Author Topic: Durian smell  (Read 6844 times)

bangkok

• View Profile
Durian smell
« on: October 16, 2013, 07:03:53 PM »
I saw many mongthong durians for sale this week (also in supermarket) but they don't smell anymore. I thought they were kan yao because of their small size but now they sell small mongthongs (offseason).

Which durian variety smells the most, even when hanging on the tree?

I don't want my garden to smell like rotten onions so i better plan which variety's i will graft onto the main tree.

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
Re: Durian smell
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2013, 07:12:56 PM »
Good question. I don't know the answer as to which durian wins the honor of smelliest. But whichever one you plant i suggest planting downwind from your house at good distance. Also when picked at slightly unripe stage they're not going to smell anyways. But where will you store them? That place will smell.
Funny story: a Thai friend mailing me hundreds of seeds bought 500 kilos of durian fruits to process. He told me he had a big pile of the durian fruits in the garage and that day the maid refused to work and went home due to overpowering smell. I told him "i thought all Thais love durian and would be in heaven with all those fruits?" His answer: "1 or 2 durians is heaven, 500 kilos of durian is hell!"
Oscar

HIfarm

• Paukaa, HI, USA zone 12b
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2013, 07:57:30 PM »
I remember hearing about a low odor durian bred in Thailand several years ago, I believe the clonal name is 'Chantaburi #1".  I have not personally spoken to anyone who had tried it but what I have heard is it is not a winner (doesn't smell enough like durian to be popular with durian eaters -- not the same experience).

John

bangkok

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2013, 08:06:20 PM »
Oscar we don't have wind here, almost never. Even right now we have a thunderstorm like hell but the raindrops fall down in an angle of 90 degree's, just like the sun in daytime does.

Well the tree is close to the house, we have a small garden. Also my neighbour will sure smell them and i want to keep him as a friend. When we have many ripe durians one day i will give them away asap. I can't stand that smell. Maybe i will make icecream from them as well since we have an icemachine now.

Not all Thai like durian but most do. I saw long qeue's on the market yesterday where they were peeling them. Even young toddlers love to eat them.

Chantaburi #1 i have heard of it, chantaburi is the durian paradise of Thailand because of the high rainfall there.

DurianisaDrug

• Fruitarian
  • Me encantan las frutas dulces
    • Ecuador
    • View Profile
    • www.terrafruta.org
« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2013, 08:18:04 PM »
I think the little red pran ones smell the most.. just going off second hand word and bad memory haha

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2013, 11:11:43 PM »
Durio oxyleanus, if you can get it, has no smell, and is pretty good tasting small fruit.
Oscar

bangkok

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2013, 11:28:51 PM »
I think the little red pran ones smell the most.. just going off second hand word and bad memory haha

http://www.yearofthedurian.com/2013/04/durio-dulcis-beccari.html

According to this site this small red one smells the most. I love the looks of it so much, it is like a big pulasan.

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2013, 11:32:44 PM »
Looks more like a sea urchin than pulasan, due to large size and also sharp looking and long splinterns.
Oscar

Mike T

• Zone 12a
  • Cairns,Nth Qld, Australia
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 16, 2013, 11:45:52 PM »
Monthong and all D.zibethinus have an aroma that can be strong.I think early picked thai durian have a gentler bouquet.Chantaburi 1,2 and 3 have been bred for odourless qualities with C.1 not developing the aluring 'nose' even after ripening and taste is still rich.2 and 3 develop aromatic qualities after ripening.Many Thai durian enthusiasts have been outraged by this concerning attempt to dilute the durian experience.

Most of the smell of all durians is in the skin.

This aroma business is hard to quantify with some trees,locations and times of the season producing fruit with fuller bouquets and different elements like the suphur overtone.
Larger, commonly cultivated varieties in Malaysia and Thailand far less 'atmospher' than fruit from most seedlings,especially if varieties have crossed.I have to admit that fruit from several un-named varieties have raised the roof at my work, and had people in my neighbourhood concerned about gas leaks.

bangkok

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 17, 2013, 12:12:28 AM »
Oscar, read this about durian and alcohol.....at the bottom are reply's of  people who tested our myth.

http://www.yearofthedurian.com/2013/08/durian-and-alcohol-deadly-mix.html

I 've got to have durian kutejensis, maybe i will find them in singapore when i go there to get my pulasan. That one has no sulfur smell and is a favorit of Brunei.

