Author Topic: World-class subcontinent mango cultivars vs South Florida conditions:  (Read 1801 times)

MANGOSCOPE

• usa,fl,margate,10b
    • View Profile
I propagated the following  cultivars in South Florida conditions and almost each and every variety failed to retain their exotic flavor,complexity, spiciness and °brix, compared to their country of origin. I came up with an inference for each variety I tried in Florida in percentages, close to their native conditions. And of course, this is my own assessment for these cultivars growing in Florida. It is worth to make mention that I tried all of them in both parts of the world. Except, for my Alphonso scion which was collected from Pine Island Nursery(Homestead, Miami) in late 90's and others were obtained from their country of origin.

‌Alphonso-50%
‌Imam pasand-70%
‌Amrapalli-70%
‌Anwar Ratool-40%
‌Banganpalli-50-60%
‌Chaunsa-40%
‌Dussehri-50%
‌Fazli-expecting bloom in 2021
‌Gopalbhog-60%
‌Gourmoti-60%
‌Haribhanga-60%
‌Himsagar-expecting bloom in 2021
‌Jahangir-60%
‌Kesar-70%
‌Langra and it's phenotypes-expecting bloom in 2021
‌Malda-expecting bloom in 2021
‌Mallika-60%
‌Sindhri-not yet bloomed
‌Sonpari-80%

They definitely, could show way better results where the conditions match or close to their original environment in most southern part of continental USA or in latin America. Those who have propagated these cultivars they can chime in to share their first hand experience.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2021, 08:54:02 PM by MANGOSCOPE »

fliptop

• SWFL10a
    • View Profile
Re: World-class subcontinent mango cultivars vs South Florida conditions:
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2021, 08:59:00 PM »
What about Neelam?

Fishinsteeg234

• USA, FL, Longwood, zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2021, 09:39:28 PM »
Very interesting. I wonder how some of the new florida cultivars are compared in other parts of the world, in similar, non-native conditions? I guess time will tell. Maybe there is a good crossover yet to be found.

MANGOSCOPE

• usa,fl,margate,10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2021, 09:51:17 PM »
What about Neelam?

I completely, forgot about Neelam. Actually, that was my first Indian variety I collected before Alphonso. I have to say that it did the best among all the subcontinent cultivars in my yard except for it's patchy sign of Anthracnose  on the skin and  they coalesce in late Oct when I have 2 crops. The tree is far away from the huge lake in my backyard. It did, I would say, same as or better than Sonpari.

MANGOSCOPE

• usa,fl,margate,10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2021, 10:04:40 PM »
Very interesting. I wonder how some of the new florida cultivars are compared in other parts of the world, in similar, non-native conditions? I guess time will tell. Maybe there is a good crossover yet to be found.

In fact, I tried few Old Floridian cultivars in their non-native conditions back in  2006. Surprisingly, they did really really good in subcontinent conditions.
I tried  Bailey's Marvel, Beverly, Carrie and Dot. Thanks for raising that point out and for me it is a curiosity to find the unknown to make it known.

johnb51

• USA Deerfield Beach, FL Zone 11a
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2021, 11:10:40 PM »
What exactly do the percentages mean?
John

MANGOSCOPE

• usa,fl,margate,10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2021, 12:32:38 AM »
What exactly do the percentages mean?

It would be the success rate in % for non-native mangos in South Florida conditions.
It would include growth habit, disease resistance of the trees and taste profile of the fruits.

bovine421

• Shake Rag Rd Fl 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2021, 06:09:26 AM »
Do you have an opinion on Ambika? How is it regarded on the subcontinent. Mostly interested in taste then disease resistance :)
Tete Nene Julie Juliet Carrie Ice Cream Coconut Cream Little Gem  Dot  Mallika PPK  OS  Pina Colada Cotton Candy Buxton Spice Karen Michelle M-4 Beverly Marc Anthony White Pirie Lychee Cherilata Plantain Barbados Cherry

