Author Topic: Indian mango with commercial potential  (Read 1079 times)

nileshkwr

• India
    • View Profile
Indian mango with commercial potential
« on: January 18, 2021, 03:14:15 AM »
Which Indian cultivar has potential be a commercial success in US market considering flavour, size , shelf life of fruit?
« Last Edit: January 18, 2021, 08:34:48 PM by nileshkwr »

MANGOSCOPE

• usa,fl,margate,10b
    • View Profile
Re: Indian mango with commercial potential
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2021, 04:40:42 PM »
Which Indian cultivar has potential be a commercial success in US market considering flavour, size , shelf life of fruit?

Propagating 15 Indian Cultivars so far and watched them closely in South Florida conditions for last few years, my take would be Amrapalli and Kesar. They're way superior than the Ataulfo mangos in flavor profile found in American Supermarkets from Mexico, in the same size spectrum.
Kesar could be replaced with Jumbo Kesar for the size aspect, otherwise Kesar and jumbo kesar have the same Flavor profile.

These two cultivars are productive, manifest slow growth habit which leads to have a manageable tree, good to very good disease resistance, didn't suffer  any MBBS in last couple of years. They do have a very good shelf life. Sonpari(not a commercial variety in India) could have been a good contender in every dept. except for disease resistance if it didn't have Mango bacterial black spot here in South Florida. I'll follow up on Sonpari.

I do have few Indian commercial varieties like Himsagar and langra which yet to enter this platform. Time will say what they put together. Please check my other thread for the success rate of Indian Cultivars in South Florida. They could exhibit better results elsewhere in US.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2021, 04:42:15 PM by MANGOSCOPE »

nileshkwr

• India
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2021, 02:32:31 AM »

Propagating 15 Indian Cultivars so far and watched them closely in South Florida conditions for last few years, my take would be Amrapalli and Kesar. They're way superior than the Ataulfo mangos in flavor profile found in American Supermarkets from Mexico, in the same size spectrum.
Kesar could be replaced with Jumbo Kesar for the size aspect, otherwise Kesar and jumbo kesar have the same Flavor profile.

These two cultivars are productive, manifest slow growth habit which leads to have a manageable tree, good to very good disease resistance, didn't suffer  any MBBS in last couple of years. They do have a very good shelf life. Sonpari(not a commercial variety in India) could have been a good contender in every dept. except for disease resistance if it didn't have Mango bacterial black spot here in South Florida. I'll follow up on Sonpari.

I do have few Indian commercial varieties like Himsagar and langra which yet to enter this platform. Time will say what they put together. Please check my other thread for the success rate of Indian Cultivars in South Florida. They could exhibit better results elsewhere in US.
Thank you very much for your reply.
 In India , Kesar or Jumbo Kesar is more feasible commercial option as it is early maturing in March, April. Also Indian people know Kesar cultivar. So it fetches good price in Indian market also. Amrapali and sonpari are not known to 95% indians. Also these are very late cultivars (june). Early mansoon rain can damage the fruits.
In india Alphanso is main commercial cultivar. It is perfect mango except it has spongy tissue problem. So screening fruits with 2.5 % salt solution is time consuming process.
Dasheri is at par with alphanso in taste.
I personally like taste of Payree mango. It is fibrous and have lesser shelf life. So can not be exported.
Among Kesar, amrapali and sonpari, which one has better taste according to you? 
« Last Edit: January 20, 2021, 05:35:17 AM by nileshkwr »

MANGOSCOPE

• usa,fl,margate,10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2021, 12:31:58 PM »

Thank you very much for your reply.
 In India , Kesar or Jumbo Kesar is more feasible commercial option as it is early maturing in March, April. Also Indian people know Kesar cultivar. So it fetches good price in Indian market also. Amrapali and sonpari are not known to 95% indians. Also these are very late cultivars (june). Early mansoon rain can damage the fruits.
In india Alphanso is main commercial cultivar. It is perfect mango except it has spongy tissue problem. So screening fruits with 2.5 % salt solution is time consuming process.
Dasheri is at par with alphanso in taste.
I personally like taste of Payree mango. It is fibrous and have lesser shelf life. So can not be exported.
Among Kesar, amrapali and sonpari, which one has better taste according to you?

Alphoso and Dussehri(aka dasheri or dashehari) didn't do well in SoFl. I did try Paheri(aka Pairi) in India which is an exellent variety. Neither I tried it nor I grow this cultivar in SoFl.

I have the White Piri Mango tree in my collection which is from Hawaii. Lot of people hypothesize that it could be from Indian paheri which could be synonymous to Jamaican Bombay(not the Bombay green from India).
White Piri is also an excellent cultivar, well adopted in Florida conditions. White piri doesn't have a well defined sinus and a pointed, also little elevated beak like the Indian Paheri where Jamaican Bombay is very close to Indian Paheri morphologically.

Amrapalli(one of the commercial varieties),Kesar and Sonpari are the cream of the crops in India having different flavor profiles. Here in SoFl we don't have that luxury to go by the cultivars and expect 100% because of the conditions. But we do have some excellent Florida grown mangos can outmatch the top-notch varieties around the world.

nileshkwr

• India
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2021, 10:12:36 AM »
Any updates?

bovine421

• Shake Rag Rd Fl 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2021, 03:02:00 PM »
I can't really speak to the commercial potential other than being a purchaser of mangoes for my own consumption. I like  Ambika and will  purchase if available.
Tete Nene Julie Juliet Carrie Ice Cream Coconut Cream Little Gem  Dot  Mallika PPK  OS  Pina Colada Cotton Candy Buxton Spice Karen Michelle M-4 Beverly Marc Anthony White Pirie Lychee Cherilata Plantain Barbados Cherry