:32 AM »
Must be nice having such access to the materials for this!  I keep looking but have yet to find any mature durian growing in Columbus, Ohio.  Bummer.

bangkok

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 30, 2014, 12:58:28 PM »
I tried approach grafting durian a few times. The grafts took but then within 2 weeks they still wilted and died. I gave up on this.

HIfarm

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 30, 2014, 02:30:04 PM »
Hey, roboto -- wish I had known you wanted oxleyanus.  I had a few pieces of scionwood where a good grafter w/ a variety of rootstocks to choose from could have propagated several trees.  I was only able to use one scion as the diameter was a little big for my rootstock & I pitched the rest, not knowing if anyone nearby would want it (limited time to use it).  I got mine from a friend on Maui.  Sounds like Oscar would be your best local prospect.

John

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #17 on: April 30, 2014, 06:07:34 PM »
Must be nice having such access to the materials for this!  I keep looking but have yet to find any mature durian growing in Columbus, Ohio.  Bummer.

Tropicalfruithunter needs to move to Thailand!  ;D If you were an iceberg hunter would you want to live in Thailand?  ;)
Oscar

TropicalFruitHunters

• Bangkok, Thailand
    • View Profile
    • Tropical Fruit Hunters
« Reply #18 on: May 01, 2014, 06:47:15 AM »
Oscar, as stubborn and hard headed as I am, I would probably construct a large freezer to keep icebergs!  And believe me...if the boss(wife) said let's move to Thailand tomorrow, I'd be packing.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk