Author Topic: Himsagar Lehore. Any fans of this variety  (Read 1725 times)

bovine421

• Shake Rag Rd Fl 9b
    • View Profile
Himsagar Lehore. Any fans of this variety
« on: December 21, 2020, 05:10:25 AM »
Is anyone growing this?  Is this a candidate for container Growers? I have an acquaintance down in South Florida who likes this variety and has recommended that I graft into my collection. What are the growth characteristics of the tree and is the flavor somewhat unique? :)
Tete Nene Julie Juliet Carrie Ice Cream Coconut Cream Little Gem  Dot  Mallika PPK  OS  Pina Colada Cotton Candy Buxton Spice Karen Michelle M-4 Beverly Marc Anthony White Pirie Lychee Cherilata Plantain Barbados Cherry

dwfl

• Bokeelia
    • View Profile
Re: Himsagar Lehore. Any fans of this variety
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2020, 11:07:41 AM »
Had a himsagar mango a couple years ago. It was excellent. Will try to track one down to plant this coming year.

skhan

• United States, Florida, Coral Springs, 10b
    • View Profile
    • Videos of Garden
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2020, 11:14:22 AM »
I had it a few times, i liked it.
It had that "classic-acid" flavor which was surprising because most mangos from that region have some type of resin notes. (I still prefer a good Neelam though)
Its also a late-season mango so that's great too

roblack

• Miami, FL 11A
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2020, 01:45:51 PM »
Had a whitish mango from Dr. Campbell 2 years ago. Either Himsagar or Jehangir was what it was labeled as. Excellent. Definitely had some piney resinous notes, low to no fiber, and sweet. Whatever it was, Ian (One of Dr. C's sons) mentioned it was one of his favs.

Squam256

• Mangos, trees and budwood for sale
    • USA, West Palm Beach, FL, 33405, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
    • https://www.facebook.com/TropicalAcresFarms
« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2020, 10:21:41 PM »
The USDA/Lehore Himsagar probably isn’t even from India or Pakistan but more likely a mislabeled tree.

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2020, 12:27:23 AM »
Had a whitish mango from Dr. Campbell 2 years ago. Either Himsagar or Jehangir was what it was labeled as. Excellent. Definitely had some piney resinous notes, low to no fiber, and sweet. Whatever it was, Ian (One of Dr. C's sons) mentioned it was one of his favs.

That sounds like Jehangir.
- Rob

roblack

• Miami, FL 11A
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2020, 08:34:33 AM »
Thanks Rob. My memory was a bit hazy on that one, but that feels right. Confirmed by Dr. C.

Jehangir is on my add list.

MANGOSCOPE

• usa,fl,margate,10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2021, 01:07:56 PM »
Is anyone growing this?  Is this a candidate for container Growers? I have an acquaintance down in South Florida who likes this variety and has recommended that I graft into my collection. What are the growth characteristics of the tree and is the flavor somewhat unique? :)

I got Himsagar Lahore in a 3 gallon pot from ZHPP 6 years ago hoping that I would experience a supreme cultivar in south Florida. I let it grow for one year and then transplanted into a 5 gallon pot. It stayed there for a year and during the next mango season, I thinned fruits and left 3 mangos on the tree. It was mid July I harvested them. They were oblong and turned yellow on the stem end. when I saw the fruit shape, I started doubting that it is not the real deal.

I thought in the beginning that  it’s taste might disappoint me like other subcontinent varieties but still I would be content with a little inferior quality of Himsagar, due to SoFla condition. It disappointed me further. It is not the fruit I anticipated for long. It is a  different cultivar probably, collected by many from USDA germ plasm.

I thought how in the world fruit morphology can change that fast! I do understand that morphological variations of fruits such as shape and size, and color are a result of adaptive evolution.

Anyway, with a broken heart I let it ripe in my garage for 7 days. I was so eagerly waiting for this day to cut open and taste test my first Himsagar. It disappointed for a short while. After brought it from my garage, I saw that  It turned completely yellow, cut open  tried a slice of yellow flesh which was very sweet, juicy, little creamy and  with high TSS% coupled with an acid component to balance it out.  I immediately, thought that it was a mislabeled Indochinese variant. Very smooth texture with a complex almost  “Sweet Tart” mango flavor. I ate all 3 mangos and tried to comprehend the multifaceted inherent flavor.
I transplant the tree again to a 25 gal container and watched it carefully. Growth habit is medium, it formed a dense canopy after a routine pruning. Very productive variety. Fruit size is small to medium in containers. It can continue to grow in the same 25 gal container at least for another 2-3 years.

Now, I’ve the real Himsagar variety in my collection. It is an excellent variety from West Bengal, India where it is originated. Lot of mango enthusiasts  and mango connoisseurs in that region compare this cultivar with Alphonso. And on a humble note, they say it is better than the king of mangos(Alphonso). It is also a leading variety in Bangladesh where they have 2 other variants, taste of which are same but differ in size like kesar and jumbo kesar. They often confuse  Khirsapat mango with Himsagar. The actual color remains green to   greenish yellow when it ripens. There is no fiber. Flesh turns deep yellow to orange. TSS% around 23 the ones I taste tested there. Flavor is in the Indian Alphonso group with light hint of mixed fruits.
My original Himsagar bloomed 2019 for the first time. Didn’t let the fruit grow then. Hopefully, It will bloom after the ongoing second cold spell in SoFla. Anticipating on the overall growth of this outstanding mango.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2021, 05:18:03 PM by MANGOSCOPE »

mangokothiyan

• Coral Springs, Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2021, 03:47:13 PM »

I have the Himasagar from Zills as well. It indeed is very productive and the tree stays small. I like the fruit as well. Excited to know that you have the real Himasagar from West Bengal; I have read that the fruit is so good that all the mangoes are eaten by people in the region, leaving nothing for export. :) Just curious, where did you get the tree, or the budwood?

I live in Coral Springs. Would love to get budwood from your tree after fruiting season. 

MANGOSCOPE

• usa,fl,margate,10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 05, 2021, 05:15:46 PM »

I have the Himasagar from Zills as well. It indeed is very productive and the tree stays small. I like the fruit as well. Excited to know that you have the real Himasagar from West Bengal; I have read that the fruit is so good that all the mangoes are eaten by people in the region, leaving nothing for export. :) Just curious, where did you get the tree, or the budwood?

I live in Coral Springs. Would love to get budwood from your tree after fruiting season. 

I got my budwood from Murshidabad, India. My friend actually got few scions but only one survived during the grafting process in that winter. I would love to share budwood once it shows its true flavor!

mangokothiyan

• Coral Springs, Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 06, 2021, 08:57:12 PM »

I got my budwood from Murshidabad, India. My friend actually got few scions but only one survived during the grafting process in that winter. I would love to share budwood once it shows its true flavor!

Thank you!  We will wait to hear a flavor report from you.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk