Author Topic: Old Mango Orchard in Boynton Beach  (Read 7545 times)

mikesid

• Zone 10B/11a - East Boynton Beach - Florida
    • View Profile
Old Mango Orchard in Boynton Beach
« on: April 17, 2014, 01:31:50 PM »
I stumbled across this old mango orchard in the city and figured I would share some photos. They are still producing too.

puglvr1

• USA, Central, FL xxxxx, Zone 9b
    • View Profile
Re: Old Mango Orchard in Boynton Beach
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2014, 01:56:24 PM »
Wow, those are some very Large and probably pretty old Mango trees...maybe you can taste a couple this summer and let us know how they taste or if you find out what variety it is...Thanks for posting!!

mikesid

• Zone 10B/11a - East Boynton Beach - Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2014, 02:02:15 PM »
I'll definitely try to taste them if I get a chance...I'm sure this will be a parking lot soon or some business but it's nice to see a portion of the remaining groves around here.

demingcr

• USA, Fort Myers, FL 33901 Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2014, 03:33:17 PM »
beautiful, thanks for posting :)
- Colin

Tropicalgrower89

• Zone 11a, Florida
    • Pembroke Pines, FL, 33024, 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2014, 03:46:32 PM »
Cool :)
Alexi

bradflorida

• Osprey, FL. Zone 10A.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2014, 11:48:39 PM »
Cool!  I wonder how long ago the groves were planted, and how long they have been abandoned. 

Are they on city property or private property?
Brad

FruitFanatic

• Sauteurs, Grenada
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Fanatic
« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2014, 02:31:05 PM »
Great pictures, thanks for sharing. Bring a bucket next time!
Peace Corps Volunteer living in Grenada.. check out my fruit blog ---> www.fruitfanatic.net

MangoFang

• Palm Springs, CA, Zone 9B
  • Palm Springs, CA
    • Riverside, Palm Springs/CA, 92264,9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2014, 03:23:37 PM »
I see a LOT of red blush on the Fruit, Mike - my guess is
YOU KNOW WHAT!!!!!!

Gary Atkins ( ;))

plambalot

• Deerfield Beach
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 13, 2014, 10:24:41 AM »
Hi..

I had seen your photos of the mango grove in Boyton.  My kids love picking the fruit when they come across random trees.  Where exactly is this old grove in Boyton? Could you email me at pelco5@aol.com.

Thanks..

Paul 

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 13, 2014, 10:44:54 AM »
Hi..

I had seen your photos of the mango grove in Boyton.  My kids love picking the fruit when they come across random trees.  Where exactly is this old grove in Boyton? Could you email me at pelco5@aol.com.

Thanks..

Paul

I am confused, you encourage your kids to steal fruit?  Old trees or not, unless it is a public grove which it is not, these "old groves" are on private property and are not there for people to take fruit at will...
« Last Edit: June 13, 2014, 11:22:00 AM by bsbullie »
- Rob

gunnar429

• Nothing like fruit from your own yard!
    • West Park, FL 33023, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 13, 2014, 10:55:51 AM »
Truly Tropical has a few picking tours each season.  That is the best way to avoid the theft issue and still get the picking experience.  Plus, Har gives the tours and he knows SO much!.  There is one coming up in the next month or so.  I recommend it.
~Jeff

"Say you just can't live that negative way, if you know what I mean. Make way for the positive day." - Positive Vibration

Doglips

• Houston TX 9A
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 13, 2014, 11:07:52 AM »
Where ever it is it looks like at least some maintenance is being performed, and there are no (limited) weeds at the trunks.

Patrick

• Administrator
    • USA, Palm Beach, FL 33467, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 13, 2014, 11:24:44 AM »
Mango trees are on private property 99% of the time.  Trespassing and theft are negative actions that only discount our wonderful hobby.  Be sure to make contact, and ask permission prior to picking fruit from anyone else's trees but your own.  People who don't understand fruit trees think that they fruit year round and are providing tons of fruit that is replenished as picked. 

Theft is theft!

plambalot

• Deerfield Beach
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 13, 2014, 12:39:19 PM »
Our kids always ask permission to pick their own fruit and veggies...they enjoy when we take them to U Picks...we do not allow or encourage theft...are you for real with your ridiculous response? 

I responded to the person who posted the pictures to inquire of this was a place where they could go and pick fruit like mango's...Thank you to gunnar429 who suggested Truly Tropical, you seem to understand where I was going with my inquiry! I just showed the kids the TT Youtube and the are very excited!