Mike T

• Zone 12a
  • Cairns,Nth Qld, Australia
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2021, 06:12:19 AM »
The sub-continent is more than just India

bovine421

• Shake Rag Rd Fl 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2021, 06:45:55 AM »
Thanks Mike for learning me. :)
That Hardell is a natural-born fibber! He told me that India was the center of the universe and the cradle of civilization. I cannot believe I gave him a bottle of beer for that information lol
Tete Nene Julie Juliet Carrie Ice Cream Coconut Cream Little Gem  Dot  Mallika PPK  OS  Pina Colada Cotton Candy Buxton Spice Karen Michelle M-4 Beverly Marc Anthony White Pirie Lychee Cherilata Plantain Barbados Cherry

johnb51

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 14, 2021, 09:35:13 AM »
Good Jeopardy question: These countries make up the (Indian) subcontinent.  What are India, Pakistan, Bangladesh, Nepal, Bhutan, Sri Lanka, and Maldives.  (Missing Alex Trebek.  He was the GOAT of game show hosts.)
John

bovine421

• Shake Rag Rd Fl 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 14, 2021, 12:04:47 PM »
Good Jeopardy question: These countries make up the (Indian) subcontinent.  What are India, Pakistan, Bangladesh, Nepal, Bhutan, Sri Lanka, and Maldives.  (Missing Alex Trebek.  He was the GOAT of game show hosts.)
John I just talked to Hardell he says that is a colonizer map you have. Lol
I was hoping someone would tell me of The Good The Bad and The Ugly about Ambika :)

MANGOSCOPE

• usa,fl,margate,10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 14, 2021, 01:24:23 PM »
Do you have an opinion on Ambika? How is it regarded on the subcontinent. Mostly interested in taste then disease resistance :)

Ambika is another hybrid mango I taste test in City of Lucknow, India in 2018. I haven't tried this cultivar in the Florida yet. It is a medium to large mango. It weighs around 1-1.5lbs. Turns yellow with red blush when ripe. It is sweet, aromatic and clean mango. it doesn't have all the attributes from its parents. What I heard from a mango connoisseur that it has a greenish blue mango with purple tinge when it is unripe, probably, it got that blue hue from its grand parent Neelam. But I think Arunika is better in flavor profile even though it is a bit on the smaller side.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2021, 05:55:21 PM by MANGOSCOPE »

Felipe

• Global Moderator
    • Canary Islands, Spain - 12b
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 31, 2021, 07:01:54 AM »
WOW! that is a great collection of indian mangos! Some of the names I hear them for the first time. Do you have pictures and describtion of those cultivars?

Which are your favorites of the list?

Felipe

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 31, 2021, 07:08:24 AM »

Some old Fl cultivars like Keitt or Osteen perform great in other parts of the world, in fact Osteen in the main commertial cultivar in Spain. Production and fruit quality are very good.

I am also gronwing some Zill mangos. I have a dry and hot subtropical climate with rich soil. In my conditions the Zill mangos (Sweet Tart, Lemon Zest, Piña Colada, ect.) also produce amazing fruit  :)

johnb51

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 31, 2021, 09:45:54 AM »
I am also gronwing some Zill mangos. I have a dry and hot subtropical climate with rich soil. In my conditions the Zill mangos (Sweet Tart, Lemon Zest, Piña Colada, ect.) also produce amazing fruit  :)
Nice!
John

bovine421

• Shake Rag Rd Fl 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 31, 2021, 10:17:32 AM »
Nice!
What type of winter or weather during flowering do you have wet or dry?
From what I've gathered from the California crew if you do not over water your lemon zest it should be Sublime. :)

Felipe

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 31, 2021, 06:28:05 PM »
I think my climate is similar to SoCal. We do not get much rain in Winter (unfortunatelly). The tree seems to be a little prone to diseases and irregular bearer, but the fruit is really amazing!

bovine421

• Shake Rag Rd Fl 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 31, 2021, 07:28:55 PM »
I think my climate is similar to SoCal. We do not get much rain in Winter (unfortunatelly). The tree seems to be a little prone to diseases and irregular bearer, but the fruit is really amazing!

[/quote
Someone correct me if I'm wrong but a dry winter is a good thing. During flowering season you do not want cold and damp conditions. After fruit set a little Rain Is a Good Thing. How hot does it get in the summer?

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk