Author Topic: For Sale- Mulberry scion wood  (Read 9936 times)

Fygee

• Las Vegas Gardening Community Admin
    • Las Vegas, NV
    • View Profile
    • Las Vegas Gardening Community
Re: For Sale- Mulberry scion wood
« Reply #25 on: May 20, 2021, 03:36:18 PM »
Gonna have to get some Himilayan and Austrailian Green in my life.

Mulberries grow stupid easy where I live. I have a World's Best Mulberry and while the fruit production is insane, it tastes really bland.
Continuing my journey to disprove those who say "You can't grow that in the desert" since 2013.

sc4001992

• USA, CA, Fullerton
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 20, 2021, 05:01:58 PM »
Brad, if you have any photos from your Red Himalayan can you post one here, my grafts just aren't getting much normal size fruits yet.

Fygee, you will also want to add the Black Pakistan, very sweet. I have the Persian mulberry grafted now but will not have fruits until next year.

DAVID M.

• USA,TX,SA9A
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 20, 2021, 05:22:41 PM »
I'M INTERESTED IN SOME MULBERRY SCION WOOD, IF YOU STILL HAVE SOME AVAILABLE. THANKS

Outdoorenth

• USA, Texas, Houston, 9a
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 20, 2021, 05:57:11 PM »

So far I prefer the taste of Himalayan.  I've tried all of these except the black Pakistan which will be ready to try soon.  The Thai dwarf is pretty bland.   White Pakistan is nice and sweet but Himalayan has strong flavor.

I might just have to get a Red Himalayan scion to graft and try. I love Australian Green and Pakistan, much better than Gerardi Dwarf and Dwarf Everbearing.

spaugh

• San Diego County California
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 20, 2021, 06:08:09 PM »
Brad, if you have any photos from your Red Himalayan can you post one here, my grafts just aren't getting much normal size fruits yet.

Fygee, you will also want to add the Black Pakistan, very sweet. I have the Persian mulberry grafted now but will not have fruits until next year.

my fruits seem skinny too.  they are about the size of the white pakistan.  i wish thry were fatter.  the taste is great though. 

ill try the black pakistan soon and compare.  if the flavor on the black is same, its probably better to grow. 
ill take a pic soon, they are all going to be ripe soon.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2021, 06:14:26 PM by spaugh »
Brad Spaugh

K-Rimes

• Santa Barbara
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: May 20, 2021, 06:14:10 PM »
All my himalayan fruits came out super skinny on the grafts this year then dried up. I think mulberries hate being in pots so I slapped that sucker in a gopher basket and into the ground.

spaugh

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 20, 2021, 06:32:50 PM »
my son says he rates them

1) white pak
2) black pak
3) himalayan
4) shangrila
5) dwarf thai
6) everbearing

he has been eating them I dont get any good ones the kids strip it the minute its ripe.

heres a dwarf thai, white and himalayans.  theres some bigger unripe himalayans on the tree I just tried to pick any that had color.  i think they will get larger when it gets hotter. 

« Last Edit: May 20, 2021, 06:35:23 PM by spaugh »
Brad Spaugh

sc4001992

• USA, CA, Fullerton
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 21, 2021, 01:43:34 AM »
Brad, I think I agree with your son's taste rating.
My Red Himalayan grafts have grown big but hardly any fruits and the few I had on each graft were very skinny and did not fully mature.
I hope next season the Himalayan fruits get larger. You will definitely like the Black Pakistan more, but only issue is the fruits do not store well so if you pick them you need to eat it that day, maybe 2 days tops before they get old. The Black Pakistan fruit is much softer than the White or Himalayan and has more juice. My fruits are just starting to ripen now.

spaugh

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 21, 2021, 10:34:28 AM »
I'll try some black Pakistan soon hopefully if the kids let me get some.  The Himalayan definitely puts out, it took a year or 2 here for it to mature now its covered in fruit. 
Brad Spaugh

beicadad

• San Diego
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: May 21, 2021, 11:26:57 AM »
Brad someone brought a bowl of black Pakistan to the last avocado tasting event and they were delicious.

I also find it to be better tasting than white ones. It’s juicer, fatter, and more flavorful. a few people who ate the BP said they were great, but the Persian black is even better.

Fygee

• Las Vegas, NV
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: May 21, 2021, 12:08:27 PM »

For sure. Question is, is it one where the tree gets huge or does it stay fairly compact with trimming? My space is starting to get limited.
Continuing my journey to disprove those who say "You can't grow that in the desert" since 2013.

K-Rimes

• Santa Barbara
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: May 21, 2021, 12:53:20 PM »

For sure. Question is, is it one where the tree gets huge or does it stay fairly compact with trimming? My space is starting to get limited.

Himalayan grows just as fast as Pakistani, imo. It looks basically identical foliage and all. I just put my Pakistani on "dwarf" rootstock in the ground. It was 6' last year and 10' this year so yeah, not really dwarf at all if you ask me.

spaugh

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: May 21, 2021, 04:13:26 PM »
the himanlayan tree wants to be giant
Brad Spaugh

Kevin Jones

• Alabama - USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: May 21, 2021, 04:36:10 PM »
My Pakistani easily got up to 80ft.... cut it back by 2/3 this winter... trying for a more manageable size...

Kevin

K-Rimes

• Santa Barbara
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: May 21, 2021, 05:49:22 PM »
My Pakistani easily got up to 80ft.... cut it back by 2/3 this winter... trying for a more manageable size...

Kevin

I think they make these things called chainsaws.

Sheeeesh though that's crazy. 80ft is too much! You must get fruit literally raining on you for weeks.

sc4001992

• USA, CA, Fullerton
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: May 21, 2021, 08:21:13 PM »
Kevin, did you mean 8 ft or 80ft ?

I didn't think the mulberry tree grows up to 80ft.

K-Rimes, yes I agree both the Black Pakistan and Red Himalayan are vigorous trees and grow large. I have one Black Pakistan that was 8ft tall and trunk diameter (2-1/2") that I cut back to 12" tall and will be putting it back in a 15 gal pot to try to keep it like a small bonsai. Now it should be under 4 ft and have fruits.

« Last Edit: July 24, 2021, 10:24:48 AM by sc4001992 »

sc4001992

• USA, CA, Fullerton
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: May 21, 2021, 08:53:31 PM »
Update, here's whats available now:

>see latest below<
« Last Edit: June 06, 2021, 02:41:34 PM by sc4001992 »

Kevin Jones

• Alabama - USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: May 22, 2021, 10:05:00 AM »
Eight - Zero - 80 ft... it grows in a shady area... and I think it was competing with the other trees for sunlight.
The bird appreciated it... picking fruit was not very practical though for me.

Kevin

« Last Edit: May 22, 2021, 10:06:45 AM by Kevin Jones »

sc4001992

• USA, CA, Fullerton
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: May 22, 2021, 10:29:51 AM »
Wow, that must be a sight to see. Like those giant Sequoia redwood. I went to our national park and saw these huge redwood tree so I had to buy one of those little gift plants in 2" pot. Now my tree is growing to large, one is 8ft and the other is 15ft tall.

Fygee

• Las Vegas, NV
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: May 24, 2021, 02:09:59 PM »
There's a 50+ year old mulberry tree at a local restaurant that's absolutely massive. 70+ ft conservatively.

It's a male though, so no fruit.

roblack

• Miami, FL 11A
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: May 24, 2021, 04:05:23 PM »
Great seller! Thank you for helping me with healthy scions of choice mulberry cultivars. =)

spaugh

• View Profile
« Reply #46 on: May 24, 2021, 09:35:03 PM »
Heres the Himalayan, I think they will still get bigger when the tree gets more mature and I start fertilizing it.  The trunk is 3 or 4 inches now and its 8 or 10ft tall and still looks really juvenile.  Ill take a pic of the tree soon.

Brad Spaugh

sc4001992

• USA, CA, Fullerton
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: May 24, 2021, 09:38:29 PM »
Nice Brad, the fruits are long. I hope it does fatten up a little more but it is a nice size.
Sounds like your tree is doing well, pretty big.

spaugh

• View Profile
« Reply #48 on: May 24, 2021, 09:47:06 PM »
I had multigrafted this himalayan tree with Shangri-la and black Pakistan, and dwarf thai.  But now I think going to chainsaw it off low to the ground and just keep the Himalayan.  I've got other trees with black and white Pakistan and dwarf thai.  The Shangri-la isn't a taste winner or productive winner so I'll probably chip that one. 
Brad Spaugh

sc4001992

• USA, CA, Fullerton
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: May 24, 2021, 09:51:03 PM »
Yup, I agree with you about the Shangri La, if you have space try growing Tice, it has much better taste than Shangri La. Also Tice fruit has a neat looking color change from green/white to pink, then dark red when ripe (yellow stem).