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 13, 2014, 12:45:17 PM »
Our kids always ask permission to pick their own fruit and veggies...they enjoy when we take them to U Picks...we do not allow or encourage theft...are you for real with your ridiculous response? 

I responded to the person who posted the pictures to inquire of this was a place where they could go and pick fruit like mango's...Thank you to gunnar429 who suggested Truly Tropical, you seem to understand where I was going with my inquiry! I just showed the kids the TT Youtube and the are very excited!

Our reaction was based on what you posted: "My kids love picking the fruit when they come across random trees."
- Rob

jc

• Treasure Coast, Florida, 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 13, 2014, 03:10:31 PM »
Them's fight'n words! 

Fruit thieves mascarading behind the innocent appearance of their children. I bet their "children" are actually dwarf conmen dressed as children.
JC

zands

• mango_zango
    • Zone 10b, Florida, USA, 33321
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 13, 2014, 04:34:15 PM »

Are you growing any fruit trees? You have the right idea teaching your children to know where fruit comes from. And hopefully getting them to eat it instead  of processed food.

gunnar429

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 13, 2014, 08:13:52 PM »
i think they'd definitely enjoy the Truly Tropical tour
~Jeff

"Say you just can't live that negative way, if you know what I mean. Make way for the positive day." - Positive Vibration

cwojo

• Boynton Beach, FL 33436 zone 10a/10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 13, 2014, 09:26:19 PM »
Where ever it is it looks like at least some maintenance is being performed, and there are no (limited) weeds at the trunks.
There is no maintenance being performed. These are on private property although there are no posted signs. Weeds don't grow around the bases of huge shaded mango trees.

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #19 on: June 14, 2014, 03:43:42 AM »
That's definitely not an abandoned grove. Grass is too short and neat, and trees look pruned. Anyway, even in an unmantained grove, or even in a grove without private property signs you shouldn't go in without permission. Here if you do go in most that will happen is that someone will scream at you, but in Florida......you risk a lot more....2ND ammendment rights, stand your ground....and all that!  ;)
Oscar

Doglips

• Houston TX 9A
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 16, 2014, 06:25:43 PM »
That's definitely not an abandoned grove. Grass is too short and neat, and trees look pruned. Anyway, even in an unmantained grove, or even in a grove without private property signs you shouldn't go in without permission. Here if you do go in most that will happen is that someone will scream at you, but in Florida......you risk a lot more....2ND ammendment rights, stand your ground....and all that!  ;)
Absolutely agree.  I noticed the grass too.  There would be seedling trees and bushes popping up if left to the wild.

There is a disconnect that ppl have on this topic of don't take mine, but I am not harming anyone by taking apparently unwanted fruit.  I admit some guilt in these thoughts. But how do you know it is unwanted?

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #21 on: June 16, 2014, 09:02:51 PM »
Absolutely agree.  I noticed the grass too.  There would be seedling trees and bushes popping up if left to the wild.

There is a disconnect that ppl have on this topic of don't take mine, but I am not harming anyone by taking apparently unwanted fruit.  I admit some guilt in these thoughts. But how do you know it is unwanted?

If my mower breaks down or i get sick and miss one mowing my orchard can look a whole lot worse than that! Does that mean it's abandoned or that i want people going in and stealing fruit? Absolutely not. Also it's not just a matter of losing fruit, also a problem of people damaging plants, driving over plants, or of taking very rare fruits they don't even know what they are. Also there is a liability risk if some dummy climbs a tree and falls down and hurts themselves, then they sue you while they're in there stealing your fruits.  >:(
« Last Edit: June 17, 2014, 04:15:29 AM by fruitlovers »
Oscar

gunnar429

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 17, 2014, 01:06:14 AM »
or if they eat an unopened ackee or something else that's poisonous.  Unless you planted it, it's hard to be certain what it is...plus the theft, trespassing, and stand your ground--private property is just that--private.  No thanks.
~Jeff

Doglips

• Houston TX 9A
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 17, 2014, 06:53:24 AM »
I'm not referring to climbing a fence in a black ski mask, in the dark on a clandestine mission.
I was really referring to the idea of that they are going to waste if I don't pick them, therefore no one is harmed concept.

jc

• Treasure Coast, Florida, 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 17, 2014, 07:28:06 AM »
If it's not your property and you don't have explicit permission stay off of it! 

If my old pick up truck is sitting in the driveway, not being used, can you just take it for a spin? 

What's the matter with you? :o
JC

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk