Author Topic: successful rooting of kaffir, calomondin, limequat?  (Read 1097 times)

brian

• Pennsylvania (zone 6) w/ heated greenhouse
    • View Profile
successful rooting of kaffir, calomondin, limequat?
« on: April 11, 2021, 05:46:31 PM »
A local plant store regularly has rooted lemon cuttings for sale.  Today I noticed they are selling what appear to be rooted cuttings of varieties I didn't know were able to root.  I'm not 100% sure these are cuttings, and I guess it is possible these are just doomed twigs that haven't actually taken root if the seller is being dishonest.  The algae growing around the base of the limequat suggests it isn't freshly cut.

kaffir

calomondin

unknown limequat

socalbalcony

• California, South OC, 10B
    • View Profile
    • IG
Re: successful rooting of kaffir, calomondin, limequat?
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2021, 10:17:17 PM »
I've seen many citruses root but their life after may be difficult because they are no longer on a root stock more suitable for growing..

lebmung

• Romania, Bucharest,7b (inside city 8a)
    • View Profile
    • Plante tropicale
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2021, 06:44:46 AM »
The seem to be cuttings.
I rooted Kaffir lime, but they easily die from root rot when they get cold temperatures.
After many tree dies I don't root ehm anymore.
One positive side when gron from seed or cutting is that leaves taste is much better and flagrant than grown on PT, plus a vigorous grower, you need leaves after all.

sc4001992

• USA, CA, Fullerton
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2021, 05:41:12 PM »
I have a few variegated meyer lemon that was rooted and its doing fine now. One of them even has red/pink flesh (no it's not the pink lemonade).

Odenwald

• West central Florida 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2021, 07:58:30 PM »
Could be air layered.

850FL

• zone 8b/9a
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2021, 11:08:42 AM »
I contacted record buck farms (company from the last picture) a few months back and questioned them about their 1-2 gallon size citrus, whether they were just rooted cuttings or micrografted when very young and the graft was just buried under the roots?
They told me that they do NOT graft any of the citrus in smaller 1-2 gallon pots. Only their 5+ gallon size citrus are grafted. This means they were able to root calamondins, eureka beaars and meyer lemons, pink variegated lemons, valencia, blood, hamlin and navel oranges, murcott tangerines, key rangpur and persian limes, lakeland limequats, satsumas, meiwa and centennial kumquats, finger limes, among others (this list is just what i have personally seen lying around in small pot sizes). They must be rooting these under very precise conditions, because out of this list i have only been successful with easily rooting meyer lemons, persian limes, key limes. Although, i normally root things outdoors exposed to the elements anyway. Indoors once i did get a few satsuma cuttings to callous..
Either theyre rooting cuttings, or air layering. But i tend to think they're rooting cuttings since theyre such a large company..
« Last Edit: April 17, 2021, 11:11:38 AM by 850FL »

brian

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2021, 11:58:40 AM »
Interesting, I had no idea so many citrus would root.  I know about lemons, of course, but the rest were a surprise. 

This shop I posted pictures of I am almost positive is NOT air-layer/murcotting because their donor trees are out for display so I would expect to see the bagged branches if they were. 

850FL

• zone 8b/9a
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2021, 09:31:04 PM »
Ask if they will do a warranty period on those plants. If so then buy one, take it out of the pot and see if its got roots. If it doesnt have roots then return it get your money back and call them out on their bs!! Then post up outside their shop with a megaphone letting everyone know theyre scammers till they correct themselves.
Im curious though, maybe they were able to root them up indoors. I know with more difficult rooting plants the medium cant be too moist or too dry..just right. Somebody else posted about how they were rooting satsuma cuttings or something like that, indoors on a window sill in sealed liter bottles, and it took about a year.

850FL

• zone 8b/9a
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2021, 09:34:15 PM »
Cant believe that defoliated limequat is going for almost 40$! Our prices down here for that exact plant is 15$, and even that is too expensive. And in a condition as such, Id be able to talk them into 1\2 off that, easy

brian

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 17, 2021, 09:46:23 PM »
I already have all these trees, I was mostly curious about the rooting aspect.  I don't really understand the citrus market in this area, I think they sell it as a novelty to help attract customers to their core business of selling more common plants.  Many of the interesting trees seem priced high enough to discourage anybody from actually buying them. 

Laaz

• Charleston, SC 9a
    • View Profile
    • Citrusgrowers forum
« Reply #10 on: April 18, 2021, 08:36:50 AM »
Almost all citrus will root very easy, but many do not do very well on their own roots.

850FL

• zone 8b/9a
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 19, 2021, 10:43:16 AM »
Almost all citrus will root very easy, but many do not do very well on their own roots.

This could be dependent on locational factors like rainfall and soil type, soil pathogens etc. Although you are right, better off just grafting to a good rootstock

Millet

• Colorado
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 19, 2021, 11:13:40 AM »
I have found that some citrus such as calamondin, lemons etc. do root easy, but some don't.