I'm getting excited about the durian, i will post a pic of my tree when it stops raining. I don't have a great spot for it but maybe i will find a place somewhere else to grow it. All people here have useless tree's in their gardens and the kutejensis likes clay soil.

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #10 on: October 17, 2013, 12:49:56 AM »
Oscar, read this about durian and alcohol.....at the bottom are reply's of  people who tested our myth.

http://www.yearofthedurian.com/2013/08/durian-and-alcohol-deadly-mix.html

I 've got to have durian kutejensis, maybe i will find them in singapore when i go there to get my pulasan. That one has no sulfur smell and is a favorit of Brunei.

I'm getting excited about the durian, i will post a pic of my tree when it stops raining. I don't have a great spot for it but maybe i will find a place somewhere else to grow it. All people here have useless tree's in their gardens and the kutejensis likes clay soil.

Sounds like durian and coca cola is a more dangerous combination than durian and alcohol. Doubt you can find any kutajensis or any other species of durian except regular old durian in Singapore markets.
Oscar

cgps

• general fruticulture
  • really, i am new always
    • san jose of cúcuta, north of santander, Colombia,tropical dry weather,max 38min18, 40%RH
    • View Profile
    • agroengineer in progress
« Reply #11 on: October 17, 2013, 12:57:10 AM »
The durians really smell so bad ?, more that the madure noni?

The most similar to this fruit are the soursops, in size  but I not know in flavor and texture, in smell never heh !

Camile
« Last Edit: October 17, 2013, 12:58:53 AM by cgps »

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #12 on: October 17, 2013, 01:01:54 AM »

The most similar to this fruit are the soursoups, in size  but I not know in flavor and texture, in smell for never heh !

Camile

Very different from noni. Nonis don't produce gas. Durians emit a sulphurous gas. Most problems come about because people take them indoors where the gas soon fills the room. Durians need to be eaten outdoors. It's a big mistake also to put them in the fridge.
But biggest problem with durians is one never mentioned, not the smell, but the very sharp needle like projections all around the fruit. Very hard to open without good gloves or much experience in not gouging yourself. Not the kind of thing you can easily bite into, or peel, like a banana. Thailand is great because the vendors will open them for you when you buy them.
Oscar

cgps

• general fruticulture
    • san jose of cúcuta, north of santander, Colombia,tropical dry weather,max 38min18, 40%RH
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 17, 2013, 01:23:30 AM »

The most similar to this fruit are the soursoups, in size  but I not know in flavor and texture, in smell for never heh !

Camile

Very different from noni. Nonis don't produce gas. Durians emit a sulphurous gas. Most problems come about because people take them indoors where the gas soon fills the room. Durians need to be eaten outdoors. It's a big mistake also to put them in the fridge.
But biggest problem with durians is one never mentioned, not the smell, but the very sharp needle like projections all around the fruit. Very hard to open without good gloves or much experience in not gouging yourself. Not the kind of thing you can easily bite into, or peel, like a banana. Thailand is great because the vendors will open them for you when you buy them.

Oh Yes, but how  is the flavor, is similar to what?

Camile
« Last Edit: October 17, 2013, 01:26:01 AM by cgps »

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #14 on: October 17, 2013, 01:33:04 AM »

Camile

Oh Yes, but how  is the flavor, is similar to what?

Camile

Are you kidding or what? Durian is considered one of the best fruits on the planet by so many. Most Asians consider it king of fruits. Noni i don't even consider to be edible. It's more of a medicinal. The Hawaiians of old considered noni a survival food...same way people ate the leather of their shoes during the big wars. :o Is shoe leather as good as fruit leather?  ;)
Oscar

cgps

• general fruticulture
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 17, 2013, 02:04:36 AM »
Hey wait, I say not that the durian and noni are comparables,I say that flavor have durians in relation  to Other fruits?

Excuse me my english, error of grammar and a bit practice .

Camile
« Last Edit: October 17, 2013, 02:07:36 AM by cgps »

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #16 on: October 17, 2013, 02:26:26 AM »
Hey wait, I say not that the durian and noni are comparables,I say that flavor have durians in relation  to Other fruits?

Camile

OK, i get it now. Durian is not comparable to any other fruit. It is like a person asking what a banana tastes like that has never had a banana. Best is to go and try one. All i can tell you is the texture of durian is very soft, like whipping cream. Taste is sweet and very complex.Also it is very filling, has a lot of calories, lots of nutrients. I believe it is the fruit highest of all in protein.
Oscar

cgps

• general fruticulture
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 17, 2013, 02:40:47 AM »

Camile

OK, i get it now. Durian is not comparable to any other fruit. It is like a person asking what a banana tastes like that has never had a banana. Best is to go and try one. All i can tell you is the texture of durian is very soft, like whipping cream. Taste is sweet and very complex.Also it is very filling, has a lot of calories, lots of nutrients. I believe it is the fruit highest of all in protein.

Ok, gracias

DurianLover

• Bali, Indonesia
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 17, 2013, 02:46:20 AM »
Camile, I will try to explain in simple terms, because Oscar is failing at his job ;)
Noni smells like vomit. Translation: simply disgusting. I will probably die without ever bringing myself to taste that fruit. Durian on the other hand has very complex smell. Some people smell almonds, vanilla, or even rotten onions. You can smell one thing, or you can smell many things at once. Depends on your brain wiring. For us durian lovers it smells heavenly and taste heavenly. Noni on the other hand will always remain cursed, universally disliked fruit. So yes, not even close, not comparable...

DurianLover

• Bali, Indonesia
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 17, 2013, 03:09:04 AM »
If you are so concerned with the smell, than I would follow Oscar's advise and plant Durio Oxleyanus. It does not smell and taste almost like real thing. Any white man will like it the first time provided they never had durian before, and have not been brainwashed that durian smells and taste bad. However I think its impractical to grow seedling in your suburban Bangkok backyard. You can see some of D. Oxleyanus pictures I took this year. http://tropicalfruitforum.com/index.php?topic=4509.0;nowap
You won't find D. kutajensis in Singapore and I don't understand why are you so excited about it without ever tasting? It taste like real durian mixed with wax and bubble gum flavor. Not a big fan of it, but honestly will not refuse either. Something nice to have occasionally simply for the sake of change. I just think known D.zibethinus varieties taste much better than D. kutajensis.

bangkok

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 17, 2013, 03:30:56 AM »
The kutajensis does not smell and tastes good is what i read. I don't like the sulfur smell.

I have a grafted mongthong now and want to make it a cocktail tree. I don't grow a seedling in BKK but if i might find a seed of it i can grow it elsewhere.

My plan to go to singapore is to buy a pulasan tree and also get a visa-stamp because i have to leave thailand every 2 months. I might also change that flight and go to Brunei. I have been in singapore before and never in brunei so maybe it;s a nice idea.

I also like the durian dulcis by the way it looks, but if it really smells strong i don't want to grow it here. There are soo many different durians and i only have tasted mongthong so far. I have a small Gaan Yao tree here for grafting only but i need more soon.

First let's see if the tree will grow and if i can graf it as well. I also want to have more seeds to graft multiple rootstocks on it. I have no idea what rootstock i ve got now but i hope it is resistant to soil funghi.

DurianLover

• Bali, Indonesia
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 17, 2013, 03:43:08 AM »
According to Lindsey durian dulcis smells like industrial paint. Apparently it is only for hard core durian fanatics. I'm yet to come across one. Once I do, I will let you know :)

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #22 on: October 17, 2013, 04:29:56 AM »
Had a hard core durian fanatic friend, and he told me that of the other (non-zibethinus) species he liked kutajensis the best.
Oscar

Mike T

• Zone 12a
  • Cairns,Nth Qld, Australia
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 17, 2013, 05:00:56 AM »
I have been told by those who have tried most edible species that suluk (zibethinus x graveolans), kutajensis and D.macrantha are the finest non-zibethinus fruit.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk